The poor mans sim pit

Graphics Cards, Sound Cards, Joysticks, Computers, etc. Ask or advise here!

Re: The poor mans sim pit

Postby Bass » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:44 am

Then again.
How about the banjo >:( ;D
"Just try to be YOU"!............ Kurt 

System. GA-X58A-UD3R, i7-950QC, Corsair XMS3 18GB 2000, GTX 780 tf 3GB, Corsair CMPSU-850, 24 BenQ 120, TM Hotas cougar, win7 pro.
Bass
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:30 pm

Then again.
How about the banjo >:( ;D

My Banjo playing attracts Hill-Billy loose women... ;)... ;)...!

Paul... ;D... ;D...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Re: First step to The poor mans sim pit

Postby OldAirmail » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:33 pm

Glad it's working out for you. Theres one thing I've always noticed about FS tweaks that people recommend. What works for them, does not always work for everyone else.

There are more FS tweak recommendations and GPU settings, and ENB ini file recommendations out there than you could shake a stick at.

Thanks for sharing your setup with us.

And from what I read, many are either questionable or better left alone.

What I like about the Mathijs posting is that ALL modifications are done from within FSX: Options>Settings>Display. At worst, you can hit the [Reset Defaults] button. As I said,
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby pegger » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:39 pm

What has worked 100% reliably for me since the release of FSX, is to avoid the tweaking. The sliders in game are the best starting point to figure out what your computer can actually handle efficiently. I run very high settings on all, with a quad core AMD and 4 GB of ramm, with a 1GB video card.

I've discussed this issue with others in different forums too. I have an opinion (and it is purely my own, based on no independant testing or otherwise) that the biggest problems with FSX are caused by the constant manipulation that occures when too many addons are added, and too many tweaks are invoked, and they all start to fight for the limited resouces that FSX is able to call on. We all know that FSX is highly dependant on the CPU, and some manipulation of multicores can help to a point, but I tend to believe that this also becomes a choke point when trying to induce too much out of FSX with too many addons. Memory issues abound because of the 32 bit nature of FSX. And as you've noticed, the biggest baddest GPU or SLI combination may not actually result in a drastic performance increase for FSX. I also believe that a lack of standard file formatting between addons causes problems.

Thus what works for me, is to steer clear of all these bells and wistles, and leave my expectations for FSX as they are. The graphics are tolerable. I can see trees. They may not be the best 3D trees I've seen, but I can sure tell they are trees and I should avoid having them directly infront of my graphical display. I can see runways. They may not be the best hi-def runway textures I have ever seen, but I know that I can land and take off there.

So in summary, my personal preference is not about the many (and some very expensive) graphical enhancments available for FSX. I do use the CH products yoke, TQ, and peddals, which is about as high a sense of realism that I am willing to pay for. With these control peripherals, and the countless buttons and switches, it allows me to practice flying as best as possible from the comfort of my basement. It makes FSX a reasonably decent systems and proceedures simulator.  EDIT: By not making myself reliant on the GEX and the REX and the UTX and the NGX and the whateverX addons out there, I find that my eXpectations are well within the intended purposes that microsoft released FSX on. An application of the K.I.S.S. principle?

Computer specs wise, I was aware of what could adequately handle FSX and purchased my last computer with this in mind. However, like the OP, my computer has more primary purposes, and FSX is allowed to run so long as it behaves itself, which it has done so for 6 or 7 years now. :)
Last edited by pegger on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pegger
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby FoMoCo63 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:57 pm

The Ultimate in a Poor Mans Sim I got it right here. A Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick. If you looking or waiting for whatever else there might be, there isn't any.
FoMoCo63
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:02 pm

As I get older my options are getting limited. What I can do is enjoy the world vicariously through reading, and every now and then I take a flight to where I’ve been, or where I would like to go.

I use my desk for too many things for it to be just a “sim pit”. So what I can do to make “flying” more enjoyable to myself, without completely taking over the desk, I try to do.

