DTG Flight Sim World is now available in "Early Access"

Other current Flight Simulators

DTG Flight Sim World is now available in "Early Access"

Postby Daube » Fri May 19, 2017 8:48 am

Hi all,

Here is a summary presenting the main information about Flight Sim World (FSW), which replaces Flight School.

- It's the new sim from DTG. Flight School was a first try. DTG has now stopped Flight School (it's not available for purchase anymore), and all Flight School owners got Flight Sim World for free. For new customers, Flight Sim World is sold for 25 euros on Steam. And just like Flight Scholl, it includes FTX Global textures by default. However, it also includes A2A AccuFeel, which is cool. For 25 euros, that's quite a nice package.

- It's still based on FSX, but with 64 bits: just like Flight School, this new sim is essentially a 64 bits FSX, with some new graphical effects, new features and new user interface.

- It's "Early Access": it means it's an alpha version. The sim is not complete, the development is not finished, many things are not available, many things still need to be tweaked, there are still many bugs, the colors/shaders still need to be adjusted etc... DTG is looking for feedback to ensure most problems are solved before the final version.

- Payware editors will be free to sell addons for FSW from any webstore (pcaviator, simmarket, own stores etc...) as long as these addons are ALSO sold via Steam. This can be problematic because of the validation processes to allow an addon to be sold on Steam. This topic is quite sensible at the moment, and is heavily discussed.

- Freeware addons will be allowed, however DTG is not sure yet how the SDK will be distributed in future. (payware addons are also impacted by this).

- Some users have already managed to use FSX sceneries in FSW. You just need to use SceneryConfigEditor, and make sure you include all of the necessary libraries. :)

- Some users have tried to use FSX airplanes in FSW, with limited success. They display but most gauges do not work. Buttons are not clickable too, if I understood correctly.

I already bought it but I'll need several hours to download it (fortunately, just like FSX Steam, it's just done in a few clicks). Looking forward to the various feedbacks.
Just keep in mind it's early access, so unfinished. With realistic expectations, you'll get much pleasant experience ;)
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: DTG Flight Sim World is now available in "Early Access"

Postby Daube » Fri May 19, 2017 8:48 am

Also, I believe this section of the forum should be renamed to "Flight Sim World", instead of Flight School ;)
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hawkeye07 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:50 am

I posted the following yesterday on the previous FSW topic. I see some teething problems ahead for this new sim. System requirements for sure for those of us who don't own a high end system. I would suspect that's a rather sizeable group. :think: The steam site has a forum with a lot of questions and concerns. It might bear reading for those of us who are looking for "The Next Best Thing."

Yesterday's post:
I just got an email from the Just Flight website announcing the "Flight Sim World Early Access" is available via their site. $29.99 (Steam account required)

Features:
Fleet of highly detailed GA aircraft
Easy to use flight planner
Realistic flight model
Integrated Orbx FTX Global textures<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Really!!! that's good news..
Lessons and missions to test your skills
Pilot profile to keep track of your flight hours
Pro Mission Editor

I've copied the system requirements from the Just Flight site

System Requirements:

OS: Windows 7 / 8 / 10 (64-bit versions only)<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Possible OUCH!!
Processor: AMD APU Kaveri A10-7850K or Intel Core i3 6100
Memory: 8GB RAM
Graphics: Radeon R9 Fury or GeForce GTX 970 (4GB VRAM)<<<<<<<<<<Another possible OUCH!! (and I just bought a GTX 960 a short while ago!! :lol:
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband internet connection
Storage: 40GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
Steam account required<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<No surprise! :o

BUT NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
System requirements are subject to changes during the optimisation process.

Please note: We are only able to accept payment for this title via PayPal.

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Hawkeye07 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:57 am

Daube, How did your download go? I read some comments about it being a very slow process. That could be caused by any number of things which aren't the fault of the download process. What about sim start up time? How long to get it going?

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Awaken » Fri May 19, 2017 12:30 pm

When I downloaded it yesterday it took about 20 minutes. when I load the sim it starts up pretty quick, around 15 seconds.

