FS2004 ..... Is it Dying?

Forum dedicated to Microsoft FS2004 - "A Century of Flight".

FS2004 ..... Is it Dying?

Postby Captain Midnight » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:19 am

FS2004 .... simply now for repaints and AI developers?

Your opinion please.

As for me and my house ....... FS2004-only till you pry my old, dead hands from the yoke.

:techie-hourglass:
Captain Midnight
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: FS2004 ..... Is it Dying?

Postby garymbuska » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:52 am

Captain Midnight wrote:FS2004 .... simply now for repaints and AI developers?

Your opinion please.

As for me and my house ....... FS2004-only till you pry my old, dead hands from the yoke.

Like all older programs Fs20004 will eventually cease to work as operating systems continue to update. I thought I had lost it when I updated to Windows 10 but thank god for the nocd crack
I now have both FSX and FS2004 and like you will continue to use it till I have no other choice.
But as I stated it is just a matter of time when it will no longer run..
I know of at least two companies that are n the process of designing a new flight simulator but have no idea as to when either system will be up and running and than there is the money factor.
The main reason I did not get Prepar3D I thought that was a tad expensive and not worth it but that is my opinion only. I am not trying to bash it by no means.
This is one of the links http://nexgenflightsim.com/
<<v
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby zswobbie1 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:29 am

Captain Midnight wrote:FS2004 .... simply now for repaints and AI developers?

Your opinion please.

An interesting question, very incorrect though!!

There are still a lot of new stuff coming out for our favourite sim.
For example, have a look at http://www.ford-tri-motor.net/
There are loads of scenery, planes & textures there.. As a sim should be, all full of fact, fiction & especially fun.
Oh, also with sloping runways & ramps.. can FSX do that?? Not!
Have a look at Milton Shup & team's stuff that is constantly being released.

I have 4 installs of FS2004, a 'Golden Wings' version, a Ford Tri-Motor version, a 'normal' version & yet another (I forget what), as well as P3D.

Will FS2004 die? No reason why.. Any new operating system that comes out what will disallow games/sims such as FS2004, will obviously impact 99% (at least) of ALL software. So, the obvious answer is No, it will live, as long as there are guys/gals who love to fly, more than they like to tweak!

The two companies that are supposedly developing new sims..
Well, Dovetail will eventually bring out a new sim, 64bit based on FSX, then there is iFly as well.

As for NGFS! What can one say... talk is very cheap, there & last I heard was that they were trying to sell caps for fund raising.
It seems to be a croud of flight sim enthusiasts that want to build a sim. Pretty obvious that it is very hard to compete against existing & established developers.
Remember, we have developers developing for: FS9, FSX, FSX:SE, P3D, X-Plane, IFly FlightGear, the list goes on.. Do not forget that a 64bit sim has it's own issues, as not much will be compatible.

So, I think that your thoughts that FS2004 is for repainters & AI 'flies'out the window.. <<q <<v
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby pete » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:20 am

Hi

It's quite amazing that great files are still being created specifically for this program that was released in 2003! What other computer program from 2003 still has such input and usership?

In fact I am often frustrated that such new relases as the recent fantastic Bell 429 is FS2004 only (so far)

I think the question should be - 'How on earth IS FS2004 still so alive and kicking?' Remember again --- 2003! That's historic in tech terms!

The main reason I did not get Prepar3D I thought that was a tad expensive and not worth i
$49.95? How much did you pay for FSX Acceleration?

As for future 'Flight Simulators' - what has given the Microsoft Flight Simulator it's unique longevity is that you can download and add on freeware (& payware for some) files from anyone who is prepared to make them. Microsoft never controlled who can create files and that was and still is, it's beauty. It's also infinitely tweak-able and personaliz-able.
I am sticking with P3D. It's getting better all the time. I am sure FSX Steam is also in the same situation.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Captain Midnight » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:49 am

pete wrote:
I think the question should be - 'How on earth IS FS2004 still so alive and kicking?' Remember again --- 2003! That's historic in tech terms!

