Rendered time consuming!

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

Rendered time consuming!

Postby Fozzer » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:33 am

...and our Flight Sim, Aircraft and scenery designers, think that they have rendering problems with their home computers!...>>>>

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29940270

....... :o .....!

I can remember having to set my Amaga 1200 computer, in the early 1990's, to render a small, designed object over night, and hope that it had finished rendering by the morning!

I am fascinated by the increasing complexity of computer animated films, such as "Despicable Me", etc.
So many folks, and so much time and work involved in the production!
Amazing!

Paul...despicable ME!.... :lol: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Rendered time consuming!

Postby Shadowcaster » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:27 pm

Thats a lot of computing power the new cartoons are very good but I still like the old ones.
Merrry Melodies
Loony Tunes
Tom and Jerry

Showing me age again :D
All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Postby stephan » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:20 pm

I can dig what you're saying Paul. I collect gems and mineral crystals. (Well,I used to till I became retired and cash isnt as available as before,hahahaha)...but I made a program in DOS and BASIC on my IBM 8088 and huge floppy disk . I dont remember the memory capabilities or capacity back that far,but the program I made was to list all of my speciments,and give the viewer the option of looking at a 3D diagram of the crystal system each mineral/gem was associated with. Doing this,I inadvertently created my own windows before there was such a thing as Microsoft and Windows. If I only knew then what I know now...could have been one o' those billionaires,hahaha. ANYWAY...the lead in screen was a simple wire 3D brilliant cut diamond that exploded with tech facet taking off in random directions. The diamond would explode about every 30 seconds,and the pieces would tumble about until they left the edges of the screen,and the whole process would start over.At the bottom of the screen was my menu or options that the curious viewer could select. Each specimen I have has a number I assigned to it,and the viewer could type in the number,enter it,and the description would come up with additional options to return to the main menu,or to look at the specimens 3D crystal system and more. Even with the little bit of memory available,the program worked like a charm,and I believe I still have a dot matrix hard copy of the program somewhere. It took me about 6 weeks to program the set up. I kinda miss those days,but at my age,I no longer have that kind of patience...and have gotten lazy since the birth of MS Windows.
stephan

Postby Tonydb » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:26 pm

stephan wrote:I can dig what you're saying Paul. I collect gems and mineral crystals. (Well,I used to till I became retired and cash isnt as available as before,hahahaha)...but I made a program in DOS and BASIC on my IBM 8088 and huge floppy disk . I dont remember the memory capabilities or capacity back that far,but the program I made was to list all of my speciments,and give the viewer the option of looking at a 3D diagram of the crystal system each mineral/gem was associated with. Doing this,I inadvertently created my own windows before there was such a thing as Microsoft and Windows. If I only knew then what I know now...could have been one o' those billionaires,hahaha. ANYWAY...the lead in screen was a simple wire 3D brilliant cut diamond that exploded with tech facet taking off in random directions. The diamond would explode about every 30 seconds,and the pieces would tumble about until they left the edges of the screen,and the whole process would start over.At the bottom of the screen was my menu or options that the curious viewer could select. Each specimen I have has a number I assigned to it,and the viewer could type in the number,enter it,and the description would come up with additional options to return to the main menu,or to look at the specimens 3D crystal system and more. Even with the little bit of memory available,the program worked like a charm,and I believe I still have a dot matrix hard copy of the program somewhere. It took me about 6 weeks to program the set up. I kinda miss those days,but at my age,I no longer have that kind of patience...and have gotten lazy since the birth of MS Windows.

Yep they were good times, you could spend weeks defining your programme in basic, then compile it with any one of the reasonable cheap tools available and then create the DOS shell to run it. Windows made us lazy for shure.
AMD FSX 8 Series 4.65 KHz, 16GB Memory, ASUS MB, 2 X 2TB hard drives, 1 X 1TB SSD, Orico 4TB external backup drive, AMD 9000 series Graphics Card, 3 X AOC 25" Monitors Saitek AV8R, Saitek throttle block, custom cooling
Tonydb
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby B0ikat » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:42 pm

I collect gems and mineral crystals.

