Happy Colorado Day!

Discussions on History. Please keep on topic & friendly. Provocative & one sided political posts will be deleted.

Happy Colorado Day!

Postby ViperPilot » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:02 am

Today is "Colorado Day", an Annual celebration to mark the 140th Birthday of the 38th State.

Colorado was the only State admitted to the USA, in its Centennial Year of 1876.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kuCnrSkeao[/youtube]

Alan :ugeek: :clap: :dance:
ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Re: Happy Colorado Day!

Postby Fozzer » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:49 pm

Have a good one, Alan!..... :D ....!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado

A fascinating piece of history!

I'll overfly Colorado, in my little Cessna 150 Aerobat... :dance: ...!

Paul.... :mrgreen: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pilotwin7 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:52 pm

Rocky Mountain High :dance: :dance:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOB4VdlkzO4[/youtube]
pilotwin7
Major
Major

Postby Jetranger » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:21 pm

The Year was 1975

and I got to meet John Denver that year in person for several hours and he showed us a lengthy slide show about 2 hours long and narrated the slide show to all us kids in the 5th grade.

then he spend the rest of the day singin' songs to us with his guitar

somehow back then the school district arranged for him to come to our elementary school and the entire school shut down for the day as we gathered in the GYM for for the show.

he also sang CW McCalls, CONVOY which was popular back then too.

and a lecture about doing Drugs and how badd it was for you

my aunt just sold her 80 acres just North of Rocky Mountain National park, they lived there since 1970 and on a clear day you could stand on her mountain and see into Rocky mountain National park.

After she sold the property at age 88, she died this last January.

by the way when it snowed on her property, its didn't snow in inches, it snowed in FEET, sometimes enough to trap her and my uncle in the home for weeks :oops: :doh:

Why, Why, couldn't they owned a South Pacific Cottage and left it to me where it don't Snowwwwwwwwww !!!!!!!!!!
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby ViperPilot » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:43 pm

Paul,

Make sure you adjust the Mixture before coming up over the Mountains!

Alan :ugeek: :dance:
ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Postby Fozzer » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:28 am

ViperPilot wrote:Paul,

Make sure you adjust the Mixture before coming up over the Mountains!

.... :lol: ... :lol: ....!

Never fear, Alan..... ;) ....

...I am well aware of all the little foibles of my normally aspirated, (carburettor), piston engine in my Cessna 150/152's.

And a quick peek at the terrain map of Western Colorado (Rocky Mountains) tells me that the hills are quite high!.... :shock: ....!

Anything higher than 5,000 feet above sea level requires careful weakening of the fuel/air mixture to obtain the maximum power, both on high altitude take-off, and high altitude flying!

The same goes for the Carburettor Heat control to prevent icing of the carburettor body, blocking the venturi, and reducing air flow, resulting in a dead engine and a crash!

Many Moons ago, one of my Sim V Chums made me a (XML) little indicator light to place over the heat control knob to warn me when Carb Heat was either on or off...VERY IMPORTANT....Carburettor heating drastically reduces engine power...especially on take-off, when you need it most!

I have also equipped all my baby, carburettor'd Cessna's, with two very useful/important gauges>

(1) Cylinder Head Temperature + Exhaust Gas Temperature.
(2) Manifold Pressure.

A regular peek at them tells me what is going on!

But she still gasps for breath whilst navigating over the Sierra Nevada and Rocky Mountains, Alan!

Paul....I like "little" aeroplanes!... :D ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ViperPilot » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:31 am

Paul,

For your C-150 journey to Colorado, you can find lots to see on the Western Slope, without having to venture into the higher Altitudes of the Mountains.

Take a flight around Colorado National Monument; it's real close to Grand Junction...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_ ... l_Monument

ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Postby Fozzer » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:00 am

For your C-150 journey to Colorado, you can find lots to see on the Western Slope, without having to venture into the higher Altitudes of the Mountains.

Take a flight around Colorado National Monument; it's real close to Grand Junction...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_ ... l_Monument

Hello Alan!

