There may still be a glimmer of hope for FS...

The latest and discontinued 'Flight' Game from Microsoft -

Re: There may still be a glimmer of hope for FS...

Postby F35LightningII » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:51 pm

Fly2e wrote:If MS did want to start up the FS series again, they would have to build an entire new engine, correct? They sold the rights to Prepar.

They could just use Flight's engine with some modifications.
F35LightningII
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Strategic Retreat » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:24 pm

F35LightningII wrote:They could just use Flight's engine with some modifications.

Forgive me. On what basis are you stating Flight's engine code was new and not instead (as logic DEMANDS) the last reworking of the code of FSX, itself a reworking of the code of FS9, itself a reworking of the code of FS2002, itself a reworking of the code of FS2K, itself a reworking of the code of FS98, itself a reworking of the code of FS95, itself a reworking of the code of FS5... and so on forever? :|

PS
First post on the new server. :D
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby striker » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:46 am

It would be nice if MS released the code as open source so some people could develop it and it would get some use. Instead it's probably consigned to the 'deleted' bin in the skies never to be seen again.

No! Wait! I remember MS DO NOT DO OPEN SOURCE

Imagine all that work that went into it!!

I still think it COULD have been good if it was released with a SDK so the genuine enthusiasts and not just the money makers could take it forward.
striker
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Strategic Retreat » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:41 pm

striker wrote:No! Wait! I remember MS DO NOT DO OPEN SOURCE

The sole thought would be SACRILEGE! BLASPHEMY! HERESY! :naughty:

The simple concocting THAT KIND of thought would be ground for being crucified and then having all your family members being burned at the stake. :character-oldtimer:

striker wrote:Imagine all that work that went into it!!

Yeah... all those times they had to stop playing golf for the sanctioned daily two hours of coding... ALL those sacrifices would be LOST. It would be so INTOLERABLE, the sole thought... there'd be only to kill yourself. :sad-roulette:

striker wrote:I still think it COULD have been good if it was released with a SDK so the genuine enthusiasts and not just the money makers could take it forward.

Had Flight being the hoped for success... I don't really think they would have even then. Welcome to M$, you new? :teasing-tease:

PS
I just LUVE the new smilies... and the amount of them too... really nice. :D
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby Steve M » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:18 pm

If there is one thing about software written in stone, is that nothing is written in stone. Software dealers have one asset bigger than bricks and stone, copywrites. Looking at FSX, MS sold the writes during a down stock market to make the Quarterly reports look better. It is not totally out of the question that they may sell the writes to Flight. Because history tells us that all empires eventually fall.
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby Double J » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:55 pm

Never say never..the Flight haters might be eating their words soon.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/410643-is- ... ?p=2692480
Double J
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby logjam » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:35 pm

MS operates the same way as all software giants today. They won't buy any ideas, but they'll pay you for them on salary. That is until you can't show anything new on the Friday meeting. Then it's bye bye, and Mr. genius finds a new job with the competition. Then of course we start the carousel again. The latest problem is that no-one has any new ideas that don't actually belong to someone else. Therefore they can't bring anything to market without the risk of being sued. Work it out!
logjam
Major
Major

Postby Double J » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:21 pm

Flight could become another open source free simulator. If MS isn't interested in selling the code they can't stop anyone from using it and giving stuff away. They never complained when people started repainting Flight planes.
Double J
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Jetranger » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:12 pm

What gets me when that Disasterous "FLIGHT" came out, was how many took to the forum boards and Blogs of many flight simulator web sites , and actually tried to Convience others / seasoned flight simmers - just how good it was, and how much better it was than previous versions of flight simulator.

I sware, they must of paid a whole room full of idiots & morons to sit around and just type that stuff up, to try to convience others this was the cat that ate the canary or something !

Gimme a break - no A.I. Traffic, NO other Airports, countries or states or cities or airports to fly to or land at, NO ATC , NO 3rd party add on's allowed - NO Ship or boat traffic,, Really Not much of anything -

Ohhhh, NO Virtual Cockpits worth a damn, and you had to pay for those aircraft,,, thru some goofy process using another 1/2 Assed process to use the stupid program,, windows live or something,,,,, WTF ????

