Long Tieng Air America terrain mislocated

Forum dedicated to Microsoft FS2004 - "A Century of Flight".

Long Tieng Air America terrain mislocated

Postby mikeEmerc » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:56 pm

Howdy folks. Been a LONG time since I have been able to access the net,and Simviation.Looks as if a few things has changed here,so I hope this post/question is in the right area.
I fly FS9.
Been making a lot of repaints for Air America and wanted the base in Laos, Long Tieng (actual designator of LS20a //in the sim,LS2a) in my sim.
So,I downloaded the add on scenery by Daniel Gauthier.It comes with an effects folder,a LAOS AA folder,a LAOS AA_LC folder and a READ ME folder. The zip is "LONGTIENG.ZIP"
It instructs the simmer that we MUST have the terrain mesh by Werner F. Vogt,which is SEA1SRTM.ZIP.
After trying every possible combination of loading,reloading and changing of priority in the ADD ON SCENERY in FS9,I can NOT get the base to place properly.The runway runs smack dab into a karst (small mountain),rather than past it.There is a leg of the base that is supposed to sit in a secure spot on the other side of the karst,which it does but it is about 150 meters too far in,and the base of the karst doesnt seem to be flattened as it should be.The vehicles that are supposed to be there are buried. Does ANY ONE have an answer for me as to what the problem may be? I read on another site of someone having the same problem.He said that initially,it worked fine,but his computer flipped out,and when he reinstalled everything,this problem popped up.I have no other add ons or meshes in Southeast Asia to cause this.I tried to correct the problem with AFCAD and ADE 6 (I think its acronym is ADE...) and nothing is working. HELP if you can.Thanks bunches either was for giving it at least a thought.
mikeEmerc
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Long Tieng Air America terrain mislocated

Postby garymbuska » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:08 am

mikeEmerc wrote:Howdy folks. Been a LONG time since I have been able to access the net,and Simviation.Looks as if a few things has changed here,so I hope this post/question is in the right area.
I fly FS9.
Been making a lot of repaints for Air America and wanted the base in Laos, Long Tieng (actual designator of LS20a //in the sim,LS2a) in my sim.
So,I downloaded the add on scenery by Daniel Gauthier.It comes with an effects folder,a LAOS AA folder,a LAOS AA_LC folder and a READ ME folder. The zip is "LONGTIENG.ZIP"
It instructs the simmer that we MUST have the terrain mesh by Werner F. Vogt,which is SEA1SRTM.ZIP.
After trying every possible combination of loading,reloading and changing of priority in the ADD ON SCENERY in FS9,I can NOT get the base to place properly.The runway runs smack dab into a karst (small mountain),rather than past it.There is a leg of the base that is supposed to sit in a secure spot on the other side of the karst,which it does but it is about 150 meters too far in,and the base of the karst doesnt seem to be flattened as it should be.The vehicles that are supposed to be there are buried. Does ANY ONE have an answer for me as to what the problem may be? I read on another site of someone having the same problem.He said that initially,it worked fine,but his computer flipped out,and when he reinstalled everything,this problem popped up.I have no other add ons or meshes in Southeast Asia to cause this.I tried to correct the problem with AFCAD and ADE 6 (I think its acronym is ADE...) and nothing is working. HELP if you can.Thanks bunches either was for giving it at least a thought.

I hate to be the one to inform you but there might not be anything you can do in this case.
Something that might just help you out is to use what is called an EXCLUDE command. What this does is to erase an area before you place scenery on it . In most cases the designer will put a note in the readme file as to what you will need to do in order to make the scenery work correctly.
This is something that you hardly run across you could download hundreds of scenery files and not one of them would use an EXCLUDE but there are cases where this needs to be used.
What you have to do is define an area that is void of anything at all this will remove the mountains in this case. But be care full EXCLUDE is a powerful command
I found this article which might help you out
http://www.simforums.com/forums/moving- ... 14884.html
8-)
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby mikeEmerc » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:27 pm

Thanks Gary. I appreciate it. I saw that in my ADE 6 if I'm not mistaken. I also thought about flattening that area,tho instead of doing just a square or rectangle area like I have done on other scenery,this effort would have to be a flattening of a multi-poly area (if that makes sense) . I DO appreciate it.Your warning about using the command boosts my interest,and caution. Much appreciated bud!!!
mikeEmerc
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby garymbuska » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:55 pm

mikeEmerc wrote:Thanks Gary. I appreciate it. I saw that in my ADE 6 if I'm not mistaken. I also thought about flattening that area,tho instead of doing just a square or rectangle area like I have done on other scenery,this effort would have to be a flattening of a multi-poly area (if that makes sense) . I DO appreciate it.Your warning about using the command boosts my interest,and caution. Much appreciated bud!!!

I had forgotten about the flatten command command it does exactly what you would think it does to flatten an area, The problem is how much to flatten The EXCLUDE will remove an area you define.
In either case you have to careful as this could cause undesirable effects. You might find something over in the Scenery Design area that might be helpful. 8-)
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby mikeEmerc » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:39 am

Thanks again Gary. Been away for a while,and thus wasnt able to reply sooner.And that goes without saying I havent been doing much on the sim either,and I havent done any attempts to flatten or exclude in the scenery. Before I do,I'll have to brush up on my flatten work,as it's been a couple years since I have done that kind of work. And I am unfamiliar with the 'exclude' command and where it is found . Like a babe in the woods again here,LOL. Have a good day bud.
mikeEmerc
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to FS 2004 - A Century of Flight