FSX Pre-War Conversion

Scenery, Utilities, Misc... Whatever else you would like to find for your FS or CFS Programs.

FSX Pre-War Conversion

Postby AVRO » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:09 pm

Dear Community,

First of all I would like to thank you for all of the great information as well as the add-ons and tutorials that you have created for all of us to enjoy. I have been frequenting Simviation since, I think, the year 2007, but have only now decided to register.

There has been something that I was desperately looking for for a long time. Basically, I am flying a lot of the Great War and late pre-war aircraft, mainly the excellent A2A AVRO 504K and am always greatly dismayed to find London and Paris, especially the former, littered with skyscrapers that certainly were not there a hundred years ago. Surrey is now heavily urbanised and is just concrete with green spots in FSX, but back then it was still very rural. Overall, cities have grown too much and un-traditional architecture has taken a toll on our once gorgeously looking capital.

The main idea is to kindly request an add-on that would, at least for the European continent and Great Britain, remove all of these modern developments. Unfortunately I know nothing about creating add-ons for FSX, so I do not know if that would be a gargantuan task or simply a matter of switching textures and deleting a few files.

Here are the main things that would have to be changed:

I. Removal of tall or otherwise post-war buildings
II Reduce size of cities to what they once were
III. Change textures of paved roads to dirt roads, replace motorways with wide dirt roads, except for major citiy centres
IV. (lower priority) turn all airfields into grass surface strips
V. (lower priority, really just optional) add historic landmarks

If such a scenery modification should already exist, then I would kindly like to request a link to it. I would happily pay for such an add-on, too. By the way, what happened to the third-party attempts to introduce cloud shadows to FSX?

Again, I would like to thank all of you for your helpful and generous contributions to this community!
AVRO
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: FSX Pre-War Conversion

Postby zswobbie1 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:44 am

Maybe not for FSX, but 'Golden Wings' is out there for FS9.
Simply amazing. Also, have a look at the period addons from Garry & Ed at the Ford tri-motor site. Also for FS9 though.
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby AVRO » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:57 pm

I would like to thank you for your reply, zswobbie1! The surprise was great when I looked up Golden Wings, it must have somehow walked right past me. It is a very good project, but alas it does not seem to be compatible with FSX. I might just try and see if I can do something by working on FSX myself. With luck my next post contains screenshots instead of a lament on how I ruined my installation :lol: .
AVRO
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby zswobbie1 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:35 am

Yup, its a pity Golden Wings is not compatible with FSX. I have a separate install of FS9 just for this. There is so much available, scenery & planes for Golden Wings, & I find myself gravitating more & more over the flying the 'old' stuff that is just not available for FSX. No doubt you have had a look at ... http://www.ford-tri-motor.net/

Best of luck,
Robin
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Return to Other Add-ons Wanted