SIDS/STARS for business jets

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

SIDS/STARS for business jets

Postby Ant87 » Sun May 18, 2014 12:16 pm

Hey guys!

Out of interest if you were flying say a citation mustang from KSFO to KSEA with the plan to cruise at FL360 would you be required to use SIDS and STARS like a commercial liner or would you be controlled down by act and treated like a vrf aircraft ?

Thanks
Ant
Ant87
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: SIDS/STARS for business jets

Postby wifesaysno » Sun May 18, 2014 1:19 pm

It is all in the FARs :dance:

Airliners (regular scheduled airline-transport aircraft) have their own regs to follow. Biz aviation have their own as well. As far as how the aircraft will be treated in flight, in this case it would be treated like an IFR bird NOT VFR until told otherwise. Equipment and ability varies greatly from one biz bird to another even among same types. They are not standardized nearly as much as the flying buses.

A good bedtime read:
http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?tp ... tab_02.tpl

***sarcasm*** it is a horrid read but daily reading for anyone in aviation :D

I grew up with copies of the FAR/AIM books next to the family Bible at the kitchen table! :lol:

Tailwinds,
Adam
wifesaysno
Major
Major

Re: SIDS/STARS for business jets

Postby Hawkeye07 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:24 pm

I may be wrong but if I remember correctly the FAR's state that any aircraft flying above 18,000 ft have to be filed IFR.

I don't read the FAR's any more since I'm retired except when I'm having trouble falling asleep. :lol:

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Return to Flight School