A fellow rockhound! I used to collect fossils, mainly from central Arkansas and eastern Missouri. I will again, too. I just have to train the GF that in order to do so, I need to keep a pocket full of gas and road food money.
B0ikat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Flacke » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:36 pm

Shadowcaster wrote:Thats a lot of computing power the new cartoons are very good but I still like the old ones.
Merrry Melodies
Loony Tunes
Tom and Jerry

Me too. The new ones I just "watch"but the old ones I really enjoy to this day.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Travis » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:02 am

Wow, this conversation is reminding me of rocking chairs and old . . . (ahem) . . . volumes. Gramps would be misty-eyed right about now. ;)

I pull the proverbial leg: I have a hard time believing the capabilities of some rendering systems that one can buy for home use these days, let alone the crazy stuff ILM or whichever studio Marvel uses. The first time I saw Iron Man in the theater, I had to go home immediately and look up which scenes were pure CGI, then go back the same evening and watch it again.

I'm hoping that in the near future, 3D capable rigs are affordable. Would also be nice to have an interface system (like hand sensors) that could allow fully-immersible 3D interaction with things like Max, PhotoShop, and other such stuff. How rewarding would it be to use your hands to "mold" an object and then be able to 3D print it?
Travis
Major
Major

Postby Shadowcaster » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:43 am

At the moment I'm watching Sanctuary (with the gorgeous Amanda Tapping 8-) ) and after watching the Extras showing how they do the green screen stuff I am now having a hard time wondering if other programs are real scenery or green screen :think:

Cheers
Rich

All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:01 am

Its a world of difference now, between Sesame Street, Thunderbirds (are go!), and the original Star Wars!

I get annoyed now, if I get confused between watching real stuff and CGI stuff mixed together, in the latest Movies!

It used to be plain and simple in the Olden Days, when you could actually see the strings, and paper models!..... :D ...!

Its all getting much too clever now, for its own good!... :roll: ...!

"Transformers" is ridiculous!.... :shock: ...!

"Sponge Bob" is OK!... :dance: ...!

Paul.... :lol: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Jean Loup » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:38 pm

Fozzer wrote:Its a world of difference now, between Sesame Street, Thunderbirds (are go!), and the original Star Wars!
I get annoyed now, if I get confused between watching real stuff and CGI stuff mixed together, in the latest Movies!
It used to be plain and simple in the Olden Days, when you could actually see the strings, and paper models!..... :D ...!
Its all getting much too clever now, for its own good!... :roll: ...!
"Transformers" is ridiculous!.... :shock: ...!
"Sponge Bob" is OK!... :dance: ...!
Paul.... :lol: ...!

What really hurts my eyes & hart, is when some aircraft takes are filmed with REAL réplicas (full-size or 3/4% size) or restored aircraft, flying in formation with REAL pilots. Then they intertwine ViRTUAL planes configured by PC geeks that NEVER boarded ANY SMALL AiRCRAFT not even as pasengers, plus the need to enhance the 3D technology with certain UNREAL perspectives. Like in the Aviator, or Flyboys... In the Red Baron they did not use so much virtual tech, but seeing a Jenny posing as an Austrian trainer, also hurts my eyes & hart somewhat :hand: The Battle of Britain has some unreal Ju-87 scale model atacks on Dover radars, or the explosions in the dogfights are really unreal. The Me-109's where with Spitfire engines!! Made by CASA in Spain, as well as their Ju-52/3m's & He-111's. For the flying takes they contracted many british & kraut pilots that were active in those dire battles... :think:
...LiCENSE & REGiSTRATiON !!
Jean Loup
Captain
Captain

Postby Travis » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:37 pm

I sorta give leeway to movies featuring aircraft. The reason being, most aircraft flights are pretty boring from the perspective of someone who doesn't know a great deal about aircraft. If The Aviator had stuck to the actual way aircraft were flown back then, the first flight of the H-1b would have been much less interesting. I was fairly impressed that they put the short wings on the digital model, but relied on the long wing replica that was flying at the time for some exterior shots. It was only confusing to someone who knew about the aircraft, and I have since spoken to several people that had absolutely no idea there were two versions of the aircraft in that scene.