There are certain things throughout history which remain "classics". Fs2004 is one of them in the "sim" world. The best of the best. Nothing else has taken that quantum leap in quality/value yet to persuade its users (me included) to give it up. At my age/income now ..... nothing will.
Captain Midnight
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby garymbuska » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:52 am

pete wrote:

The main reason I did not get Prepar3D I thought that was a tad expensive and not worth it
$49.95? How much did you pay for FSX Acceleration?
At the time it first came out I saw prices exceeding $125.00. Now I have not looked lately it apparently has come down in price
$125.00 is a bit on the high side. But I was quite happy with FSX and FS9 perhaps I will look into it.
Of course I will have to find out if my versions of ACTIVE SKY and FSMAP will work with it or not.
I think they both will witout me having to get a different version of either program if not than it is a no go.

<<v
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Skywatcher » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:28 am

Putting a time frame on it, for me I can see myself using FS2004 for at least the next decade.
I have no doubt I will have a system capable of running it this long, the content available will keep me busy this long.
FS2004 is just too good, too easy to run with masses of content.
Skywatcher
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby ViperPilot » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:54 pm

Like others, I'm sticking with FS9 for the foreseeable future. I want to choose an Airplane, click 'Go Fly', take off and go do the work. I'm not interested in having to continually tinker with Settings just to get the thing to start running.

I have gathered enough extra goodies and more than enough Airplanes to keep my FS9 jones quite content; as long as there's folks out there interested and willing to continue designing things for FS9, then we'll be OK.

So what if Aerosoft's annual FlightSim poll lists FS9 with a 1.62% user share of the entire FS market... no matter. Besides, Aerosoft left FS9 in the dust years ago!

As a famous Engineer once quipped, "Just because it's old, doesn't mean you throw it away."

Alan :ugeek:
ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Postby Captain Midnight » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:22 pm

ViperPilot wrote:"Just because it's old, doesn't mean you throw it away."

+1 ......... just hoping my wife agrees with this ......... regarding me of course.
:handgestures-thumbup:
Captain Midnight
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby garymbuska » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:36 am

Captain Midnight wrote:

+1 ......... just hoping my wife agrees with this ......... regarding me of course.

AMEN to that :pray:
Gary M Buska
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:30 am

Captain Midnight wrote:

The Garbage Men keep telling me I'm the wrong sort of trash.... :roll: ...!

Paul.... ;) ....!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby zswobbie1 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:19 am

I've been so happy so long now, with Fs2004.
I have P3Dv1.4 on my i5 laptop, because I cannot have any newer version as my laptop only has DX9! In any case, it is just like FSX, but better.
I end up going back to it, & realising why I always go back to FS2004.

Just add Howard's free 'The Natural World' http://biggles11.wixsite.com/the-natural-world & utter perfection.
I have a separate version of FS2004 for Garry's http://www.ford-tri-motor.net/ as well.

By the way, it's mature, like a good fine wine, NOT old!
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Canuck1955 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:38 pm

Wow! I cannot blv this is the first I have ever heard of Howard's Natural World and his associated tweaks, some of which I have never heard of. I dashed off and e-mail requesting the d/l link. I have been using FS9 since it came out and every MSFS generally since 1994. Stunned!
Canuck1955
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Captain Midnight » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:49 am

Canuck1955 wrote:Wow! I cannot blv this is the first I have ever heard of Howard's Natural World and his associated tweaks, some of which I have never heard of.

Have you stopped to consider WHY? You might hold back your enthusiasm until you try them. I found them to be a "big bag of nothing" ..... and GE PRO with other environmental textures to be much better than Natural World.
To each his own.
Captain Midnight
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby TryHinkel » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:18 pm

"FS2004...is it Dying?"

Not as far as I'm concerned! :dance:
TryHinkel
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Next