Motorcyclists Corner.....

With a lot of interest in Auto's here, only wingless machines please!

Re: Motorcyclists Corner.....

Postby Fozzer » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:51 am

A wonderful, wonderful, wonderful read, Beaky!.... :dance: ...!

I'm still following your tortuous journey on Google Satellite and Street Maps!
...and what a journey!
It was like following a one hour TV episode of Henry Cole's trip from Key West to New Orleans in the Travel Channel; "The Worlds Greatest Motorcycle Rides".
I'll give you, and your trusty bike, 10/10 for stamina and endurance over that long journey!
I am amazed that that old Japanese Honda CX 500/650 from the distant past still performs so well today....it was a troublesome beast in the past as my Motorcycle Mechanic Son recalls the infamous; "Plastic Maggot"... :D ...!
She certainly is a lot cheaper than its Harley Davidson equivalent for pulling both its Rider and luggage in reasonable comfort!
I bet you were really proud of her at the journey's end!
Looking forward to some Pics now, Sean!

There are some wonderful journeys to be had in the USA, from the East Coast to the West Coast, both North and South!
How I envy you...and your Trusty Steed!

"Route 66" on the agenda next?.... ;) ...The best bit from Texas to Santa Monica...the Desert run!

Take care...!

Paul.... :mrgreen: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:16 am

Anthindelahunt wrote:Had various bikes over the years but my most loved steed
was a Yamaha SR-500 single. Reliable,handled really well and
looked like a 1950's English bike. I loved that "Thumper". Had
a nice cheat. Valve Lifter.

Have not rode for some years.

Thanks guys for the memories.

Anthin.

Hello Anthin... :D ...!

Thanks for the heads-up on the old Yamaha SR 500 big thumper!
Another troublesome beast in its day, from the reports at the time;....
"...destroys pistons, cam-chains, gearboxes and electrics. Poor paint, chrome, disc and suspension, vibrates above 70 MPH and gives poor fuel economy for the performance"..... :o ....!

...but Yamaha must have sorted something out by now, as its now been reintroduced as a brand new SR 400 model in the UK...>>>
http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/products/ ... sr400.aspx
I spot them on my bike journeys now and again......nostalgia rules again!... :D ....!

This trip would suit you Anthin;...>>>
http://www.travelchanneltv.asia/series- ... GHg58Eyrcs

From Sidney to Perth on a Harley!

Time to get the freedom of another Bike?.... ;) ...!

Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Anthindelahunt » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:32 pm

Thanks for that Fozzer. That Yamaha looks a lot like mine except smaller.
I never had a problem with the 500 except as you say the crome.

I unfortunately won't be riding anymore due to an extremely bad spine.
The trible bypas op end of last year made it a lot worse.

Regards Anthin.
Anthindelahunt
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:08 pm

Anthindelahunt wrote:Thanks for that Fozzer. That Yamaha looks a lot like mine except smaller.
I never had a problem with the 500 except as you say the chrome.

I unfortunately won't be riding any more due to an extremely bad spine.
The triple by-pass op end of last year made it a lot worse.

Regards Anthin.

Sorry to hear of your medical problems, Anthin.... :( ...!

Its a bugger when life throws something unpleasant at you, when you've still got a long way to go.

My only problem is insufficient strength to lift up a fallen Harley Davidson Cruiser, due mostly to old age (80) and extreme tiredness....ZZZzzzz.... :lol: ...!

Paul....long way to go yet!.... :mrgreen: ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Anthindelahunt » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:16 pm

Dropping a Harley would be high on my no no list.

Life throws some curves at you. I am very lucky to
be still here. I do wish I could ride again though.
That Yamaha sure looks nice.

Regards Anthin.

PS. Hope I make it to 80.
Anthindelahunt
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:46 pm

Anthindelahunt wrote:Dropping a Harley would be high on my no no list.

Regards Anthin.