Here are some new recommended settings from the Steam FSW page.
Recommended:
OS: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7, Intel i7 6700k
Memory: 8 MB RAM
Graphics: Radeon R9 Fury or GeForce GTX 970 (4GB VRAM)
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 40 MB available space
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
Additional Notes: System requirements are subject to changes during the optimization process

I also edited a file called FSW.cfg, pretty much the same as FSX.cfg, mainly LOD_RADIUS=6.500, made things look a bit better. I'm getting around 20-40 fps depending on where i'm flying. I've enjoyed it so far.
AMD R5 1600 AF on ASROCK B450, Teamgroup 16GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1650 Super , 500 GB SSD and 3TB HDD, EVGA 500W PS, ASUS 27in. MX27A 2k monitor, Windows 10
Awaken
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby papituwall » Fri May 19, 2017 12:53 pm

Thanks Daube for your real description of FSW. I agree with you.

I had purchased FSC (I was interested in seeig FSX in 64 bits) so yesterday I downloaded FSW in less than 1 hour and installed it very fast.

I run an medium-low HP PC with i7 @ 2,8, 8Gb memory and a GTX660 (I replaced the original 260 in order to get DX11).

To my surprise with the default settings (medium) everything was right, getting 25+ fps on G1000 and 30+ fps in steam gauge planes. Nvidia inspector not needed.

FSW has similar user interface to FSC. In comparison with FSC, the improvement in scenery, clouds etc. is important and also in performance. Clouds don't have the performance impact as in FSX-P3D.

The 7 default planes are good (3 were in FSC) and cover all possibilities of light aircraft.

If we think that Lockheed Martin using FSX, has needed several years and continuous updates to optimize P3D till V3.4, FSW IMO is a good start, looks like Dovetail team are aware of the problems of a flight sim.
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Postby Daube » Fri May 19, 2017 12:59 pm

Hawkeye07 wrote:Daube, How did your download go? I read some comments about it being a very slow process. That could be caused by any number of things which aren't the fault of the download process. What about sim start up time? How long to get it going?

My download is still on-going. Currently at 71% :/
My internet connection is quite bad, my maximum download speed is something like 450 KBytes / sec. :?

Concerning the system requirements, I don't think anybody in the sim world is still using 32bits operating systems. These are dinausaurs really. Even back in the Win7 days, I think the vast majority of the users went for the 64bits version anyways. So I don't see the 64 bits requirement as a "OUCH", but more like a "OH YEAH FINALLY!!!" ;)
Appart from this, FSW just needs a bit more graphic card power than FSX really. Anybody with a recent enough video card should be ok. I'm pretty sure your 960 should be fine, as long as you don't install too many HD textures :)
And the computer RAM can now be fully used. No more OOMs because you looked at that nice detailled scenery at the wrong time :lol: :roll:

I'll try to write some feedback when I am finally able to launch the sim, but that will probably happen tomorrow only...
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hawkeye07 » Fri May 19, 2017 9:11 pm

Daube wrote:
Hawkeye07 wrote:Daube, How did your download go? I read some comments about it being a very slow process. That could be caused by any number of things which aren't the fault of the download process. What about sim start up time? How long to get it going?

My download is still on-going. Currently at 71% :/
My internet connection is quite bad, my maximum download speed is something like 450 KBytes / sec. :?

Concerning the system requirements, I don't think anybody in the sim world is still using 32bits operating systems. These are dinosaurs really. Even back in the Win7 days, I think the vast majority of the users went for the 64bits version anyways. So I don't see the 64 bits requirement as a "OUCH", but more like a "OH YEAH FINALLY!!!" ;)
Appart from this, FSW just needs a bit more graphic card power than FSX really. Anybody with a recent enough video card should be ok. I'm pretty sure your 960 should be fine, as long as you don't install too many HD textures :)
And the computer RAM can now be fully used. No more OOMs because you looked at that nice detailled scenery at the wrong time :lol: :roll:

I'll try to write some feedback when I am finally able to launch the sim, but that will probably happen tomorrow only...

