Anyone willing to help?

Anything to do with Aircraft Design, FSDS, G Max, Aircraft Animator, SDL Edit, etc. Novice or skilled - stop here & learn!

Anyone willing to help?

Postby Colt1775 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:40 am

Hello everyone. I'll be blunt. I was wondering how I would go about making an aircraft people can download.

I would like to make planes such as F22's with incredible paints that no one has thought to use. But the problem I don't know how to craft these kinds of things....
It's only recently that I've started to want to know how to do this.
Any kind of helpful feedback would be AMAZING. Well any feedback would be great :D
Colt1775
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Anyone willing to help?

Postby Apex » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:15 am

See this:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.p ... x_gamepack

Also Google "GMax" for more info and sites.

I know very little about this, so wait and see what anyone else here has to say and what advice they have to offer.

I believe GMax came with FS2002, maybe others. It's a very complex program which is used for flight simulation aircraft design like what we see in FS9, FSX, etc. If you download it, you will see what I mean.

Other programs I used in conjuction with repaints were DXTBitmap:

http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/programs/dxtbmp.htm

And 'Image Tool' is also helpful. Google it to find it. Both are free downloads.

For file format conversion, I used DXTBitmap and/or Image Tool. I believe Photoshop also can be used for conversion and repaints.

My own experience with repaints years ago (for myself, not worth uploading) came after doing photoediting and some other computer graphics things, so that prior experience was helpful, but despite my moderate computer knowledge, GMax was far beyond my reach.

My advice is to first learn how to repaint to get an idea of how these graphics programs work.

There may be online help for stuff like this.

It took me a while to figure it out. I don't do anything like this anymore, no time, and have forgotten a lot of details, but it was a worthwhile experience.

Good luck.
Apex
Major
Major

Postby Colt1775 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:24 pm

Okay thanks
Colt1775
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby jrbirdman » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:09 pm

I'll try to help with paints if you can make the models, maybe you and I can work together on what models to make and put out, eh? :) Let me know what you think. Kind regards, Jeremy
jrbirdman
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Colt1775 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:25 pm

truthfully I have no idea of how any of this stuff works. I'd probably be better off making a suggestion of it lol
Are there any YouTube videos that covers everything from selecting programs to how to build what I want? (only problem would be getting the simulator to test it on. My computer can't handle FSX.
Colt1775
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby logjam » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:13 am

I'd like to help too,but my level of expertise doesn't come close. Just be patient and one of the super nerds will be back.
logjam
Major
Major

Postby Colt1775 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:34 pm

Hey dude, it's cool. My idea isn't going anywhere it looks like. FSX won't install :/
Colt1775
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby nrev » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:54 pm

Hi its a long creating models for Flight Sims,
the GMax is a free download from here http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax

Note the registration webpage download
But, the tutorials will help in design

The biggest problem is exporting the gmax file out into a FSX model "mdl" file, you need Microsoft FSX Software Development Kit (SDK) on Gold Edition (possibly on other editions) Disk 1
nrev
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Krispy1001 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:46 pm

Colt1775 wrote:Hello everyone. I'll be blunt. I was wondering how I would go about making an aircraft people can download.

I would like to make planes such as F22's with incredible paints that no one has thought to use. But the problem I don't know how to craft these kinds of things....
It's only recently that I've started to want to know how to do this.
Any kind of helpful feedback would be AMAZING. Well any feedback would be great :D

Hi Colt1775!

Modeling an aircraft for FSX is an incredible huge task to undertake when you are first learning. But what you need to remember is to take baby steps. Any big task looks overwhelming at first.

The first thing that you need to do is set your goals so that you can succeed. So don't try to do anything to hard to start out. So First Decide what software you want to use to model with. And then start with just modeling a simple box and learn how to manipulate verities, edges, and faces which is the backbone of modeling. Once you master these techniques you will have now problem modeling you FSX project.

There are several very good programs out there for 3D modeling. GMax, 3DS, and Blender are just a couple to mention. I started with GMax when I started. That was back in about 1999, Gmax was a good program in it's time and there are a lot of good tutorials out there for it. I have also tried 3DS Max, and it is an incredible program. But it is very pricey for an hobbyist. I now use Blender, Blender is the most powerful freeware 3D software program that I have ever used. And it is getting better every day. Thanks to Mr. Felix AKA(Capt_X) at FSDeveloper.com and his Blender2FSX add-on that he made for Blender. Blender can now be used to make models for FSX.

I have made a series of video tutorials for Using Blender for making models for FSX. If you are interested here is a link to them.
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/blender-2-70-blender2fsx-tools-video-tutorials.430998/

I have also released my Jodel Blender Project as a learning tool for anyone that wants to use it. Here is the link to it:
http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/resources/categories/aircraft-design.2/

And I would be very happy to answer any questions you may have if you decide to learn Blender for your FSX projects.

Happy Blendering!
Thanks, Krispy1001 ^-^
Living By Faith

Philippians 4:6

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell GOD what you need, and thank him for all he has done.(NLT)
Krispy1001
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Aircraft & 3D Design