Contact Points

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

Contact Points

Postby garymbuska » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:38 am

I asked this same question over in the FSX/Steam forum
Has any one ever heard of defining contact points in the model file of an aircraft :think: :?:
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Re: Contact Points

Postby Sinkrate » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:18 pm

I have adjusted them to correct a model that sank into the ground so that the wheels were not visible. It was a bit hit and miss but I eventually managed to get it right. There must be a better way than what I did, but it probably involves loading the model into its original software.
Sinkrate
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby garymbuska » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:19 pm

Sinkrate wrote:I have adjusted them to correct a model that sank into the ground so that the wheels were not visible. It was a bit hit and miss but I eventually managed to get it right. There must be a better way than what I did, but it probably involves loading the model into its original software.

I have done the same thing but I was told that the contact points were part of the model file which means you cannot adjust them unless you have the original files. Personally I think the person was full of it if you know what I mean
I recently bought a new aircraft the Air Bus Collection The Long Haul it consists of the following models A330-200 A330-300 and than both of these models have a different aircraft that use GE PW and RR engines and than there is the A340-200 and the A340-300 and there has to be at least a dozen of different liveries for each model plus you can install in both FS9 and FSX it is like getting two downloads for the price of one.
The problem was the A330-200GE versions were sunk in the ground all the way up to the bottom of the wings and the aircraft spun around like a top. I discovered there were no contact points or scrape points in the aircraft cfg file.
It turned out that there was some kind of glitch when it installed in FSX the same aircraft in FS9 had no problems what so ever.
<<u
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby pete » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:45 pm

What exactly is it you want to do - and what aircraft?

Adjusting wheel sink, for example, is usually a simple edit.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby garymbuska » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:29 pm

pete wrote:What exactly is it you want to do - and what aircraft?

Adjusting wheel sink, for example, is usually a simple edit.

Sorry Pete the aircraft I am talking about did not come from here but was payware from Just Flight the problem I had was sinking aircraft the aircraft cfg file for the model did not have any contact points in it at all and when selected it would spin like a top and was buried up to the bottom of the wings. Some one at Just flight told me that the contact points can be part of the model file which I have never herd so I was asking if any one else knew about this.
The crazy thing about this was I installed the same aircraft in FS9 with no problems at all. Apparently there was a glitch when I installed it in FSX <<u
Gary M Buska
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Algenon Lacy » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:25 am

Hi Gary,

No expert on this, but the microsoft website states..

[contact_points]

You can configure and adjust the way aircraft reacts to different kinds of contact, including landing gear contact and articulation, braking, steering, and damage accrued through excessive speed. You can also configure each contact point independently for each aircraft, and there is no limit to the number of points you can add. When importing an aircraft that does not contain this set of data, the program will generate the data from the .air file the first time the aircraft is loaded, and then write it to the aircraft.cfg.

regards

Algenon
Algenon Lacy
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby napamule » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:32 pm

How 'stiff' or how 'loose' the contact points ARE 'set up' on the model. You can compensate a certain amount. But if TOO STIFF or TOO LOOSE perhaps not. It happens.
Example - original compression:

9 10 11 //compression
----------------------
0.6, 2.5, 0.9
1.0, 2.5, 0.9
1.0, 2.5, 0.9

Here is my 'go to' values (compression - position 9, 10, and 11) for 'loose' cnt pts.

9 10 11 //compression
-----------------------
0.1, 4.5, 1.0
0.2, 4.5, 1.0
0.2, 4.5, 1.0

You will have to adjust the 'vertical position' (position 3) as compression has been changed. If vertical postion is originally 9.2 then change to:
static_cg_height= 10.500 //o=9.2

I don't have the payware model so am only guessing at values. But you will get the idea with this set of values (original -vs- modified). Hope this helps.
Chuck B
Napamule
napamule
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby napamule » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:43 pm

On the above suggestion post: If the ac is off the ground, then adjust postion 3 (vertical) LESS NEGATIVE (value). If it's '-10.300' then change it to '9.300'. Get my drift. If it is in the ground then it would be MORE NEGATIVE (value). IE: if original was: '-10.300' then change it to '-11.300'. It's trial-n-error after that initial adjust to get is just right. And there is no guarantee how the gear will do as far as 'ground reaction' but at least you will 'Look Good' sitting at the gate (hehe). Cheers.
Chuck B
Napamule
napamule
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design