Thanks for the feed back!! About the dinosaurs :oops: ....I just recently bought W7 64 bit. Ha-Ha!! Patience, I'm evolving. :lol: I had decided to install a second hard drive with the 64 bit system specifically for FSX while my original W7 32 bit hard drive does everything else such as doing what I am right now.

What is their starting line up for aircraft?

Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby napamule » Sun May 21, 2017 2:22 am

I don't think there is anything such as: '32 bit Hard Drive' and '64 bit Hard Drive'. There is Fat32 FILE SYSTEM and NTFS FILE SYSTEM. If both hard drives are NTFS then Win 7 32 or 64 bit makes no difference. I have hard drives I used with Win XP 32 bit and they work on Win 7 64 bit. Of course there are IDE and SATA hard drives and that has to do with motherboard drivers and not Windows 32 or 64 bit OS. Live and learn.
Chuck B
Napamule
napamule
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Portover:DTG Flight Sim World is now available in "Early Acc

Postby papituwall » Sun May 21, 2017 4:02 am

For those concerned about addons in FSW:

How to mod FSX aircraft into FSW! (Jets & Freewares)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =929181307

The question is in VC. After having made several portovers, IMO the conversion of FSX-P3D planes to FSW should not be a major problem for developers.
papituwall
Captain
Captain

Re: Portover:DTG Flight Sim World is now available in "Early

Postby Daube » Sun May 21, 2017 9:55 am

papituwall wrote:For those concerned about addons in FSW:

How to mod FSX aircraft into FSW! (Jets & Freewares)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =929181307

The question is in VC. After having made several portovers, IMO the conversion of FSX-P3D planes to FSW should not be a major problem for developers.

Of course it's possible to port FSX airplanes to FSW, but it is important to say their VC will not work. If the gauges are 100% XML format (no DLL or external modules), they might display, but you won't be able to click anything. That means FSX aircrafts will be totally useless in FSW. Not worth the effort, I'd say.
FSX sceneries however, work perfectly :)
Daube
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Hawkeye07 » Sun May 21, 2017 12:12 pm

napamule wrote:I don't think there is anything such as: '32 bit Hard Drive' and '64 bit Hard Drive'. There is Fat32 FILE SYSTEM and NTFS FILE SYSTEM. If both hard drives are NTFS then Win 7 32 or 64 bit makes no difference. I have hard drives I used with Win XP 32 bit and they work on Win 7 64 bit. Of course there are IDE and SATA hard drives and that has to do with motherboard drivers and not Windows 32 or 64 bit OS. Live and learn.
Chuck B
Napamule

Let me clarify this if I may. You're right it's not the "Hard Drive" itself that is 32 or 64 bit but rather the operating system. I have one hard drive that has Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit OS)
and another that has Window 7 Ultimate (64 bit OS). The advantage of the 64 bit OS is that it utilizes 8GB of RAM vs the max of 4GB the 32 bit OS can utilize.

Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby jamarogers » Mon May 22, 2017 7:19 pm

The flightsimworld.com site specifies "Graphics: Radeon R9 Fury or GeForce GTX 970 (4 GB VRAM)" as both MINIMUM and RECOMMENDED for graphics. Surely this is in error??? This is a $300 card!!!
jamarogers
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Awaken » Tue May 23, 2017 1:12 am

jamarogers wrote:The flightsimworld.com site specifies "Graphics: Radeon R9 Fury or GeForce GTX 970 (4 GB VRAM)" as both MINIMUM and RECOMMENDED for graphics. Surely this is in error??? This is a $300 card!!!

The GTX 970 is equivalent to a GTX 1060, which is a $240- 180 card. I picked mine up on sale for $170. FSW seems to be running OK on my 3GB card.
AMD R5 1600 AF on ASROCK B450, Teamgroup 16GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1650 Super , 500 GB SSD and 3TB HDD, EVGA 500W PS, ASUS 27in. MX27A 2k monitor, Windows 10
Awaken
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Xplane, Flightgear, Orbiter and other Flight Simulators