Is this finally the One ??

Other current Flight Simulators

Is this finally the One ??

Postby Cusance » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:29 am

Folks, let me throw something out there;
I have always known that there will come a time when I must ditch FSX and start again with something new.
There are many great addons for FSX but in the end the basic code is very old and addons can only take it so far.
I have also resigned myself to the fact that moving away would mean starting all over again.
So I have looked around, kept an ear to the ground, kept on top of developments.
I have tried some like X-Plane but that, to me, felt just like a better FSX. Somehow the improvement step wasnt big enough for me.
Now I wonder if there is a new kid on the block that maybe the one.
Aerofly FS2. Everything I see about that simulator impresses and just feels right.
Sure, its limited but unlike Microsoft's joke (flight) you can see the promise in Aerofly FS2.
So i wonder, we all want a worthy successor to FSX. I kinda think that Aerofly may be the one
in which case should we as a simming community get behind it and start supporting it.
They seem to be reaching out to us.
Has anyone else looked at Aerofly FS2 and what are the thoughts around this?
We had a good discussion about flight, which was helpful to many.
Maybe we should exchange some thoughts about, what I think could be the new big thing, aerofly.
Cusance
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Is this finally the One ??

Postby striker » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:34 pm

What made the Microsoft FS series so successful was the option to keep adding aircraft and not to have to pay for them. No way would I have stuck with it if I had to pay for new planes and scenery. I can't see anywhere that it says you can get addons and I guess if they will exist you have to buy them from them. This makes it pretty similar to 'Flight'. Flight did intend to make many more areas other than Hawaii and Alaska but they had full control and I would not have used it for that reason.
Personally I only do open source. Why I don't use Apple either. Android/Microsoft phones, tablets computers, etc you can go all over to get stuff. I will only use flightsims that are like that.
P3d with Google Earth street view. That's what I'm doing. Awesome.
striker
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Bumper » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:10 am

Nah - you're both totally barking. X-Plane 11 is the FSX P3D killer. 5 minutes flying the demo and it's obvious that it's the future of flightsim. Believe me. Pretty soon no 3rd party developers will be wasting their time on FSX, P3D or any other sim. The X-Plane 11 beta is already awesome. The final bug-free release will be out of this world.
Bumper
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Cusance » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:08 am

striker wrote:What made the Microsoft FS series so successful was the option to keep adding aircraft and not to have to pay for them. No way would I have stuck with it if I had to pay for new planes and scenery. I can't see anywhere that it says you can get addons and I guess if they will exist you have to buy them from them. This makes it pretty similar to 'Flight'............

To be fair to the Aerofly developers, they have made it very clear that what is available at the moment is an early access version. From what they have said and posted sofar I dont think they intend to follow the 'Flight' Marketing route.
I copied this from their forum: (noteworthy is that they are paying close attention to what simmers want, also different from the MS strategy. Which is why I was wondering if early support by the simming Community would be beneficial)

- The near future will bring the following main features to Aerofly FS 2:

Higher resolution textures for aerial images
SDK. The initial version of the SDK will offer the following features:
- An option to read simulation data via DLL or network
- A possibility to send back data into the simulation, e.g. control inputs.
- Tools and converters so you can add your own objects and airports to Aerofly
Improved usability of airliners, e.g. LNAV, VNAV, auto tuning, radio navigation
From all the Emails we have received a good ATC module also has high priority on our side. This ATC module will most likely go through many iterations.

Besides those major points, we will in parallel work on other things like, Saitek support, Virtual Reality, new airplanes and airports, basically things that don't bind too many resources.-

what actually irritates me more is that at the moment it is only available via STEAM. I hope that eventually they will make it available via other 'markets' who do not demand the online connection Steam seems to require.
Cusance
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Cusance » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:11 am

Bumper wrote:Nah - you're both totally barking..........

thank you
Cusance
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Xplane, Flightgear, Orbiter and other Flight Simulators