Hat Track.

Graphics Cards, Sound Cards, Joysticks, Computers, etc. Ask or advise here!

Hat Track.

Postby Anthindelahunt » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:27 pm

Does anyone here use Hat Track and what is your
opinion?
Where can one buy one and what does it cost.I
believe it is cheaper than Tracker IR.I think that
what it is called.

Anthin.
Anthindelahunt
Major
Major

Re: Hat Track.

Postby OldAirmail » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:23 pm

TrackIR user from sometime in 2012. A few words about the TrackIR will be very relevant to the TrackHat.

I bought the deluxe TrackIR set with the ball cap clip-on and the IR LED side mount device that has to be attached to headphones.

Point 1
Do you use a headphone set? Because both of them offer a device that will attach to it.

The big problem, as far as I was concerned, is that you now have TWO sets of USB cables hanging off your head.

I don't, normally, use a headphone set, so I disliked it immensely, and never used it more than an hour.

The TrackHat side mount is stronger than the TrackIR, so that's a plus.

Point 2
The TrackIR ball cap Clip gets a bad rep for it breaking. Maybe little kids break it a lot. Mine's not only doing great, but I prefer it because once I put the cap on I'm totally free to move about without any USB cables. (PS - And I don't like hats)

How is that relevant to the TrackHat?

I'd strongly recommend buying the Trackhat Plus. It has no USB cable. The LEDs get power from a 10 hour rechargeable battery. The only negative that I see is that you have to keep your Trackhat Plus clean, the LED's look like they're built into the cap. Could be wrong, though.

Point 3
The Trackhat opentrack software.

I know nothing abut it.

The "relevance" point is...?

The TrackIR software lets you set the tracking speed from decimal points to full numbers. When you first start using either of them you will probably get motion sickness.

For first time users of the TrackIR software, I'd strongly recommend setting it to .3. As time goes by you can slowly move it up.

If the Trackhat opentrack software doesn't let you do something like that I'd have a hard time recommending it.

Either one will give you a better flight experience.

Think about this.
You're coming in for the final turn to line up on the runway.

YOU TURN YOUR HEAD TO LOOK AT THE POSSITION OF THE RUNWAY, JUST AS YOU WOULD IN A REAL LANDING BEFORE MAKING THAT TURN.

Yeah. I'd recommend getting either. It takes a little getting used to at first, but using a head tracker makes flying in a flight sim A LOT more natural.

PS - Years ago I tried another program - FaceTrackNoIR.

It worked, but at the time I didn't like all that much.

But that's been about four years ago, and if you have, or can borrow, an old Webcam, then give it a try.
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby slimcooper2002 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:22 pm

These are programs that allow you to look around in FSX with using the hat switch, right? Now let's say you turn your head to look out a virtual side window, in real life you're no longer looking at your monitor are you? Or am I missing something? I've been curious about TrackIR Since I first heard about it when FS 2004 "A Flight to Remember" came out
slimcooper2002
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Anthindelahunt » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:13 am

I looked at the site you posted for trackhat+.I
am a bit confused.Which one of the offerings
contains everything needed?.The 50 odd pound one?
What do you think OAM?

Anthin.
Anthindelahunt
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:48 am

Anthindelahunt wrote:I looked at the site you posted for trackhat+.I
am a bit confused.Which one of the offerings
contains everything needed?.The 50 odd pound one?
What do you think OAM?

Anthin.

Based on my personal experience, I'd recommend - TrackHat Plus head tracking kit - £67.00.

You'd get the cap with the infrared LED's and battery pack built in. (No long wires going back to your computer)
The altered Webcam (you won't be able to use it as a normal Webcam, but this is an exceptional bargain!)
And a mounting clip that attaches the camera to the top of your monitor.

Then download the free software - Trackhat opentrack.

If I didn't already own the TrackIR, I'd probably buy this kit.

One very minor problem with any of these Infrared head tracking setups - They work by detecting infrared (heat). If you have any source of heat behind, or close to the side, of your head, you'll need to do something about that.

What heat source ???

The sun for one. But more likely an incandescent light. I have a tall floor lamp behind, and to the right of, me. That light kept the tracker from working.

Not a problem - Replace the incandescent lightbulb with a florescent bulb. An LED lightbulb may also work, but many of them produce a fair amount of heat. Or just move the light, if possible.

Remember what I said at the end of my first post - If you already own a Webcam you can try the free program -FaceTrackNoIR. I haven't tried the newer version so if you do, let us all know how it worked out.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:06 am

slimcooper2002 wrote:These are programs that allow you to look around in FSX with using the hat switch, right? Now let's say you turn your head to look out a virtual side window, in real life you're no longer looking at your monitor are you? Or am I missing something? I've been curious about TrackIR Since I first heard about it when FS 2004 "A Flight to Remember" came out

These are programs that let you look around the cockpit by turning your head just a little.

Lets say that you're looking at the screen and turn your head a half inch. The monitor view will react as if you turned your head a foot. Turn your head another half inch, and the monitor's view will shift another foot.

When you get used to it, it's almost like an optical illusion. By turning your head just fractions of an inch, you'll be able to "look" directly behind you.

With a little bit of acclimation it becomes very natural.

But if you don't start off with very small movement settings (remember my recommendation of the .3 setting?), you'll quickly start feeling nauseous. After several days of slowly increasing the "speed" of the head turn, everything will be natural. The amount of time will depend on you.

This video shows how head tracking works in real life - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx7cTs3K708

And for those who can see the embedded YouTube video -
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx7cTs3K708[/youtube]

IMPORTANT NOTE -At least with TrackIR - when you switch to an outside view, you'll want to pause the head tracking software. There are ways to get around that, but they don't work very well. The button that I use to switch to an outside view also pauses TrackIR. The button to switch to the 3D cockpit view will also resume it.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Anthindelahunt » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:39 am

Thanks OAM.I better start saving.That 67 pounds
equals $110.00 Aud. Plus Shipping. :o

Anthin. :shifty:
ps.Definitely want one.
Anthindelahunt
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:15 am

If you can find a cheap Webcam, give FaceTrackNoIR a try. Like I said, it's free.

You'd have to look where you live, but over here you can even get a new Webcam cheap - USB 2.0 HD Webcam $8.88
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby slimcooper2002 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:10 am

Thanks OAM, it only works in vc correct?
slimcooper2002
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:26 pm

slimcooper2002 wrote:Thanks OAM, it only works in vc correct?

It'll work with an external shot but the directions are reversed - you look left, the camera looks right. Think of it as a see-saw with the aircraft as the pivot point.

If you mainly fly in spotter view, you won't like it.

If you want to imagine that you're really are in the cockpit it's absolutely great. Just like in real life you can look all around you.

BTW - If you play any combat/fighter games it'll give you an extra advantage.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Anthindelahunt » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:32 pm

OAM,I want to get the Trackhat + when I get enough money
but can't find how much they charge for shipping.The few things
I have bought through Ebay from England have turned out to be
really expensive,shipping wise.

Anthin.
Anthindelahunt
Major
Major

Postby Canuck1955 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:29 am

As an owner of both I have to say they are both tremendous bits of kit. I have had two TrackIr's over the years dating back to 2003. I got TrackHat 18 months ago. They perform similar jobs with slight caveats.
TrackIR is quite a fragile thing (my latest one, the supporting legs broke of due to a cheap plastic bearing in the neck of the device - presently it sits atop my monitor by Velcro)and can be affected adversely by background light such as a window or a ceiling light bulb which is behind you. I rarely use it nowadays

TrackHat is made of tough plastic and quite robust. It does not suffers from extraneous light sources interference. It does however require the use of 2 USB ports which could be an issue to some. I use it in preference to TrackIR nowadays but wish I had held off on the purchase as the recent ones are now wireless.

TrackHat is waaay cheaper too.
Canuck1955
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Canuck1955 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:34 am

Anthindelahunt wrote:OAM,I want to get the Trackhat + when I get enough money
but can't find how much they charge for shipping.The few things
I have bought through Ebay from England have turned out to be
really expensive,shipping wise.

Anthin.

Why go through EBay? I ordered mine direct from them, it took about 10 days to arrive and cost around $5 p$p - that was coming to BC Canada. They were quite efficient in their dealings with me imho.
Canuck1955
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Anthindelahunt » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:48 am

I was not going to go through Ebay.I was just
saying that shipping was expensive from England.

I"Fellow Canuck" live further away from England than
BC,so I guess shipping at maybe $20-25.

Thanks for the reply.As soon as I can save up I will
get a unit.

Anthin. :mrgreen:
Anthindelahunt
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:31 pm

Like I said -

OldAirmail wrote:If you can find a cheap Webcam, give FaceTrackNoIR a try. Like I said, it's free.

You'd have to look where you live, but over here you can even get a new Webcam cheap - USB 2.0 HD Webcam $8.88

It's been three, maybe four, years since I tried FaceTrackNoIR. It worked then, and I would imagine that it should be better now.

If you don't have a webcam, and don't want the buy a new one, check a second hand store. If you have stores where you're permitted to post a notice, post one for a webcam. I wouldn't offer more than $5 total for a used one.

Note -Windows 10 doesn't support many of the old webcams. That only means the Windows 10 won't let you see yourself on your screen. But A LOT of the older programs WILL work with them anyway.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Return to Hardware