I'm also fairly certain that other professions get this treatment in standard Hollywood fair. I can't presume to know which ones, but I'll bet a mint that the police of any major city get a bit miffed when the Fast and Furious team best their on-screen analogues so fluidly. Or when Spider-Man delivers the bad guys like a wrapped present and the cops begin pelting him with bullets or tell him to "Freeze!" I can almost hear some of the audience groan aloud because they know how a real police officer would handle that situation. And there are numerous others, I'm sure.
Travis
Major
Major

Postby stephan » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:30 am

The movie Sin City with an all star cast was one of those real mixed with CG flicks. They did an amazing job...giving it an almost surreal comic book quality to the movie.
//
I see a fellow rockhound responded in this tread ! Outstanding !!! Most of my Facebook pages that I have LIKEd are gem traders and rockhound pages. I prefer uncut mineral crystals to the gem cut ones. Granted,those gem cuts add that special sparkle to the stone,but when I look at my emerald,ruby,sapphire,chrysoberyl (catseye $$$$$$$) tanzanite (which is illegal to sell in crystal form anymore--[extremist groups started buying them cheap,sat on them a while,and leaked a few with the not so very secret of financing their weapons caches with the cash ...thus the price of xtals went thru the roof!!] and think to myself,this came from the rock and ground just like this,...forming over many,many years...and now,it is mine...there's such a quiet excitement that runs over me. One specimen I have was a gift from a person who bought it in a jewelry box of cosmetic jewelry at an estate auction. I wasnt sure what it was,but I had my suspicions,so I took it to a gem dealer 50 miles away,and it was confirmed to be an $8,000.oo stone of chrysoberyl catseye. I have several stones of rather high value that were sold to me by folks who didnt know what they were. Now,with over 600 specimens,one of them ,being one of my favorites being a 3 ct. star Burmese ruby cabochon, will never be sold. I have plans to will them to the local community college for their geology department,with the stipulation that they never be sold,and when not displayed,locked in a secure place. I havent had the cash to go rockhounding or to purchase any further specimens,but I figure with over 600 specimens,I should avoid being greedy,and remain content with the beautiful collection I do have. // The computer program that I made ages ago in BASIC and DOS had the exploding , spinning 3D brilliant cut diamond,took me quite a while to program,and the hardcopy of just the effect was pages and pages long. But those were the day when after all those long hours of work,and you ironed out any and all bugs,and the finished program worked like intended,the love of programming was well rewarded and worth it.
stephan

Postby logjam » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:52 pm

Way back in '85 I wrote a program that I called "aye up!" it was an e-mail notification program that would dial up your 1200bps modem to let you know when your mail box contained a flagged e-mail. Itried to sell it to AOL but they didn't want to know. I did spend a few years trying to market it and I still have it if anyone wants it. It's good for 2400bps.
logjam
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:59 pm

I have crates of 1/4 tape cassettes containing all sorts of games and programs that I used to spend hours of Sinclair BASIC and Machine Code programs that I typed into my Sinclair Spectrum 48K Computer since 1982!

It was a magic time, (1980's) when all we; "Bedroom Programmers" got together with our various 8-bit computers, Sinclair Spectrum 48 (Timex), Commodore C64, Amstrad CPC 464, BBC B, etc, to demonstrate our programming skills!

I still have all my Computers and their hardware, programs, and programming manuals, stored for instant use in my spare bedrooms!

...including my lovely 16-bit Amiga 500, with upgraded processor and memory.

I carry out my Spectrum Programming and de-bugging, etc, care of my prized; "Spectaculator" program now!....>>> http://www.spectaculator.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX_Spectrum

A truly wonderful programming language: Sinclair BASIC and Zilog Z80 assembly code.

Sinclair Spectrum...The King is dead..Long live the King!

Paul....8-bit enthusiast!.... :D ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby logjam » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:33 pm

logjam
Major
Major

Next

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design