Curious question

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Curious question

Postby garymbuska » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:06 am

As you should know I had a problem earlier reinstalling FSX after a lot of headache I finally managed to reinstall naturally when you first run it you have to activate it. So I entered the key and chose the activate over internet method.
the first time failed so I tried again and it stated it was successfully activated. Finally at last I managed to get FSX running again after i shut it down i than proceeded to install acceleration but the odd thing is it never asked me for the key and now when I try to run FSX I get a error stating that the program is not activated fsx still runs but there is no multiplayer of course I never use it so really do not care. But the error i get every time I run FSX is somewhat of a nuisance so how in earth am I supposed to activate acceleration if it never asks me to. :?: :think:
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Re: Curious question

Postby OldAirmail » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:29 pm

Did you right click on each program and select "install as administrator"?
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby garymbuska » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:29 am

OldAirmail wrote:Did you right click on each program and select "install as administrator"?

This is the latest update on the problem.
I have done everything except stand on my hands and hold my breath all to no avail. When I finally managed to get FSX installed and ran it the first time I had to activate it the first time failed but the second time said my product was activated successfully. I than proceeded to install FSX Acceleration But it never asked me to activate it which I thought was strange as the boxed version of FSX Gold Edition comes with FSX Acceleration and there are two keys included.
One for FSX and one for Acceleration. After installing acceleration I ran FSX and got the error message saying the product was not activated and when FSX comes up there are no multiplayer entries in the menu which is a sign that it is not activated. I have no clue as how to activate Acceleration if it never asks me to. I finally threw in the towel and said enough is enough I will stick with FSX Steam for now as I do not know what else to do.
Oh by the way I installed FSX on my B drive which is where I had it before all of this happened.
I uninstalled and rein stalled acceleration I even tried the repair option no luck.
:x :angry-cussing: :angry-screaming:
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:57 am

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby garymbuska » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:03 pm

Thanks Hagar I tried that but was nit sure which one to click I might try to reinstall on my C drive but not in program files(86) and see what happens. My biggest problem is why acceleration does not ask me to activate it.
I could also not in stall acceleration and download the service packs and see what happens there. I mean other than missions the service packs and a few extra aircraft that I have never flown what else is acceleration good for.
:think: :?:
Gary M Buska
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby napamule » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:24 am

I went from Win XP to Win 7 and when I installed Gold (Deluxe and Accel) I noticed the same thing. But I did not post it (anywhere). I am sure others also had this happen but are afraid to say anything-it might stop working (hehe). I figure that once activated (online) the process writes a hatch code and Accel process will look for it and use it perhaps by looking in the registry. But it's just guess. My FSX Accel works perfect. I also have a i7 2600K by the way.

Since you are going to reinstall to D: drive (?) you might help the process by flying in FSX for a minute or two. Then exit flight. Re-Start your PC and then install Acceleration. When it installs then fly for a minute. Shut down FSX. re boot your PC. Done. The Re-Start of PC (and then re-start of FSX) allows for things to be writen to the registry (and elsewhere). They don't tell you everything. You have to read between the lines? Amen.
Chuck B
Napamule
napamule
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Sprocket » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:21 am

Hi Gary here's one for you.

I think your FSX may be running in DEMO mode.

I took my copy of FSX/Delux/Acceleration and installed it on another/spare PC.

It registered FSX, but NOT Acceleration. So I went looking for answers on line and got a Microsoft write up:

It basically tells me that I cannot register the same copy of FSX on another machine, and that: It will play with limited functions, (ie no multiplayer?), and it will allow play in demo mode for only 30 minutes..
(After which it nags to be registered.)

Here is what happens when I launch FSX, and the check to verify if it is registered:
(I clicked YES on here which brought me to the MS answers)

When I launch FSX, I get:

Now go to Free Flight, launch a flight, and then go to "Help" and then "About"

Here it will show whether you are in Demo mode or not:

Here is what you should get:

Could this be your problem :?: :?:

Jan
Sprocket
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby garymbuska » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:20 am

You are 100% correct that is exactly what I saw. I had completely removed all traces of FSX and tried to reinstall it on the same drive I had it on to start with fsx would install and run with no problems at all. But as soon as you installed Acceleration that is when it stated it was no longer activated.
I remember when Acceleration came out I had no desire to buy it as it really did not give me any thing I wanted as I am not big on Missions. I had to buy FSX gold when I switched over to Windows 10 64 bit the standard version I had would not install. Of course I have heard that is no longer the case.
My solution to the problem was really simple I installed FSX I than installed service pack 1 and service pack 2 and it works like a champ.
Acceleration give you service pack 1 and service pack 2 some extra missions and extra aircraft and a few other minor things so I did not install it
I looked everywhere to find out the reason as to why Acceleration never asked me to register it and found nothing anywhere.
How in gods green earth are you supposed to activate a program that never asks to be activated?????
I had even found a registry cleaner from Microsoft that did seem to remove some stray entries from FSX. But to no avail the problem was still there. FSX would work as long as you did not install Acceleration.
8-)
Gary M Buska
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Sinkrate » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:12 am

My solution to the problem was really simple I installed FSX I than installed service pack 1 and service pack 2 and it works like a champ.

