GSL Question

General discussion for CFS2 - WW 2 Pacific Theater

GSL Question

Postby investdude » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:32 am

Maybe Hagar will have the answer to this question. I am following the procedure to add the SW Korea Bases. In the GSL section it says to activate the GSLMan.exe, highlight Korea.gsl, click Add and wait for it to add 26 gob areas. However the GSLMan.exe can only be run from the DEFAULT CFS2 location. I have my Korea CFS2 as a separate install. How can I get GSLMan.exe to run from a separate install? Can I run it from the default CFS2 GSL location and transfer to my Korea CFS2 location?
investdude
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: GSL Question

Postby Hagar » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:19 am

investdude wrote:Maybe Hagar will have the answer to this question. I am following the procedure to add the SW Korea Bases.

I wasn't aware of this package & I should point out that it's not part of the Fox Four Korea project. I downloaded it to check it out.
Like yours, my CFS2 is not in the default location. The root folder of my CFS2 is C:\Combat Flight Simulator 2

I followed the instructions & all seems to have worked as advertised. See my shot below:

In the GSL section it says to activate the GSLMan.exe, highlight Korea.gsl, click Add and wait for it to add 26 gob areas. However the GSLMan.exe can only be run from the DEFAULT CFS2 location. I have my Korea CFS2 as a separate install. How can I get GSLMan.exe to run from a separate install? Can I run it from the default CFS2 GSL location and transfer to my Korea CFS2 location?

Are you sure about this? The instructions are not too clear. Make sure you read them carefully. See my shot above.

Open your CFS2 GSL folder and make a backup copy of your cfs2.gsl file. Copy or cut and paste the GSLMan.exe and the Korea.gsl from this folder into your root CFS2 GSL folder. Activate the GSLMan.exe and highlight the Korea.gsl on the left side of the dialog box. Click Add and wait until it loads (26 gob areas). Close the GSLMan.exe and exit the GSL folder.

Hope this helps

Note: I haven't completed the install procedure so I can't check it out properly. I'm not sure it will be compatible with an existing install of the Fox Four Korea airfields.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby investdude » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:36 pm

Thanks for your reply Hagar, it was helpful. The problem I was having appears to have originated with the ZIP file of the SW Korea Bases package I was using, which came from Sim Outhouse. It was missing a file and must have been otherwise corrupted. I downloaded and used the same package from Simviation which included the missing file and everything worked perfectly.

When you run the GSLMan.exe file and click on "About" it gives you a message that it "must be located in and run from the CFS2 GSL folder." I mistakenly interpreted that to mean the CFS2 DEFAULT folder when it failed to run as advertised.

I realize SW Korea Bases is not part of the Fox Four Korea project. The installations instructions advise to deactivate and remove the Fox Four Far East Scenery pack and I have done that as it is easy to restore it again if necessary. The SW Korea scenery works very well and is an improvement on the Fox Four Scenery but I don't know yet if it will work with Fox Four missions as I haven't tried any yet. If not I will just activate and deactivate sceneries as necessary.

Thanks again for your help Hagar. You are the greatest source of CFS2 expertise on the net and your help is much appreciated!
investdude
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:21 pm

Glad I could help & thanks for your kind words. There are still plenty of people around who know more than me about CFS2. My old friend & Fox Four colleague Tom Sandford (Tango_Romeo) for one, although I haven't seen him around here for a while. As I've said many times over the last few years, I've forgotten most of what I knew about it. :?

I realize SW Korea Bases is not part of the Fox Four Korea project. The installations instructions advise to deactivate and remove the Fox Four Far East Scenery pack and I have done that as it is easy to restore it again if necessary. The SW Korea scenery works very well and is an improvement on the Fox Four Scenery but I don't know yet if it will work with Fox Four missions as I haven't tried any yet. If not I will just activate and deactivate sceneries as necessary.

I've since tried the SW Korea Bases which are excellent. However, I don't think they would be compatible with the Fox Four Korean campaigns. Steve McClelland's Korea scenery that we used in the campaigns was ideal as the basic airfields could be populated with "exploding" mission objects for each mission using the Mission Builder.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby investdude » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:59 am

Just FYI Hagar, I have tried 2 different Fox Four missions and they both worked perfectly with the SW Korea scenery with the very slight defect that on one of the missions the aircraft started out positioned just a little bit short of the runway. I'll try a few more missions when I get time and report back.
investdude
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:26 am

investdude wrote:Just FYI Hagar, I have tried 2 different Fox Four missions and they both worked perfectly with the SW Korea scenery with the very slight defect that on one of the missions the aircraft started out positioned just a little bit short of the runway. I'll try a few more missions when I get time and report back.

Thanks for the feedback. 8-)

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Polar_Lion » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:42 pm

Sorry to chime in late,

There are some changes that have to be made in order to use SW's (Shadow Wolf) scenery. the missions that start on land have to be hand edited with the correct base location. The late Talon had done this but never released it. You will want to use either the FF bases or SW's. you can't use both. Any missions that start you on the carrier will not need to be edited.

*** NOTE: Don't edit them with MB (Mission Builder). You will destroy the hand edited portions and in some cases the entire mission. ***

I think there might be a reworked mission/campaign set at SOH. Don't quote me on that. I'll See if SW can upload a patch to address this. I'm sure Tango wouldn't mind, but we'll ask just to be sure.

For future reference, the GSLMAN.exe just has to be in the GSL folder. That is all. I use the same thing for my WWI scenery.

'til Later,
John
Polar_Lion
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Combat Flight Simulator 2