MY SIM PIT
When it’s not set up to “fly”, my desk is set up in a small corner like this –

* The desk itself is a 2 1/2’ X 4’ office table that I bought at an office furniture auction back in the mid ‘90s for $10 (they had a lot of the same type of industrial tables left over after the auction. When I asked how much he wanted for one the guy just said, “ make an offer”).
* The throttle is pushed off to the side.
* The yoke is removed and placed under an old stereo stand that now acts as a footrest and a printer stand.
* The 2 little USB monitors are kept in a nearby bookcase.
* There are 3 monitors, 2 matching but bought years apart. The wife’s old screen isn’t all that good, but it does work.
* The monitors sit on a self-made shelf to bring them up to eye level. Take two 1 ½ deep particleboard shelving (the type that has a veneer covering the flats and edges). One shelf will be cut to make supports for the top board.

I built this back in the late ‘90s and have always used it as a regular desk. Total cost, with the boards, was about $20.
Last edited by OldAirmail on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:08 pm

The Ultimate in a Poor Mans Sim I got it right here. A Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick. If you looking or waiting for whatever else there might be, there isn't any.

A Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick!!!

My first joystick was never so grand.

But just wait. As you get older you'll start wanting much more. Like a footrest.  ;D
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:15 pm

The Ultimate in a Poor Mans ...

You just reminded me of an actual "Ultimate in a Poor Mans ...)

I was waiting at a traffic light and looked off to the right. A homeless man had placed a tent against a street light pole. He had taken the cover off the pole near the base and was tapping the electric power to run his laptop.

I would have to say that the term "poor man" is relative. Shoes for a man who has no food is a luxury.
Last edited by OldAirmail on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby FoMoCo63 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:29 pm

If it is one thing I have learned through out the years with microsoft flight simulator series, and the 4 of 5 joysticks I've had to purchase because the old ones just gave out, is that nothing lasts forever.

A foot stool would be nice, I,m ready to go to the Lazy Boy.

FoMoCo63
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:30 pm

I'm sorry that I didn't pay proper attention to your posting!

You're saying that someone stole your computer!!!!

I've got an old computer case in the shed that you can have.

If we all chip in I bet that we can get you up and running in just a few days. HANG IN THERE, BUDDY, WE'LL ALL LEND A HAND. :)
Last edited by OldAirmail on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby FoMoCo63 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:37 pm

Thanks, that post just made my day there, I laughed real good on that one. Yes I do have a PC as well, I thought that might of been a given here.
FoMoCo63
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Bass » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:59 am

Now we are getting somewhere...
When buying new stuff, why not send the old to some who needs it!?
By selling it, you wont get much, but if making another happy and that person pays for the sending, everyone is happy!
I know, it must be on a new thread...
Just a thought 8-)
"Just try to be YOU"!............ Kurt 

System. GA-X58A-UD3R, i7-950QC, Corsair XMS3 18GB 2000, GTX 780 tf 3GB, Corsair CMPSU-850, 24 BenQ 120, TM Hotas cougar, win7 pro.
Bass
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:16 am

Thanks, that post just made my day there, I laughed real good on that one. Yes I do have a PC as well, I thought that might of been a given here.

That, or you were a man with an extremly good emagination.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Joysticks

Postby OldAirmail » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:29 am

FoMoCo63 mentioned that he
Last edited by OldAirmail on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:43 am

Now we are getting somewhere...
When buying new stuff, why not send the old to some who needs it!?
By selling it, you wont get much, but if making another happy and that person pays for the sending, everyone is happy!
I know, it must be on a new thread...
Just a thought 8-)

A very strange story.

Over the last 20+ years I've upgraded my "computer" by replacing components (mostly) in the same case.

Last year I tried giving away some memory sticks that I've accumulated. ONLY one person accepted the offer!

I guess that it's like the old joke about the guy who put a refrigerator on his lawn with a sign saying FREE Refrigerator!

No one took it.

He then put a new sign on it saying Refrigerator $75.00!

It was gone the next morning.
Last edited by OldAirmail on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware