Thumbnail and Name Help

FSX including FSX Steam version.

Thumbnail and Name Help

Postby Longhorn jet » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:45 pm

I have added lots of aircraft to FSX
After the last couple of rounds of installs I click on the select aircraft menu and look for what I want to fly almost all of the aircraft names don't match up to the thumbnails,
Anyone have clue what I can do to fix this?

Thanks
Greg
Longhorn Jet
KGTU
Texas
I love the smell of Jet Fuel in the morning.
Longhorn jet
Ground hog
Ground hog

Location: Georgetown, Texas, U.S.A. (30 miles north of Austin, Texas)

Re: Thumbnail and Name Help

Postby Hawkeye07 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:19 pm

I've had this happen a time or two. Look through your aircraft CFG's for any errors in your "texture= ". If I recall that was where my problem was. Other spots I always verify are "[fltsim._]", "model", "ui_manufacturer", "ui_variation" and "ui_type". Then again I do some weird rearranging with my planes.

Hawkeye

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby pete » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:51 am

Hi

This is the result of some aircraft missing thumbnails in the 'textures folder' -- so the listings will stop matching the thumbs in your aircraft menu.

The way to fix this can be tedious depending how many aircraft you have.

IN 'Select aircraft' - Go to the last aircraft where the thumb matches the aircraft. The one after that will probably be the 1st one missing a thumbnail in its 'textures' folder.

You can add thumbnails to the textures folder by using one of the images (if there are any - usually there are) and renaming it 'thumbnail.jpg' and moving it into the Textures folder

Personally I have 100's of a/c -- and most are now mismatched. For me it simply isn't worth fixing it -- so I go by aircraft name - not by image.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Hawkeye07 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:36 am

Duh! Pete's 100% correct (again :oops: ). It's been a while since I've had this happen too me. Evidently longer than I thought. :doh:

Hawkeye

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Longhorn jet » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:50 am

Thanks for all the help :D ,
With my mild OCD I will have to fix them all :doh:
I have fixed a hand full and they are working great :dance:

Thank you again <<r
Greg
Longhorn Jet
KGTU
Texas
I love the smell of Jet Fuel in the morning.
Longhorn jet
Ground hog
Ground hog

Location: Georgetown, Texas, U.S.A. (30 miles north of Austin, Texas)

Postby jandjfrench » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:31 pm

Hi,
Incorrectly matched thumbnails has been a recurrent problem. The last time there was a post regarding this the cause was traced to the FSX "UIres" folder having neither an "airplane.jpg" nor "thumbnail.jpg" file. It is possible to mask Microsoft's way of handling this situation by making sure that no aircraft has missing thumbnails. Here's a note I left to myself which includes additional details:

If an aircraft has a panel folder and the texture folders don't contain thumbnails, and the FSX Uires folder has neither an airplane.jpg nor thumbnail.jpg, the aircraft will display in the selection screen with the thumbnails of the succeeding aircraft.

Jim F.
jandjfrench
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:55 pm

jandjfrench wrote:If an aircraft has a panel folder and the texture folders don't contain thumbnails, and the FSX Uires folder has neither an airplane.jpg nor thumbnail.jpg, the aircraft will display in the selection screen with the thumbnails of the succeeding aircraft.

Jim F.

Thank you Jim. 8-) That explains why I've never had this problem. I have both airplane.jpg & thumbnail.jpg in my FSX\Uires folder.

This is airplane.jpg

And this is how an aircraft without its own thumbnail.jpg displays on my FSX Select Aircraft menu.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pete » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:53 pm

That's good to know :)

Next question (without researching) is why some have and some don't have airplane.jpg & thumbnail.jpg in the Uires folder? ;) (not in mine)

(& I suppose I may just copy any old jpg and 'save as' ..... )
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby jandjfrench » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:57 pm

Hi Hagar,
I've been trying to log these recurrent problems so that we don't repeatedly fight the same battles. In your situation you'll find that if you delete the airplane.jpg the thumbnail.jpg will be displayed in it's place on the selection screen. My guess is that MS did this to handle the case of 2 missing thumbnails in the aircraft folders.

Hey pete,
Just saw your post. Maybe you could extract the image from Hagar's post? I don't have time now but if it's still a problem I'll get the files to you later today.

Jim F.
jandjfrench
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hagar » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:02 pm

pete wrote:That's good to know :)

Next question (without researching) is how to get the airplane.jpg & thumbnail.jpg in the Uires folder? ;) (not in mine)

Easy peasy. Download the airplane.jpg from my last post. Remember to name it airplane.jpg before pasting it into your FSX\Uires directory.

This is thumbnail.jpg if you would like it.

Of course, I imagine you could use any images you wish as long as they have the correct file names.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:34 pm

jandjfrench wrote:Hi Hagar,
I've been trying to log these recurrent problems so that we don't repeatedly fight the same battles.

Good idea Jim.

In your situation you'll find that if you delete the airplane.jpg the thumbnail.jpg will be displayed in it's place on the selection screen.

I just tried it & can confirm that.

My guess is that MS did this to handle the case of 2 missing thumbnails in the aircraft folders.

The same image displays on the menu for any number of aircraft without thumbnails. Not sure why they did it unless the idea was to distinguish between jet & prop types. I notice there is also a helicopter.jpg.

pete wrote:Next question (without researching) is why some have and some don't have airplane.jpg & thumbnail.jpg in the Uires folder? ;) (not in mine)

Sorry Pete. I can't explain why these files appear to be missing from some versions of FSX.

My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Steam