There may still be a glimmer of hope for FS...

The latest and discontinued 'Flight' Game from Microsoft -

Re: There may still be a glimmer of hope for FS...

Postby Cusance » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:05 pm

The speed at which MS pulled 'Flight' gives some indication as to the returns they expect from games software development these days.
A flight simulator on the PC platform will never bring that kind of return. So they tested the water with Flight, they reviewed, analysed and made their decisions.

I am also quite sure that the license sale to Lockheed will have included some conditions:
they arent allowed to enter the games, consumer market for instance.
But dont read into this that MS is planning to return to this market.
Its just a standard 'rights reserving' thing to do.
I think that the future for flight simulators lies elsewhere now.
Yes, one may invest in PRD but in the end that product will develop further and further away from FSX.

FSX is the end of the line as such.
MS wont return to this market.

It just wouldnt make any commercial sense.
Cusance
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Double J » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:37 am

"I sware, they must of paid a whole room full of idiots & morons to sit around and just type that stuff up, to try to convience others this was the cat that ate the canary or something ! "

Shows you how bad this forum is when the mods let people post comments like that . The spelling is bad enough lol lol.
Double J
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Fishbed7701 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:46 am

Double J wrote:"I sware, they must of paid a whole room full of idiots & morons to sit around and just type that stuff up, to try to convience others this was the cat that ate the canary or something ! "

Shows you how bad this forum is when the mods let people post comments like that . The spelling is bad enough lol lol.

I don't think you can accurately judge the integrity of a forum on one post. The SimV forums is more than just this thread. And IMO, his comment was pretty mild and in a joking manner.
Fishbed7701
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby pete » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:47 am

Double J wrote:"I sware, they must of paid a whole room full of idiots & morons to sit around and just type that stuff up, to try to convience others this was the cat that ate the canary or something ! "

Sir, you obviously believe in a world where opinions are restricted. We don't.
Like in a restaurant, talk and opinionate all you like. Throw food or punches and you'll be asked to leave.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Cusance » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:53 am

pete wrote:

Like in a restaurant, talk and opinionate all you like. Throw food or punches and you'll be asked to leave.

nuff said :clap:
Cusance
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Steve M » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:48 pm

pete wrote:

Thank you Pete. That is exactly why I visit this forum.
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby cardinalbrian » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:04 pm

I may be entirely wrong, but.... I see very few remarks about CFS3 here... I think this was the segway from FS to Flight, at least conceptually. My impression of CFS3 was that a bunch of Xboxers got off on the wrong floor in Redmond. It was very glitzy, and while the planes were flyable, the tune of the "game" was using actual objects in something much closer to the XBox imaginative world of warriors approach. Thus, I felt it was an attempt to test the waters for using a sim based tool to open into the wider world of "entertainment" gamers. It failed, probably because a sim base just puts too many impediments to gameplaying in the way of happy entertainment. After Aces I think there was still a remnant of envy among at least some of the XBoxers for producing something that had a reality base that could be "played". But Flight proved the futility of that ambition. But we have Prepard3D now.. If they would only remove real world related transient data from the flight engine (originally integrated for performance reasons) so you could update aerodrome and approach information I think I'd feel we were in the right hands..
cardinalbrian
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Hawkeye07 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:04 pm

Fly2e wrote:If MS did want to start up the FS series again, they would have to build an entire new engine, correct? They sold the rights to Prepar.

Ah, there's the rub! If Microsoft was in any way, shape or form interested in continuing the Flt Sim species they wouldn't have sold anything to Lockheed/Martin who could have developed into a competitor. To my way of thinking that's probably the biggest indicator of Microsoft's future plans.

An Aircraft Mechanic only needs two tools, Duct Tape and WD40.
If it moves and it's not supposed to - use the Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - use the WD40.

Intel(R) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, P55M-UD4, GeForce GTX960 8.00 GB RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate (32 bit & 64 bit on separate HDs)
Hawkeye07
Major
Major

Postby Strategic Retreat » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:39 pm

Hawkeye07 wrote:Ah, there's the rub! If Microsoft was in any way, shape or form interested in continuing the Flt Sim species they wouldn't have sold anything to Lockheed/Martin who could have developed into a competitor. To my way of thinking that's probably the biggest indicator of Microsoft's future plans.

