My New FSX Freeware Project

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

Re: My New FSX Freeware Project

Postby B0ikat » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:52 pm

Partial success! No errors, but no .mdl was generated, so I copy-pasted onto the XtoMDL in the SDK, and it worked!

Babylon 5 Narn Regime G'Quan-class cruiser

Just a test to make a MDL file from a freebee Blender file.

Thanks again KP!! :clap:
B0ikat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Krispy1001 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:16 am

B0ikat wrote:Partial success! No errors, but no .mdl was generated, so I copy-pasted onto the XtoMDL in the SDK, and it worked!

Babylon 5 Narn Regime G'Quan-class cruiser
Just a test to make a MDL file from a freebee Blender file.

Thanks again KP!! :clap:

Hi B0ikat!

That looks Awesome! Very, Very Cool!!!!!!! :D

B0ikat did you do a default install of your FSX SDK? If not that could be why the Blender2FSX toolset for Blender is not finding the XtoMDL file. You may have to go into your registry and see what the path is for xtoMDL file and update the path for Blender2FSX tools manually.

Thanks, Kris ^-^
Living By Faith

Philippians 4:6

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell GOD what you need, and thank him for all he has done.(NLT)
Krispy1001
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby B0ikat » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:27 am

I do not think it is default install. It's C:\fsxdk\SDK\...kit.

I've never tinkered with the registry before.

Thanks again for the help!
B0ikat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby B0ikat » Thu May 14, 2015 12:39 am

Partial success:

If I try the "copy and drop" with both the "*".x and "*".xanim onto the XtoMDL, I get nothing. When I drop just the "*".x file, I get the .MDL. Naturally, that means no animations, hence all the animated surfaces are at the default "down" position.

I guess the next question is, "What is this 'registry thing of which you speak"? Like I said, I've never messed with registration files. :eusa-think:
B0ikat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Krispy1001 » Fri May 15, 2015 7:46 pm

B0ikat wrote:Partial success:

If I try the "copy and drop" with both the "*".x and "*".xanim onto the XtoMDL, I get nothing. When I drop just the "*".x file, I get the .MDL. Naturally, that means no animations, hence all the animated surfaces are at the default "down" position.

I guess the next question is, "What is this 'registry thing of which you speak"? Like I said, I've never messed with registration files. :eusa-think:

Hi B0ikat!

Looks very good!

If you have not worked with the registry before I do not think I would mess with it. Because if you do anything wrong with the registry your system may not work at all. The registry basically holds all of the locations of the software installed in your system.

Here is how the Blender2FSX add-on is trying to get the path for your xToMdl file. In the Blender2FSX file exposr_fsx.py you will see this code:

# For Windows 64 bit
handle=OpenKey(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, 'SOFTWARE\\Wow6432Node\\Microsoft\\Microsoft Games\\Flight Simulator X SDK')
(sdkdir,t)=QueryValueEx(handle, 'SdkRootdir')
handle.Close()
except FileNotFoundError:
# For Windows 32 bit
handle=OpenKey(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, 'SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Microsoft Games\\Flight Simulator X SDK')
(sdkdir,t)=QueryValueEx(handle, 'SdkRootdir')
handle.Close()
XToMdl = ''.join([sdkdir, "\\Environment Kit\\Modeling SDK\\3DSM7\\Plugins\\XToMdl.exe"])
modeldef = ''.join([sdkdir, "\\Environment Kit\\Modeling SDK\\bin\\modeldef.xml"])
try:
spawnv(P_WAIT, XToMdl, ['XToMdl.exe', '/XANIM', '/DICT:"%s"' % modeldef, '"%s"' % (ensure_ext(self.Config.filepath,'.x'))])
assert getsize(ensure_ext(self.Config.filepath,'.MDL'))
except:
if exists(ensure_ext(self.Config.filepath,'.MDL')):
unlink(ensure_ext(self.Config.filepath,'.MDL')) # remove 0-length file
raise ExportError("Export to .MDL failed. XToMdl.exe returned an error.")

If the correct path is not being pulled from your registry then the XToMdl file will not work.

But before you start trying to find out if you can manually set the path for your XToMdl file for Blender2FSX, Why don't you send me a copy of your file and I will see if their may be an error with your Blender file. You can E-mail me at krispy1001@kp-coolstuff.com

Thanks, Kris ^-^
Living By Faith

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell GOD what you need, and thank him for all he has done.(NLT)
Krispy1001
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby B0ikat » Fri May 15, 2015 8:23 pm

Thanks. I'm on short vacation until Monday or Tuesday, and don't have access to my computer. I'll send the file when I get back. Until then, thanks again!
B0ikat
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Scabolcz » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:32 am

Sorry to post this here, but i'm having an issue.. I have Blender 2.73, and those scripts and folder with the files inside (Blender\2.73\scripts\addons), but I don't see any importer related to fsx mdl in blender... Do i have to customize the interface to add it? What do I do?

Thanks in advance!

Scabolcz
Scabolcz
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Scabolcz » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:57 pm

Ok, i can see the tools, but I can't see any importer... Is it included with the file mentioned in the 1st page?
Scabolcz
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby pete » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:19 pm

Hi Scabolcz

Welcome to the forum 8-)

You should post your question as a new topic- no one will see it here ....... ;)

Thanks
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Flacke » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:46 am

Hello, I just checked myself out on your nice little Jodel D112. My friend built a really nice Jodel D11 and he loved it. He flew it until he couldn't fly anymore. I would have bought the airplane myself if I had the chance.
Your Jodel looks great and flys very nicely. Its an all-around nice airplane so I will be keeping it in my FSX-Steam Ed. hangar. Thanks.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Krispy1001 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:17 pm

Flacke wrote:Hello, I just checked myself out on your nice little Jodel D112. My friend built a really nice Jodel D11 and he loved it. He flew it until he couldn't fly anymore. I would have bought the airplane myself if I had the chance.
Your Jodel looks great and flys very nicely. Its an all-around nice airplane so I will be keeping it in my FSX-Steam Ed. hangar. Thanks.

Hi Flacke!

Thank you very much. That is my first aircraft that I modeled for release. And I will say that it leaves a lot to desire. I do plane some day to do a updated version of the aircraft.

Thank you, Kris :-)

Sorry I did not see your post I have not been watching this post.
Living By Faith

Krispy1001
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Krispy1001 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:24 pm

Scabolcz wrote:Sorry to post this here, but i'm having an issue.. I have Blender 2.73, and those scripts and folder with the files inside (Blender\2.73\scripts\addons), but I don't see any importer related to fsx mdl in blender... Do i have to customize the interface to add it? What do I do?

Thanks in advance!

Scabolcz

Hi Scabolcz! Sorry I did not see your post. But I have not been watching this post. If you have not been able to fix your problem yet please let me know. But I need more information. Did you download the Blender2FSX tool from FSDeveloper. You should also read the full wiki on the Blender2FSX addon. As Mr. Pete said you should start your own thread. That way more people will read your post. This post has not been active for a long time now because, I have not been working on this project.

Thanks, Kris :-)
Living By Faith

Krispy1001
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Previous

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design