Location of fsx.cfg

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Location of fsx.cfg

Postby pete » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:25 am

This used to be in the FAQ but someone removed it.

Always a good idea to make a backup of your fsx.cfg file. So where is it?

With all the talk of Steam and how it might change your fsx.cfg file - I thought I would mention where this file is located (it's not in the FSX folder)

C:\Users\Your Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX (vista/w7)

(If you cannot see it go to left menu of the folder window - Organize - folder and search options - View - and 'Show hidden files)
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Location of fsx.cfg

Postby Hagar » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:59 am

Good one Pete!

pete wrote:Always a good idea to make a backup of your fsx.cfg file.

Indeed. This applies to all default files before attempting to edit/modify them.

All I know about FSX-SE is what I've read about it here & on other websites, including the Steam forums & FAQ.
As I understand it, if you have FSX boxed edition already installed FSX-SE & all associated files will be installed to separate directories.
Note: This could cause problems installing some 3rd party software with auto-installers to FSX-SE.

The main CFG file will be named fsx-se.cfg & will be in the following directory:
C:\Users\Your Name\AppData\Roaming\\Microsoft\FSX-SE\fsx_se.CFG

To be on the safe side here's a little tip I discovered years ago while experimenting with duplicate installations of MSFS.
Before installing FSX-SE take a copy of fsx.cfg & rename it. Any prefix will do, let's say fsx-ms.exe
Make sure your new fsx-ms.exe is in the same directory as the original fsx.exe
When you first run FSX from the renamed EXE file a brand new CFG file with the same prefix (in this case fsx-ms.cfg) will be created alongside fsx.cfg.
Data from your original fsx.cfg can then be pasted into it. I've tested this before posting so I know it works.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:02 am

Hagar wrote:To be on the safe side here's a little tip I discovered years ago while experimenting with duplicate installations of MSFS.
Before installing FSX-SE take a copy of fsx.cfg & rename it. Any prefix will do, let's say fsx-ms.exe
When you first run FSX from the renamed EXE file a brand new CFG file with the same prefix (in this case fsx-ms.cfg) will be created alongside fsx.cfg.
Data from your original fsx.cfg can then be pasted into it. I've tested this before posting so I know it works.

Please note that fsx.cfg should read fsx.exe. Sorry for the typo.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby garymbuska » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:10 am

Hagar wrote:Good one Pete!

Indeed. This applies to all default files before attempting to edit/modify them.

All I know about FSX-SE is what I've read about it here & on other websites, including the Steam forums & FAQ.
As I understand it, if you have FSX boxed edition already installed FSX-SE & all associated files will be installed to separate directories.
Note: This could cause problems installing some 3rd party software with auto-installers to FSX-SE.

The main CFG file will be named fsx-se.cfg & will be in the following directory:

To be on the safe side here's a little tip I discovered years ago while experimenting with duplicate installations of MSFS.

All I can say is I know for a fact that when I was beta testing the steam edition of FSX it used my Microsoft version of the FSX cfg file. I know this for a fact because it tried to use the default aircraft that I have set up in FSX and because like you stated the steam edition creates its own folders it could not find the aircraft that I use in my Microsoft version because it is not a default aircraft. It took me a few minuets to figure out why I was getting the Aircraft not initializing error when I started up the Steam edition. That was when I renamed my FSX cfg file to force the steam version to make its own.
Now it is possible that Steam changed this as I reported it as a problem so It might make its own version of the FSX.cfg file
I uninstalled the Stem version as I personally did not like the textures that it was using. My default airport which is KJAX was completely different.
Now I have to be honest it was not all that bad but I just did not like the way it looked as the changes were nothing like the real thing.
But the auto installers could indeed be a problem as most of them look in the default location. Something I check out good before i download anything as I do not have FSX installed in the default location. In most cases reading the read me file will let you know this.
It has been my experience that most of the trusted download sites will give you a option as to where to install there products. But as they say it is wise to read the read me file and know your download source well.
<<s
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Steve M » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:17 pm

I have my boxed FSX on C drive and my SE FSX installed/partitioned to D drive. Does anyone know if that would make a difference?
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby garymbuska » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:14 pm

Steve M wrote:I have my boxed FSX on C drive and my SE FSX installed/partitioned to D drive. Does anyone know if that would make a difference?

It does not make a deference as to where you have the Game installed because the cfg file is put in the same place no matter what.
Location depends on your operating system in windows 7 and 8 64 bit you will find this file on the C drive under Users\Your Name\Application Data\roaming\Microsoft\FSX or something like that.
Now if steam does make its own FSX CFG file than you do not have to worry about it.