Lockheed Martin CANNOT develop the code bought from M$ into a game, though. You saw the conditions under which P3D 2.0 is sold? Use for entrainment is officially not allowed, only professional uses are consented.

M$ has seen FS as a game ever since having bought it and NEVER changed their minds. They DO NOT want to favor a potential competition in the games side of the market. Professional simulation though... they, rather unambitiously, NEVER saw themselves as being part this part of the market so Lockheed Martin can tranquilly go for it with THEIR code.

I KNOW there will be situations where people who buy P3D will use it as a game for entertainment. YOU KNOW there will be situations where people who buy P3D will use it as a game for entertainment. HE/SHE/IT KNOWS there will be situations where people who buy P3D will use it as a game for entertainment. WE KNOW there will be situations where people who buy P3D will use it as a game for entertainment. Even the people at Lockheed Martin KNOW there will be situations where people who buy P3D will use it as a game for entertainment.

Rather inevitable, really.

THEY, as M$, seem to be blissfully unaware that there will be situations where people who buy P3D will use it as a game for entertainment.

This from a company that put on the game market an UGLY thing like Flight... why am I not surprised?
There is no such a thing as overkill. Only unworthy targets.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby logjam » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:28 pm

Here’s my take:
In the beginning was the word.
And the word was with God who’s name was Harold.
Then the word became Bill and begat Flight Simulator II.
It became the standard performance test for X86 which followed the word for many years.
Now the Flight Simulator begat 3, then 4 and so on till it became 10 and was seen to be a standard unattainable by the sons of X86.
So the future became cloudy and God gave brightness to the forbidden fruit or Apple.
Now the forbidden fruit didn’t need a Flight Simulator to prove it was the best.
By now Bill had passed the “reigns” of power to a lesser believer, and Flight Simulator became no more.
In those days lived fallen angels such as Aces and Lockheed martin who had seen the Flight Simulator as a necessary device to develop the big con F35, which liked oodles of cash money from world-wide victims such as Canada and U.k. Therefore the F35 project saw fit to control the Flight Simulator, seeing that there were many willing to help develop at great expense to themselves.
There exists to this day, many of little faith that truly believe that Flight Simulator is a rejected son of the God. They see the future controlled by the great devil and forbidden fruit. The competition for the proverbial oodles of money being so fierce as to force the faithful flight simulator worshippers into a flat spin. The resultant end being by ever decreasing circles into a vanishing dark vortex.
:violin: :violin: :violin:
logjam
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:30 pm

.... :lol: ... :lol: ... :lol: ...!

Wonderful!.... :lol: ...!

Paul... :lol: ... :lol: ...!

Log...you are either very clever...or you copied that from somewhere!... ;) ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby logjam » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:04 pm

The big John 1 and 1
logjam
Major
Major

Postby Strategic Retreat » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:33 am

logjam wrote:Here’s my take:
In the beginning was the word.
And the word was with God who’s name was Harold.
Then the word became Bill and begat Flight Simulator II.
It became the standard performance test for X86 which followed the word for many years.
Now the Flight Simulator begat 3, then 4 and so on till it became 10 and was seen to be a standard unattainable by the sons of X86.
So the future became cloudy and God gave brightness to the forbidden fruit or Apple.
Now the forbidden fruit didn’t need a Flight Simulator to prove it was the best.
By now Bill had passed the “reigns” of power to a lesser believer, and Flight Simulator became no more.
In those days lived fallen angels such as Aces and Lockheed martin who had seen the Flight Simulator as a necessary device to develop the big con F35, which liked oodles of cash money from world-wide victims such as Canada and U.k. Therefore the F35 project saw fit to control the Flight Simulator, seeing that there were many willing to help develop at great expense to themselves.
There exists to this day, many of little faith that truly believe that Flight Simulator is a rejected son of the God. They see the future controlled by the great devil and forbidden fruit. The competition for the proverbial oodles of money being so fierce as to force the faithful flight simulator worshippers into a flat spin. The resultant end being by ever decreasing circles into a vanishing dark vortex.
:violin: :violin: :violin:

May I have your pusher's name and address? No worries. Not going to rat him to the police. Simply, after what you've written... I yearn to have a travel like that too. :D

What was it? LSD? Peyote? Datura? :mrgreen:
There is no such a thing as overkill. Only unworthy targets.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Previous

Return to Microsoft 'Flight'