GMAX Tutorials on Youtube

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

GMAX Tutorials on Youtube

Postby Azframer » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:27 pm

I had never seen a GMAX Tutorial that actually walked you through a step by step on making a plane model specifically for FSX. Well I found a guy that actually does that exactly. Shaking my head now after watching some of these videos at different approach you can take with GMAX over what you can do in Blender.
Just thought I would share.

This link is to the list of videos.
http://www.youtube.com/user/IFRfun/vid ... e_view=500

Rick
Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: GMAX Tutorial

Postby Hawkeye07 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:15 pm

Hi Azframer! Thanks for the link. I've always wondered about the ins and outs of Gmax. Now I can see how it's done by a knowledgeable user.

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Azframer » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:52 pm

Yea I was watching through the videos posted and I really love the ability to use splines to make some difficult shapes. I figure I will try and give it a shot on another project I had been thinking about. I had to get my head out of CAD in Blender, now I have to get my head out of CAD and Blender to grasp GMAX. Working with splines is very appealing though.

Rick
Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Azframer » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:33 pm

Make sure you have you Game pack installed properly too.
Steps:
Have a look in this SDK folder and then browse to the following folder: "Environment Kit\Modeling SDK". You'll see the folder FSX_GmaxGamePack.
Copy the folder FSX_GmaxGamePack to the folder <gmax installation folder>\gamepacks
Copy the GMax shortcut from <gmax installation folder>\gamepacks\FSX_GmaxGamePack to your desktop.
Start GMax only from this new shortcut. Try it.
Check if you see the "FS Tools" menu like the following screenshot:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.p ... x_gamepack

Rick
Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Milton » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:43 pm

Azframer wrote:I had never seen a GMAX Tutorial that actually walked you through a step by step on making a plane model specifically for FSX. Well I found a guy that actually does that exactly. Shaking my head now after watching some of these videos at different approach you can take with GMAX over what you can do in Blender.
Just thought I would share.

This link is to the list of videos.
http://www.youtube.com/user/IFRfun/vid ... e_view=500

Rick

Hi Rick, happy that you posted a link to my tutorials. Building aircraft from scratch to the finished product is certainly challenging for someone new at modeling. My intention was to address the new or beginning modelers who are using Gmax. The tutorials are extensive, in depth, but easy to follow and understand, step by step, precisely for the beginning modelers. It goes beyond exterior modeling to VC's, setting up contact points, use of Airwrench for the flight model, etc.

If you subscribe to the channel, you will also see videos explaining how to convert FS9 gmax projects to FSX native.

There is also a video on setting up a functioning VC panel in have it working in the sim in 15 minutes. I have published numerous other graphic tutorials that can be found at Sim-outhouse in the Design forum. Notable is one using the Cessna C-162 as the subject aircraft.

The aircraft I used in the YouTube video tutorials was built for the tutorial. A refined version will be released within the next two weeks here at Simviation.

If you are not familiar with my work over the last 15 years, just look to the top of this page ... see the Beech D18S twin radial ... that's mine, done back in 2005. I just re-released an FSX native version of it.

I have around 50 aircraft, ships, and cars on the Simviation website.

Kind Regards,

Milton Shupe (IFRfun)
Milton
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: GMAX Tutorials on Youtube

Postby pete » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:11 am

These are absolutely fantastic! I must think of a way to incorporate them into the main site so more Simviation people see them
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby B0ikat » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:12 am

Interesting experiment/learning experience: After I finish the BR Starfighter in Blender, I try the same in GMAX.
B0ikat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:50 am

Excellent! Thanks Milton. :clap:

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Milton » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:14 am

pete wrote:These are absolutely fantastic! I must think of a way to incorporate them into the main site so more Simviation people see them

Thanks Pete; I think the community would be well served by that.

I established a thread at my home site stepping through each step with explanation with direct links to each video.

I have all the raw material for that if you would like to use it with a thread here.

EDIT: It may be easier for me to do that; don't know, but let me know how I can help get that done. Thanks

Kind Regards
Milton Shupe
Milton
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Azframer » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:24 pm

Milton when I ran across these videos I knew they were exactly what I would need to get to be able to understand GMAX and posted a link to my Facebook group. I had downloaded what you have posted at the time and I have gotten behind since you now have more videos added.
Thank you for your time you have devoted to our hobby.

Rick
Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Milton » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:48 pm

Azframer wrote:Milton when I ran across these videos I knew they were exactly what I would need to get to be able to understand GMAX and posted a link to my Facebook group. I had downloaded what you have posted at the time and I have gotten behind since you now have more videos added.
Thank you for your time you have devoted to our hobby.

Rick

Hi Rick; thanks for your comments. The videos are a lot of work, but also a lot of fun. When I started, there were few tools, tips, and tutorial help around so I struggled through it with lots of frustration. I vowed to share what knowledge I learned with others getting started. So, I have done many text and graphic tutorials, and many video tutorials unpublished. I decided as a result of feedback to do a full series as I was between project work at the time.

The YT tutes are FS9 based but the principles apply to any sim.

My intention is to do another series of a more conventional prop aircraft for FSX so I can demonstrate other animations not included in the current series, and focus on FSX Tools, animations, attach points, and materials.
Milton
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby FelixFFDS2 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:19 pm

Since I've been out of the game for some time, I hadn't seen these, but ANYTHING by Milton is, for all purposes, flightsim canon!

Excellent (and for me, since I'm trying to relearn what I forgot!)
FelixFFDS2
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design