<<v
Gary M Buska
SYSTEM Specs ASUS P8Z68 V/GEN 3 mother board: INTELL I7 2600k 3.48 ghz Quad core CPU with Sandy bridge: 12 Gigs of 1800hz ram:
GTX 950 OVER CLOCKED: 2 Gigs Ram Windows 10 Home 64 bit Operating system. 750W Dedicated modular power supply. Two Internal 1TB hard drives 1 External 1TB 3.2 USB hard drive. SAITEK Cessna flight Yoke with throttles.
CH Rudder Peddles 27 inch Wide screen Monitor
garymbuska
Major
Major

Postby Steve M » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:43 pm

OK, thanks for your reply Garymb.
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby zswobbie1 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:34 am

The 3 most imprtant words in simming: Back-up, Back-up, Back-up!

I foung a little desktop search engine called 'Everything' from www.voidtools.com.
This saves a lot of head scratching when trying to find stuff.
It's free, & once you install it, it takes a minute or two to index your drives (once only). Then, when you want to search for, let's say... fsx.cfg, as you start typing, it starts giving suggestions, so, by the time you get to fsx. it will give a list of appropiate files names.

I've found it to be pretty essential for any PC use.
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Kimchoc » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:30 am

garymbuska wrote:
Hagar wrote:Good one Pete!

All I can say is I know for a fact that when I was beta testing the steam edition of FSX it used my Microsoft version of the FSX cfg file. I know this for a fact because it tried to use the default aircraft that I have set up in FSX and because like you stated the steam edition creates its own folders it could not find the aircraft that I use in my Microsoft version because it is not a default aircraft. It took me a few minuets to figure out why I was getting the Aircraft not initializing error when I started up the Steam edition. That was when I renamed my FSX cfg file to force the steam version to make its own.
Now it is possible that Steam changed this as I reported it as a problem so It might make its own version of the FSX.cfg file
I uninstalled the Stem version as I personally did not like the textures that it was using. My default airport which is KJAX was completely different.
Now I have to be honest it was not all that bad but I just did not like the way it looked as the changes were nothing like the real thing.
But the auto installers could indeed be a problem as most of them look in the default location. Something I check out good before i download anything as I do not have FSX installed in the default location. In most cases reading the read me file will let you know this.
It has been my experience that most of the trusted download sites will give you a option as to where to install there products. But as they say it is wise to read the read me file and know your download source well.
<<s

Steam does not change any textures. There have been and are no changes made to scenery. They only have rights from ms to enable the game to function through the steam portal. It includes some tweaks in the cfg for allowing the game to run with newer processors.
The release version does not interact with the box version cfg. However, if you install on a computer that has never had or does not have the box version, it will install with all the same named directories as fax normally would.
Kimchoc
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Azframer » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:15 am

If you are running FSX in windows 8/8.1 click start then run and paste this %AppData%\Microsoft\FSX in and it will take you straight to your FSX.CFG file

Rick
Azframer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:33 am

Azframer wrote:If you are running FSX in windows 8/8.1 click start then run and paste this %AppData%\Microsoft\FSX in and it will take you straight to your FSX.CFG file

Rick

Excellent short-cut, Rick!.... :clap: ...!

Paul....short-cuts are always nice!.... :D ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby loomex » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:46 am

For those of you yet to explore Windows 10, the FSX.cfg is in the same place as 7/8.1
loomex
Major
Major

Postby helios16v » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:15 pm

Another trick to find a "missing" fsx.cfg file...

side-fish has Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition Dec 28, 2014 @ 6:29pm

Open Notepad first. Go to File in the menu bar and click Open.

For fsx.cfg, copy this to the text box:

C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

Select 'All Files' to see files other than .txt documents. Select fsx.cfg and Open.

Found this technique utilizing Notepad when the above search for the file netted 0 results. I'm still running Windows7 for what it's worth.
helios16v
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Flacke » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:34 pm

<<s[/quote]

Hello gary, yes your report worked. When you install FSX Steam Edition it makes its own file named FSX_SE.cfg and it does not interfere in any way with the FSX.cfg from your FSX installation. FYI.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Jean Loup » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:51 pm

pete wrote:This used to be in the FAQ but someone removed it.

Always a good idea to make a backup of your fsx.cfg file. So where is it?

With all the talk of Steam and how it might change your fsx.cfg file - I thought I would mention where this file is located (it's not in the FSX folder)

C:\Users\Your Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX (vista/w7)

(If you cannot see it go to left menu of the folder window - Organize - folder and search options - View - and 'Show hidden files)

Same place in Windows 10 also.
<<q
...LiCENSE & REGiSTRATiON !!
Jean Loup
Captain
Captain

Next

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam