Autolanding?

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

Autolanding?

Postby Huy753 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:51 am

Hello guys, does someone knows how to auto-land with a A320/Boeing 737? I tried to enable the ILS and APR(Approach) Knob/Button with the A/P engaged but can't seem to land automatically. Can anyone help me please?
Huy753
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Autolanding?

Postby Fozzer » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:41 am

I suspect that very few pilots, both real and Sim, would trust landing their aircraft under full autopilot control!

(The Autopilot will often bury you straight into the tarmac!).... :o ...!

Far safer to land them manually with the AP switched off, and the aircraft re-trimmed, during the later stages of the glide-slope.

Paul.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Huy753 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:59 am

Fozzer wrote:I suspect that very few pilots, both real and Sim, would trust landing their aircraft under full autopilot control!

(The Autopilot will often bury you straight into the tarmac!).... :o ...!

Far safer to land them manually with the AP switched off, and the aircraft re-trimmed, during the later stages of the glide-slope.

Paul.

I don't mean full auto-landing controll, I saw some auto-landing video's, trying to intercept the ILS and disable the A/P a view secs before landing.
Anyway, thanks for the reply.
Huy753
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby MASABI TROOPER » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:16 pm

Just as Paul said, i prefere to turn of the autopilot before landing, retrim the plane and land manually.....................

Saludos
Bruno
Bruno (Trooper)
MASABI TROOPER
Captain
Captain

Postby wifesaysno » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:30 pm

There have been two crashes of airliners recently that were traced to either faulty trust of autopilot on approach or a lack of hand-flying ability due to over-use of auto-pilot/auto-land.....in other words, TURN IT OFF AND HAND FLY THE AIRPLANE!!!!!!!!

Better yet, get yourself some tail-wheel time in a Cub, Citabria, Great Lakes, or any other old and simple taildragger. That will teach you how to properly fly.
wifesaysno
Major
Major

Postby WPadgett » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:42 pm

Huy753 wrote:Hello guys, does someone knows how to auto-land with a A320/Boeing 737? I tried to enable the ILS and APR(Approach) Knob/Button with the A/P engaged but can't seem to land automatically. Can anyone help me please?

I'm assuming you're trying engage the autopilot to do a coupled approach. To do this successfully you must be below the glideslope and preferably near center on the localizer prior to engaging the autopilot "approach mode."

This is a sim!! Go ahead & give it a try. You won't hurt anyone or break anything and who knows? You may learn something. That's what sims are for!

Have fun!

CP ASMEL Instruments
WPadgett
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby SG-19 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:32 am

Just a thought, Make sure you have tuned your NAV 1 radio to the correct frequency for the ILS. An error I have made on more than one occasion. <<q
SG-19
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Huy753 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:42 am

WPadgett wrote:
Huy753 wrote:Hello guys, does someone knows how to auto-land with a A320/Boeing 737? I tried to enable the ILS and APR(Approach) Knob/Button with the A/P engaged but can't seem to land automatically. Can anyone help me please?

I'm assuming you're trying engage the autopilot to do a coupled approach. To do this successfully you must be below the glideslope and preferably near center on the localizer prior to engaging the autopilot "approach mode."

This is a sim!! Go ahead & give it a try. You won't hurt anyone or break anything and who knows? You may learn something. That's what sims are for!

Have fun!

CP ASMEL Instruments

SG-19 wrote:

Just a thought, Make sure you have tuned your NAV 1 radio to the correct frequency for the ILS. An error I have made on more than one occasion.

Thanks guys & to everyone else, As I said I don't mean Land with a Auto Pilot just try to capture the Glideslope etc, and then disconnect the autopilot just before
landing. I'll give it a try :)
Huy753
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:38 am

Once you have dialled in the CORRECT ILS Frequency for the glide slope on Standby Frequency, transferred it over to the Active Frequency, and selected "APR" on the Radio, your VOR 1 indicator will display this pattern when you have intercepted it...>>>

Disconnect the AP and re-trim, just prior to landing.

Paul....Radio Navigation is fun!...(Especially on the default Bendix-King Radio Stack!).... :mrgreen: ...!

P.S. For anyone wishing to learn the ins and out of Radio Navigation, I would strongly recommend using the default Cessna 172 Trainer with its Bendix-King Radio Stack!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Huy753 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:23 am

Fozzer wrote:Once you have dialled in the CORRECT ILS Frequency for the glide slope on Standby Frequency, transferred it over to the Active Frequency, and selected "APR" on the Radio, your VOR 1 indicator will display this pattern when you have intercepted it...>>>

Disconnect the AP and re-trim, just prior to landing.

Paul....Radio Navigation is fun!...(Especially on the default Bendix-King Radio Stack!).... :mrgreen: ...!

P.S. For anyone wishing to learn the ins and out of Radio Navigation, I would strongly recommend using the default Cessna 172 Trainer with its Bendix-King Radio Stack!

Thank you really much Fozzer! :), your instructions + the others has really helped me out. I just figured out how to manage my first auto-landing on the Airbus A320 and Cessna. I really appreciate it :).
Friendly greetings, Huy753.
Huy753
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby WPadgett » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:41 pm

From a Wall Street Journal article on the recent crash of a UPS Airbus freighter at Birmingham AL. Thought it applied to this thread.

Quote by Robert Sumwalt, National Transportation Safety Board member, "Pilots frequently keep autopilots and auto throttles engaged throughout landing approaches."

CP ASMEL Instruments
WPadgett
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby logjam » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:21 am

If you do your approaches using Autopilot/Auto throttle engaged in App mode, you may or may not complete an auto land in FSX. It’s iffy at best, then you have to remember to disengage both Autopilot AND Auto throttle over the threshold so that you can use reverse thrust for braking. It’s a poor experience that will make you think twice before doing it again. Far better to disengage AP and AT, making sure that when you do, to re-trim properly.
logjam
Major
Major

Postby tinpusher » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:12 am

If you want to experience a real (hands off) autolanding, there is in the FS gauges section of this site an Autoland gauge which will perform CATII and CATIII approaches from ILS intercept till full stop. Simply search for "autoland".
tinpusher
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Huy753 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:22 am

Ok guys, ill look for it. Ty for supporting!
Huy753
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Flight School