When it comes to hauling Harley Davidson Cruisers around, most/all of the American riders that I see with them are built like heavily tattooed, bearded, big-bellied, Sherman Tanks; quite capable of lifting a 1200 HD Cruiser over their head with no difficulty whatsoever...and a triumphant....Yee-Haaa!......
...whereas lil' old me, a 5 feet 7 inches weakling, and weighing a mere 154 Lbs, have difficulty in wheeling my 1996 Honda CB500RR Twin around without the constant fear of dropping it!

I need more strength and stamina.....

...and a Yamaha XVS 250 Dragstar!.... :D ....>>> http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/biker ... 000--2004/ ...light and manageable!

Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Anthindelahunt » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:13 pm

Know the feeling. I am 5' 7' and 138 pounds.

Lost a hell of a lot of weight over the past year
and unfortunately a lot of muscle.
The weight loss has helped me though.

Some of those bikers could pass as mountain gorillas.

Off now to my weekly visit to the drug store for a pile of
scripts and then to the supermarket. That usually trashes me for the rest
of the day.

Hopefully some flying this afternoon.

Anthin.
Anthindelahunt
Major
Major

Postby beaky » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:57 pm

Fozzer wrote:I am amazed that that old Japanese Honda CX 500/650 from the distant past still performs so well today....it was a troublesome beast in the past as my Motorcycle Mechanic Son recalls the infamous; "Plastic Maggot"... :D ...!

Yes, I think the key difference is that the GLs have a better and more reliable charging system; the older stators and coils are troublesome on the earlier bikes. The other wek points- shared by the GLs- can be avoided with proper maintenance: timing chain, main seal, radiator fan.
But I can't imagine going around with only one disc up front- even with two, my machine's braking is pretty old-school compared to modern bikes. The dual discs with dual pistons on each side were maybe 5 years ahead of the time in 1982, but the rear drum is from the 30s... :roll:
beaky
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby beaky » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:00 pm

Anthindelahunt wrote:Dropping a Harley would be high on my no no list.

Regards Anthin.

Maybe a trike of some kind? You could get away with a more recumbent seat, and dropping it would not be a worry. Not the same, but still more fun than driving!
beaky
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Anthindelahunt » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:52 pm

Thanks beaky. Wonder how much they cost?
I have only ever seen one trike here in the
ACT and that was quite a few years ago.
HMMM. I wonder.

Regards Anthin.
Anthindelahunt
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:23 pm

Well Chums...
Winter is rapidly approaching now, with temperatures dropping well below freezing, and icy roads always the possibility, so my usual daily explorations are starting to become somewhat limited as the cold creeps into my old bones!
Last Sunday's ride to Wales was abandoned due to the uncomfortable wind chill in the air.
Another very cold day today kept me indoors in the warm, but to compensate, on tonight's TV was one of my favourite rides on the 'Travel Channel'; Highway 1 from Santa Rosa to Los Angeles, hugging the Pacific coast all the way down....>>>
Henry Cole on his new Saxon Chopper!
Series 1: Riding US Highway 1;
http://www.travelchanneltv.asia/series- ... IYTfMH1jcs

Also a favourite, very familiar route for me to fly in the Flight Simulator, following the same road with the blue Pacific Ocean always at my side!

A short sample of the Highway 1 delights, on You-Tube...>>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS1IfwcW9Vo

Christmas approaching, and the New Year on the distant Horizon!

Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:24 am

When I woke up this morning, (an regular event that I am forever grateful for), a thought suddenly flashed through my mind, (as it frequently does)....
Who invented the now familiar; 'Positive-stop, foot-change, gear mechanism' on a motorcycle?
Being born in an age when most motorcycles on the road at the time, were fitted with Hand-change gear levers, operated through a gate fitted to the Petrol Tank.
I was very surprised to locate this spot of information:
The good-old British; KTT Velocette, in 1928!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocette_KTT

"The 1929 KTT was the first production motorcycle to feature positive-stop, foot-actuated gearchange".

(Many design examples were common between Velocette and HRD motorcycles).

I was very surprised that the invention was left so late in the history of motorcycles from the beginning of the Century!

The typical type of shift mechanism (drum) now found on modern motorcycles...>>> http://www.google.com/patents/US6308797

Paul...now shifting into top gear for breakfast!..... :mrgreen: ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby beaky » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:31 pm

An interesting read... in 1919, some crazy Englishman rode solo from NYC to San Francisco on a Henderson, and survived to write a little book about it. The most amazing thing about it, to me, is how little paved road there was in the USA at that time... he never added up how many miles he pushed that heavy 1100-cc beast through mud and sand, but it must have been quite a ways.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/44505/44505-h/44505-h.htm
beaky
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Fozzer » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:46 am

Its January, its 2015, its a brand new year, the weather may be getting warmer, and my thoughts race towards another year of fantastic motorcycling again!
As my thoughts alternate between different motorcycle makes and models, for some strange reason I recall the days when I used to hate Harley Davidson motorcycles with a vengeance known only to riders of British, Italian, and Japanese motorcycles!
But having watched and enjoyed Henry Cole piloting his various Harley's through the glorious scenery of the USA on the Travel Channel and You-Tube, I am finally converted to the sight and sound of these magnificent Vee-Twins!
Over the years, since 1950, I have owned and ridden various motorcycles, singles, twins, and fours, 4-stokes and various frantic 2-strokes, but only one genuine Vee-twin, my 1948 (Vincent) HRD 1000cc Rapide!
Having listened to the thunder of the 45 degree Harley twins on the road during my various biking trips, I am now converted to the make and various models....and the folks who own and ride them with great pride!...>>>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ha ... otorcycles

Flat-Heads, Knuckle-heads, Pan-heads, Shovel-heads,....and Evolution...
..every one a bit of American motorcycling history!

As my Honda vertical Twin, and Yamaha 2-strokes, yearn to be on the road again, I rather fancy a nice Vee-twin Cruiser again for a pleasant, comfortable change, to ride the highways and byways of Great Britain...
...and close my eyes and wish I was on Route 66, between Flagstaff and Barstow, on a hot Sunny day!

Paul.....Bike it...You'll like it!.... :D ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:32 am

Buggar....

Spent ages this morning getting my bike, (and me), prepared for a nice leisurely trip to Abergavenny (Wales) to meet up with fellow bikers...

The weather was sunny, with a chilly temperature of -1 degrees Centigrade, (which I was wrapped up against).

Got the bike all prepared, polished, tyres pumped up, fuel in the tank, 2-stroke oil topped-up, throw-over saddle-bags loaded, Winter-woollies donned, ear-plugs poked deep into the ear-oles, crash-hat on, off to go!

Got 8 miles out of town, struggling against a a ferocious? headwind, with me travelling at at 20-25 MPH, throttle to the stop, guzzling loads of petrol!

Me and my poor little Yamaha finally decided that enough was enough, and the further 64 miles to accomplish the journey was far too much for both of us....
Abandoned the trip, turned around, and made the trip back home again to cook my Sunday Dinner instead.

So, the weather beat both of us, again, and yet another Week-end trip was abandoned!

I really must burn my boats, and fork-out some cash for a nice Yamaha XVS Dragstar, Vee-twim Cruiser, for some enjoyable, laid-back, comfortable, relaxing tours, in the up-coming Summer-time!

My pretty little Yamaha, 12HP, 2-Stroke, is fine when there is no wind, and no hills to navigate...but no match for the vagaries of the English weather, and the wide-open exposed English countryside on a bad day!

Maybe, next week-end will be better?

...but... all was not lost....My Sunday dinner was fantastic, and I have consumed half a bottle of Australian Shiraz...which has already brought a big smile upon my face...as it does!... :lol: ...!

..and the weather for me... "A deepening area of low pressure is expected to track across the UK during Wednesday and into Thursday. To the south of this system, gales or severe gales are expected to develop. Wind gusts of 50-60 mph are likely quite widely through the warning area, whilst gusts of 75 mph are likely around southern and western coasts and over exposed hills".
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to Autos