Just a thought: did you install SP1 and SP2 before trying to install Acceleration? I seem to remember someone having problems with Acceleration before and they had to remove the service packs before it would install.

I presume you have now got FSX fully activated; I think it only allows two on-line activations and then you have to go through the “activate by phone” process. :(
Sinkrate
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby garymbuska » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:52 am

Sinkrate wrote:

Just a thought: did you install SP1 and SP2 before trying to install Acceleration? I seem to remember someone having problems with Acceleration before and they had to remove the service packs before it would install.

I presume you have now got FSX fully activated; I think it only allows two on-line activations and then you have to go through the “activate by phone” process. :(

NO that would be redundant. As I stated one of the things you get with Acceleration are the service packs it installs both of them without you having to download them.
I tried the by phone but they want the product ID # and I had no idea what that was. All I had was a piece of paper with the two keys on it no product ID #
Bottom line here is FSX is running like it should without Acceleration and it is activated.
That sounds like something Microsoft would do. Though no clue as to why. One would think that there would be a reset tool like they have for FSX but that makes sense so why bother.
You got to love Microsoft's thinking. :think:
Gary M Buska
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:38 pm

garymbuska wrote:I tried the by phone but they want the product ID # and I had no idea what that was. All I had was a piece of paper with the two keys on it no product ID #

For the Product ID run FSX & click Help > About on the inflight Menu bar. See shot in Sprocket's earlier reply.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby EVVFCX » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:29 pm

Hi all,

It seems to me that no matter what system FSX or FSX gold / Steam -whatever is installed on, there appears to be very little consistancy.
For a few years I have refused to change to new system because of win 10 and incompatibility with FSX and my payware addon - now solved and working, still on win7 tho.
FSX as mentioned above should always be run before installing acceleration and the associated service packs, the reverse is also true, if uninstalling, do acceleration first, run FSX then uninstall FSX.
and on installing outside of programfiles, again this was something I never had trouble with but I did take ownership of the programfiles 86 and the sub folders and that must bypass problem associated with write permissions - just run admin for everything you can do and sorry Gary for your 1722 problem I had forgotten about elevated DOS.

Activating code? mine on it's very first install on win xp had to be done over the phone on the auto response system - give licence - get code type system, since then it's never asked to be re-activated on either my xp or win 7 OS's.
Running same FSX on more than one machine? no problem, it still runs on my XP pc and on my win 7 laptop, always has done but there's only me that bothers with it so generally it only runs on one system, the xp is rapidly heading for the skip.

So I think the thing remains as it's always been that no matter what your system is, you maybe able to help somebody else.
Here's to another 17 yrs of FSX, having typed that, just realised I'll be 77 :(

regards

Steve
May the Mynd be with you.
So far my number of landings either passenger or pilot equal my number of takeoffs.

FSX Gold Acc, P3D V4, FS2020
EVVFCX
Captain
Captain

Postby garymbuska » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:10 am

EVVFCX wrote:Hi all,

It seems to me that no matter what system FSX or FSX gold / Steam -whatever is installed on, there appears to be very little consistancy.
For a few years I have refused to change to new system because of win 10 and incompatibility with FSX and my payware addon - now solved and working, still on win7 tho.
FSX as mentioned above should always be run before installing acceleration and the associated service packs, the reverse is also true, if uninstalling, do acceleration first, run FSX then uninstall FSX.
and on installing outside of programfiles, again this was something I never had trouble with but I did take ownership of the programfiles 86 and the sub folders and that must bypass problem associated with write permissions - just run admin for everything you can do and sorry Gary for your 1722 problem I had forgotten about elevated DOS.

Activating code? mine on it's very first install on win xp had to be done over the phone on the auto response system - give licence - get code type system, since then it's never asked to be re-activated on either my xp or win 7 OS's.
Running same FSX on more than one machine? no problem, it still runs on my XP pc and on my win 7 laptop, always has done but there's only me that bothers with it so generally it only runs on one system, the xp is rapidly heading for the skip.

So I think the thing remains as it's always been that no matter what your system is, you maybe able to help somebody else.
Here's to another 17 yrs of FSX, having typed that, just realised I'll be 77 :(

regards

Steve

Thanks for the reply The problem I had was I had to preform a windows 10 reset and even though it did not remove any of my programs it did remove the registry entries so i was unable to uninstall either FSX or Acceleration.
I later downloaded REVO Uninstaller and that helped somewhat. I than had a problem using the FSX reset tool because of not complete instructions.
They tell you to use the run command but in order for this to work you have to use the RUN COMMAND ADMIN
Bottom line here is I have FSX up and running with service pack 1 & 2 installed with no problems at all so as far as I am concerned I will NOT install Acceleration
8-)
Gary M Buska
garymbuska
Major
Major

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam