This whole site is much too big with too many subforums

Have you any suggestions for additional forums or improvements?

This whole site is much too big with too many subforums

Postby Scatterbrain Kid » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:09 pm

None of my business but this whole site is too big and sprawling with too many confusing subforums and could do with a bit of streamlining.
For a start there are 2 general computer gaming subforums (The Cage and Comp Games+Software) but one would do, and the FS98,FS2000 and FS2002 subforums are hardly used and could be shut down.
I was Admin/Mod/2nd in command at the Few Good Men gaming/military history club for a few years (screenname Poor Old Spike) and was easily able to run the place singlehanded while the Big Boss was at work or down the pub because it was beautifully streamlined..:)
I'd be happy to help with more suggestions if Simviation Admin cares to PM me.
Last edited by pete on Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PLEASE STOP LINKING IMAGES, IT SLOWS THE FORUMS DOWN FOR OTHER USERS!!!!
Scatterbrain Kid
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: This whole site is much too big with too many subforums

Postby pete » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:58 am

You're talking about the forums - not the site (the forums are a little side kick to simviation and seem to be used by a lot of non simviation users)

However I don't see your 2 particular points really -- the cage is a screenshot/screenart forum ... games is for discussion
Last edited by pete on Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Scatterbrain Kid » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:44 pm

Who said this to me?-

PLEASE STOP LINKING IMAGES, IT SLOWS THE FORUMS DOWN FOR OTHER USERS

Nobody has ever said that to me before in any of the web forums I'm a member of, in fact they call me "the screenshot king" and give me awards and stuff and tell me i can date their sisters!
If the Simviation forum software can't handle my sensational images it's not my problem, I don't like the restrictive size limits here anyway, did they restrict Michelangelo when he painted the Sistine Chapel ceiling? Nah!
I also don't like the small 'dark grey on light grey' text fonts here which are hard to read, I PM'd a mod asking for advice about it last week but he never replied.
And my avatar has mysteriously vanished!
Okay I know when i'm not wanted, I'm logging outta here, there are plenty more sim and gaming websites around where i can strut my stuff..;)
Last edited by Scatterbrain Kid on Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PLEASE STOP LINKING IMAGES, IT SLOWS THE FORUMS DOWN FOR OTHER USERS!!!!
Scatterbrain Kid
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby todayshorse » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:32 am

Pity, i would have liked to see some of your screenshot king sensational award winning sister dating stuff strutting unrestricted Michelangelo screenshots.

Michelangelo was restricted, the ceiling of the Sistine chapel was 1,100 m2 (12,000 sq ft), not quite 1024 pixels, but the fact remains...and on the altar wall of the Sistine Chapel he had only 1370 cm
Last edited by todayshorse on Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
todayshorse
Major
Major

Postby Jetranger » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:03 am

Ohhhh Geeeshhh, would anyone like some "Whine" with the Cheese !!!Image
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:33 am

One of the delights of the Simviation storage system is that all the Screen shots, Photos, Pictures etc, are stored "on Site", for simple, easy access.
Pictures stored on external Sites can often lead to "Dead Links" if the pictures are subsequently removed or altered by the author.

Paul.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pete » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:08 am

Pictures stored on external sites ALWAYS lead to dead links -- this is the reason we ask users to upload here.
Last edited by pete on Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby jetprop » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:50 am

I tought links didn't slow the server down...I tought we decided on that ages ago?
jetprop
Major
Major

Postby pete » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:31 pm

I tought links didn't slow the server down...I tought we decided on that ages ago?

They don't  .. necessarily .. ( it depends on the response of the image hosting server) ... but the reason is -- as Fozzer said -- to avoid dead links as time goes by. (I don't know who sent him that message)
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ozzy72 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:11 pm

Probably the same mod that has been continually removing all his linked images from his signature/avatar/posts as they've been slowing down his internet connection as some of the early ones were rather bandwidth intensive but he refused to listen and expects us to let him do whatever he wants with no respect for Pete or any other users of this site.
Come in here and start kicking off and you'll soon find a boot from a different foot helping you to the door.
Last edited by ozzy72 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby pete » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:59 pm

Scatterbrain kid you are very welcome here .. your suggestions are also welcome and I'm sorry you seemed to have received a negative response from someone. That response is not representative of this site.
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Club508 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:19 pm

okay, i think I missed out on something here...  But anyways, as far as moving stuff, these are the only suggestions I have.

Create a new section called Other.
Then move the following into it:
Sport
Autos
History

Move Adding Aircraft Traffic (AI) and Gates to the Design Forums.

The above just don't seem to make sense where they currently are to me.  But all in all, other than MAYBE merging all the Old Flight Simulators into one topic and merging all the Combat Flight Simulators into another just to save space, I think the organization should stay just the way it is. :)
Though I will admit, some possible color schemes the user could pick instead of just gray might be nice.
Club508
Major
Major

Return to Suggestions for these forums