FLIGHT = total Joke, waste of time and not worth all the Fake / phony advertising and Phony Promotion BS that was put into all the Fantasy HYPE put forth !

I'm still amazed at those who actually tried to defend that hunk of utter JUNK, that was released !

Simply Amazing !

Well, it provided for a good laugh, and provided us with whos Naïve & Clueless and those that evidently don't really take Flight Simulation seriously,, with all the Phony Hype !

Simply put, Previous version of Flight Simulator - Ex 2004 / FSX - and that JUNK called FLIGHT - Difference between Apples and Oranges !!!

But theres those who will still attempt to tell you, that having 4 Flat tires on your vehicle, its still OK, to take a 3000 mile trip on those tires !

Jetranger :):) !
<<t
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby logjam » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:41 pm

That's the beauty of the internet. No one knows how old you are or where you live either. That way you can say what you like and get away with it! :violin:
logjam
Major
Major

Postby Double J » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:25 pm

Jetranger wrote:What gets me when that Disasterous "FLIGHT" came out, was how many took to the forum boards and Blogs of many flight simulator web sites , and actually tried to Convience others / seasoned flight simmers - just how good it was, and how much better it was than previous versions of flight simulator.

I sware, they must of paid a whole room full of idiots & morons to sit around and just type that stuff up, to try to convience others this was the cat that ate the canary or something !

Gimme a break - no A.I. Traffic, NO other Airports, countries or states or cities or airports to fly to or land at, NO ATC , NO 3rd party add on's allowed - NO Ship or boat traffic,, Really Not much of anything -

Ohhhh, NO Virtual Cockpits worth a damn, and you had to pay for those aircraft,,, thru some goofy process using another 1/2 Assed process to use the stupid program,, windows live or something,,,,, WTF ????

FLIGHT = total Joke, waste of time and not worth all the Fake / phony advertising and Phony Promotion BS that was put into all the Fantasy HYPE put forth !

I'm still amazed at those who actually tried to defend that hunk of utter JUNK, that was released !

Simply Amazing !

Well, it provided for a good laugh, and provided us with whos Naïve & Clueless and those that evidently don't really take Flight Simulation seriously,, with all the Phony Hype !

Simply put, Previous version of Flight Simulator - Ex 2004 / FSX - and that JUNK called FLIGHT - Difference between Apples and Oranges !!!

But theres those who will still attempt to tell you, that having 4 Flat tires on your vehicle, its still OK, to take a 3000 mile trip on those tires !

Jetranger :):) !
<<t

@@@@***@@@ People with an actual PPL swear the flight model is better than much of FSX. But you fake desk pilots know better. It's funny you can still get support for Flight from MS but FSX was dumped last year.
Double J
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Fishbed7701 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:45 pm

@@@@***@@@ People with an actual PPL swear the flight model is better than much of FSX. But you fake desk pilots know better. It's funny you can still get support for Flight from MS but FSX was dumped last year.

Woah there, I don't think that's the way to go around here on these forums. I find that the way an airplane flies to a person is almost subjective, and even if Flight's model was better than FSX's, that's not really a huge thing. FSX has way more to offer than Flight does. That's just how it is.
Fishbed7701
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:16 am

Horses for courses!... :D ...!

In place if my regular FS 2004 and FSX, I often take to the skies in; "Flight"....

...and also "FS '98", "FS 2002", "Flight Unlimited II", "Pro Pilot '99", "Longbow 2"...and even "Gunship" on my 1982 Sinclair Spectrum 48k... :dance: ...!

I enjoy them all; for their historical place in time!

Fun Time!

Paul.... :mrgreen: ...!

P.S. "FS 2000" was a bit of a disappointment, but like "Pro Pilot '99" it did come with a really excellent, big flight manual book(s)* which I refer to every day for exceedingly useful information!... :D ...!

* the days when CD's and Floppy Disks came in big cardboard boxes, with lots of extra goodies inside!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby logjam » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:59 am

<<q I remember well how good it felt when I finally got my Hercules card working on my AT and saw how great FSII worked. <<u
logjam
Major
Major

PreviousNext

Return to Microsoft 'Flight'