I might park up my Cessna 150 at Grand Junction, and take a scenic trip along Rimrock Drive on a Harley Davidson Road Glide...>>>>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=566H0KapIeo

https://www.nps.gov/colm/planyourvisit/ ... -drive.htm

Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ViperPilot » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:39 am

Paul,

I've ridden Rim Rock Drive... on my bicycle!

Back in the 80's, I worked Mechanical Support for the Coors Classic bicycle race, and the riders took Rim Rock Drive all the way around the Monument. If memory serves, it was about 85 miles all the way around. I rode the Course, and it was one heck of a ride!

Alan :ugeek: :o
ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Postby Fozzer » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:02 am

I've ridden Rim Rock Drive... on my bicycle!

Back in the 80's, I worked Mechanical Support for the Coors Classic bicycle race, and the riders took Rim Rock Drive all the way around the Monument. If memory serves, it was about 85 miles all the way around. I rode the Course, and it was one heck of a ride!

Alan :ugeek: :o

Wonderful stuff, Alan!
Fantastic!

I've saved the You-Tube Motorcycle journey with its Speedometer, Altimeter, and Compass Bearing!
A trip in 4 parts, to watch!

I'm now at Grand Junction Airport KGJT in my 150 ready for a fly around Rimrock Drive using my Plan-G, and FS Tramp, road maps!

Better than watching the 'Tele!.... :dance: ...!

Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ViperPilot » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:44 pm

Paul,

Hope you had a good time tooling around the Monument! There's a little town just West of Grand Junction called Fruita; a quaint little place with a lot of character! I might just move there someday...

Alan :ugeek: :clap:
ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Postby Fozzer » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:59 am

Hope you had a good time tooling around the Monument! There's a little town just West of Grand Junction called Fruita; a quaint little place with a lot of character! I might just move there someday...

Alan :ugeek: :clap:

Fruita: (Google Map).

Beware crossing town to do the shopping, Alan....

The hazards of Interstate 70, and the Colorado River!

Choice: Knocked down, or drown!... :shock: ...!

..... :lol: .... :lol: ....!

I'm having fun tootling around your part of the woods for a change, Alan....
...alternative to I 395 in Owen's Valley... ;) ...!

Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ViperPilot » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:00 am

Paul,

Are you using X or 9? I'm just wondering about the Autogen/Sim environment and how it looks as compared to 9. I ended up downloading some Freeware Mesh that gives a little more Detail, but it shows up better when I fly West and South towards Moab, UT and the La Sal Mountains.

Glad you're enjoying the Western Slope! Drink lots of H2O; it gets hot out there! However, lots of rain is coming to the Slope and Four Corners areas today.

Alan :ugeek: :D
ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Postby Fozzer » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:35 am

Are you using X or 9? I'm just wondering about the Autogen/Sim environment and how it looks as compared to 9. I ended up downloading some Freeware Mesh that gives a little more Detail, but it shows up better when I fly West and South towards Moab, UT and the La Sal Mountains.

Glad you're enjoying the Western Slope! Drink lots of H2O; it gets hot out there! However, lots of rain is coming to the Slope and Four Corners areas today.

Alan :ugeek: :D

Hello Alan.... :D ...!

My set-up:
FSX.
FTX Global Mesh.
Ultimate Terrain USA.
Plan-G map.
FS Tramp map.

"Ultimate Terrain USA" is wonderful for following the road system down below...
...its exactly as it shows on the maps and photos!
And FSX shows all the traffic as well!

Some quick shots, (very quick), 'cos I'm doing 140 knots along the road!.... :lol: ...!

Took off from Grand Junction Airport [K-GJT] and travelled west to follow Rim Rock Drive....>>>

Plan-G map.

FS Tramp Map.

My Cessna 150 is much too fast. A Harley Street Glide would make more sense!

http://www.dangerousroads.org/north-ame ... drive.html

Paul....exploring the scenery!.... :mrgreen: ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ViperPilot » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:32 pm

Thanks for the Screenies, Paul!

A little more Detail than Default Nine, but I think what I have will work for me OK.

Have fun!

Alan :ugeek:
ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Next

Return to History