1+ hour from Dovetail Games on the new Flight Sim World

Other current Flight Simulators

1+ hour from Dovetail Games on the new Flight Sim World

Postby OldAirmail » Sat May 13, 2017 12:48 am

This video is both interesting and quite boring.

Listen very carefully and you'll hear several times where they are referring to Flight Sim World - Early Access Review as still being part of the old flight sim system - FSX.

It is, of course, a 64 bit flight sim so many of the memory limitations, such as Out Of Memory will no longer be a problem.

As to the 64bit part, many people think that just by switching over to 64 bit software things will automatically be better. Not gona happen. There will be more options for the game designers, and many improvements for flight sim enthusiasts, but the big improvements will come over time. They do mention that.

What they don't mention may be the main point - What about freeware aircraft and scenery? Again, they mention "partners" software being available on their website, and some references to "tools" being available. That doesn't necessarily mean "free" tools or freeware though.

Most people seem to be happy using their joystick buttons and keyboards to "Fly". That won't change, and may even get a little bit better.

However those who like to control their aircraft on a higher level will be loosing a very important aid - FSUIPC.

Now FSUIPC IS NOT a part of FSX but it was developed to gain access to a great many of the unsupported commands.

Well.... Dovetail Games is cutting it's access, so to speak. There are a great many add-ons that use FSUIPC even if the users don't know that they ARE using it.

In it's place, Dovetail Games is vowing to provide more capabilities through SimConnect.

Personally, I have a hard time believing that SimConnect could replace FSUIPC. I suppose that the software and hardware makers depending on FSUIPC will just have to give it up, or learn newer ways.

But in the end, it's the users who may loose out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n6I2XHG2fU

YouTube video below
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n6I2XHG2fU[/youtube]

Shown several times is the Scottish airport EGEO. This is it in Prepar3d & Orbx.

.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Re: 1+ hour from Dovetail Games on the new Flight Sim World

Postby Canuck1955 » Sat May 13, 2017 1:38 am

The freeware developers made MSFS. Without them the genre would not have grown the way it has. Dovetail, turn your back on freeware and you will fail. You have to provide freeware tools for developers and not hinder them. That is all. :naughty:
Canuck1955
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby hertzie » Sat May 13, 2017 6:48 am

You're ab-so-lu-te-ly right, Canuck!!

hertzie
hertzie
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby B0ikat » Sat May 13, 2017 7:10 pm

Canuck1955 wrote:The freeware developers made MSFS. Without them the genre would not have grown the way it has. Dovetail, turn your back on freeware and you will fail. You have to provide freeware tools for developers and not hinder them. That is all. :naughty:

I think that's part of the reason MS Flight didn't catch on. That and they turned a sim into a Game.
B0ikat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby pete » Sun May 14, 2017 2:49 am

Canuck1955 wrote:The freeware developers made MSFS. Without them the genre would not have grown the way it has. Dovetail, turn your back on freeware and you will fail. You have to provide freeware tools for developers and not hinder them. That is all. :naughty:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby cevans » Sun May 14, 2017 3:48 am

+1 8-)

There are a lot of 'flight sims' out there. Even X-plane is barely successful compared to the MSFS series. The way I see it, if a new 'Dovetail' version of 'FSX' (called whatever) comes up with the same addon-ability (freeware essential & with the tools to create), I'll try it out (maybe). Otherwise I'm sticking with P3d which has a long way to go!
cevans
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Sun May 14, 2017 7:07 am

Here's hoping that the Microsoft execs responsible for Microsoft Flight ARE NOT working for Dovetail Games.

Everyone's inline on this one - Some freeware is what will make or break Flight Sim World.

Years ago, when I was thinking of trying a flight sim again, I knew that there were some things important to me;
* That it NOT be a game
* That it not be so expensive that I'd regret buying it if I didn't like it
* That it would not be limited in future expansion.

People are probably sick of me saying this, but at first I hated FSX.

So I switched to X-Plane 10, full version, when it was just out.

Having tried both programs for a month, or more, I decided to stay with FSX BECAUSE there was more freeware available.

And guess what? Over time I spent more and more money on FSX.

Dovetail Games will never read this, but those things above will give them the best shot at winning with Flight Sim World.

And the lack of those things is what made Microsoft Flight, as good looking as it was, such a hideous flop.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby rooitou » Mon May 15, 2017 6:59 am

Yep, I agree with everyone here. I'm one of the "lucky" ones who will apparently get Flight Sim World for free because I bought their Flight School (didn't like it much).

I also have a major concern about 3rd party add-on developers being forced to sell through the DTG store. Besides the failed Microsoft Games For Windows Live, ORBX is now also selling exclusively from its own clumsy webstore and I've stopped buying ORBX products as a result.

Then there's the exclusion of FSUIPC vs inclusion of Simconnect issue. I've had many more issues with Simconnect than FSUIPC (especially in FSX Steam which apparently uses its own hybrid version of Simconnect) and I was appalled when I read that Simconnect will be used at the exclusion of FSUIPC. That almost guarantees incompatibility with many old FSX products.

Quite frankly, those two issues alone may result in Flight Sim World being stillborn, regardless of how good it is otherwise.

Anyway, it will be an Early Access (ie Beta) product for a while, so many things can and will be changed. But I'm concerned that the major architecture of the product is fixed (eg Simconnect) and instead of Flight Sim World being the replacement for FSX, it may end up being just another fringe product, like X-Plane, until we wait for the true successor (P3D?).
rooitou
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby zswobbie1 » Mon May 15, 2017 7:47 am

Remember, that FSUIPC is a privately owned product, sold as a paid add-on, & was never part of the core software that DTG bought from Microsoft.
It is up the developer to make it available to work with a 64bit game. Nothing to do with DTG!
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Jetranger » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:01 am

pete wrote:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

So curious than since this post,,,,, has anything changed in regards to this matter ?????????

Anybody out there currently using FSW relate any actual experience to date ?????

are users able to ADD current and former FREEWARE Aircraft & Sceneries to FSW ?????
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby Jetranger » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:13 am

JULY 1st 2017

This just coming across the wires or inner'nets :lol:

UPDATE for Flight Sim World / FSW

http://www.airdailyx.net/fsnewsbreaker/2017/6/30/flightsimworld-community-update-4-released

Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby Jetranger » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:35 am

So True !!! as to the above and following statement !

Add to that they (FSW) DLC, "refuse" to do anything with SDKs "for developers" unless those developers "promise to stop selling publicly",,, and "ONLY sell through FSW as DLC" ... yeah ... bye bye FSW.

P3Dv4 has been outstanding since it launched, plus add to that MANY of our favorite add-ons are also going 64 bit in it ... oh yeah. No brainer which sim to stick with.

Geeee lets attempt,,, play the Big Bully and see how many we can get to kiss our Ass and play the game, that WE decide who'll sell what and when , and IF WE decide to give it any "Promotion" or not depending on how big a kick back WE decide they have to GIVE us for letting them sell on our site :shock: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Now it'd seem to me, that instead of trying to take over the whole BLOCK and forcing other Developers to "ONLY" sell their products on their site, that's like saying were attempting to play the Role of the MOB even tho were not really sure how to do it,,, but, just play along with us anyway so we can get our way !!!!

Ya the scenery will eventually be Bland about the same as FSX originally and maybe some functions will work if WE decide, like ATC, Weather, Maps, Flight planning etc.

For some strange reason :lol: I just Don't see Carenado or MilViz or A2A Simulations or Captain Sim , or, PMDG, or Lionheart Creations, Just Flight willing to just go along and play that game , just because !!!!!

So it appears that PREPAR 3D is ruling right now,,,, as many more are quite happy & pleased with it as well as MANY of the Add on Developers, PAYWARE and FREEWARE for both Aircraft and Scenery as well as other Add On Flight instruments,,, like Flight 1's Garmin 730 etc.

So,, were looking at the Difference between a Bugatti and a Volkswagon. :lol:

Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:46 am

Thanks, Mr Jet.
Add to that they (FSW) DLC, "refuse" to do anything with SDKs "for developers" unless those developers "promise to stop selling publicly",,, and "ONLY sell through FSW as DLC"

That's what I heard too. Microsoft Flight all over again. :cry:

Now lets contrast that with Lockheed Martin

Prepar3D v4 SDK
The Prepar3D® v4 SDK is available as a free download to anyone looking to get into developing add-ons or content for Prepar3D® v4.

Flight Sim World - DOA
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Jean Loup » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:15 am

Jetranger wrote:...So,, were looking at the Difference between a Bugatti and a Volkswagon. :lol:

Both produced by Volkswagen AG :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: The Bugatti replaces the Karmann Ghía.
...LiCENSE & REGiSTRATiON !!
Jean Loup
Captain
Captain

Postby Jetranger » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:27 am

ALSO I've been noticing, lately, that were NOT seeing any Jets on this FSW ??

rather it be large Jetliners or small jets, am I missing something ????

or is FSW maily only for Prop Aircraft as of yet ???

I can't even find anything on YOU TUBE where JETS of any size are involved in FSW ??

Maybe I'm wrong I Dunno' ????
Jetranger
Major
Major

Next

Return to Xplane, Flightgear, Orbiter and other Flight Simulators