The poor mans sim pit

Graphics Cards, Sound Cards, Joysticks, Computers, etc. Ask or advise here!

Re: The poor mans sim pit

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:22 pm

This is an update on a previous posting.

I've mentioned that, although I really like the Saitek Instrument Panel, I consider it too expensive for me. On the other hand I couldn't stop myself from buy one. :D

Another thing that I disliked was how small and plain the 2 knobs on the bottom/center are.

My solution was to cut 2 (replacement) white pencil erasers off and use a permanent marker to color all but a "line/strip" black. This made it look as if the knobs had a dial marker on them, as well as giving them a better feel.

But after a bit of use the white stripe started to become discolored. I guess that the " permanent" marker wasn't all that permanent, was it.

What I did to fix it was to buy a white DecoColor acrylic paint pen and actually paint the stripe back onto the eraser. Now it's stands out better than before.

(I know it's crooked, but I have no artistic abilities, and it looks fine when it's on the knobs.)

What I like best about this acrylic paint pen is that the point is a chisel point so you can make either narrow or wide marks.
(This color shows the point much better than the white tip would have.)
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:07 pm

Acoustics

This is only for those who need to replace their speakers.

One of my speakers stopped working. Considering that they were over 12-13 years old this wasn't very surprising. So it was off to Amazon.

What I found is not the best speaker set in the whole world. In fact the "best" doesn't exist because you'll never find enough people to agree on ONE speaker system. Yes, of course there are many good ones, and some that are great. But "good", to me, means one that it suits me.

And what I chose didn't really suit me in some ways, but I am extremely happy with it. Why? Read on.

The one I chose is the "Cyber Acoustics Subwoofer Satellite System (CA-3602a)" for $38.98.

What I don't like about it, is the base speaker. It's more like a mid range speaker. It just doesn't have much oomph to it. As it turned out that wasn't much of a problem.

In my old speaker system the base unit was powered, so I just added it to the main speaker jack with a "Y" connector. I won’t get into details, but if you use a "Y" connector the output of the speakers is halved so you need to have an amplifier on each side of the "Y".

So that gives me a really good sound system. But that’s not why I’m so happy.

THIS is why I'm so happy with this speaker system.

This is a remote on/off, volume control, and base volume controller. It also has an AUX input and a headphone jack output.

With a little Velcro you can put it just about anywhere you want and put your speakers out of the way!.

The end result is a neat, clean desktop.

End note - When I crank up the volume on both base speakers my desk WILL vibrate. Flying a 4 engine WW2 bomber has never felt so good! :lol:
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Fri May 03, 2013 10:09 pm

:dance: HAPPY FEET :dance:

No. Not that stupid anthropomorphic dancing penguin poop.

Rudder pedals!

That's what I'm talking about.

Last summer when I was at the Air Mobility Command Museum in Dover Delaware I took my turn in line (a very short line actually) for a chance to fly inside the cockpit of a real C-47. Well.... the separated cockpit of a real C-47 anyway. And the "flying" was via, I'm guessing here, FS2004.

I think that, more than anything else, I was just happy to be in the C-47 cockpit. :D

And this is where I was first introduced to flight sim rudder pedals. As some of you know I use the Ch Products Eclipse yoke. This yoke incorporates rudder "paddles" to work the rudder. You can get used to it very easily.

I only mentioned that because, until then, I felt no need for rudder pedals that you work with your feet. And let that be a warning to you! Even if all you do is just TRY rudder pedals on a Sim, you will want some for your own. Sad, but true. :cry:

There are some who will tell you that you really should get THE BEST. And I agree. Can one of those people loan me the money? No? Then I'll just have to get what I can afford.

Here's a question for you. How many of you want to spend $550 for the Cirrus Rudder Pedal Set? I'm sure that they must be good. But... $550?

I'm also sure that there are rudder peddles that cost more, but for me it boiled down to the choice between CH Products $93.24

or the one Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals $93.99.

I went with the basic Saitek, although the CH rudder pedals were very good when I tried them. So what made the Saitek the better choice? It looks cool. That's all there was to it.

The adjustable knob in the center? It doesn't really make any difference. You'll adjust it once and never do it again. But what are you comparing that adjustment to???

BTW - they now ship with a smooth heel rest.
This lets you slide your foot forwards and back as you would do in real life.

While I'm on that, let me redirect you here.

"Initially, the pilot should taxi with the heels of the feet resting on the cockpit floor and the balls of the feet on the bottom of the rudder pedals (Fig. 5-3). The feet should be slid up onto the brake pedals only when it is necessary to depress the brakes."

Many people complain about how either brand will slip around on the floor whether it's carpeted or not. They then come up with good, or bad, ways to keep them from moving around when you use them.

Me? K.I.S.S.! I took some rubberized fabric and used electrical tape to hold it to the bottom of the rudder pedal base. Almost a year later and it still works, so I haven't made any changes. And I move mine around every time I want to fly because I only have one desk that I use for everything.

The rubber mesh mat that I taped to the bottom is still in place. It's not pretty, but guess what? It's under the table and I can't see it anyway.
Image Size 13 EE

Now I can get to the "Happy Feet" part.

Like everything else it takes some getting used to. One day, last winter, as I was coming in for a landing I suddenly realized that I was no longer thinking of using the rudder pedals! It was as natural as can be.

One more parting picture.

And one last comment - The rudder pedals and ailerons are preset in FSX to work together. You need to un-link them.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Fri May 03, 2013 10:22 pm

Reality check here.

Some have complained that the CH pedals are to close together.

Really?

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Sat May 11, 2013 12:48 am

Catalyst Control Center
For the Eyefinity series video cards.

This’ll be a short one, just to give you an idea of some of the settings that can make things interesting.

This is NOT a tutorial.

Aside from the capability to operate up to 3 monitors right out of the box, there are 2 major features of CCC (Catalyst Control Center) that I use. In all probability other video cards that support multiple monitors will do the same thing too. But this is what I have, and so this is what I can comment on.

In day to day use I only operate 2 (main) monitors (center & right). The one on the far left is, normally, only used for my flight sim. But there are times when I want to use it as a “regular” monitor.

This image covers 2 of my screens. A 3 screen shot would have to be so shrunken down so small as to be almost useless.

Can you see the "start" button in the bottom left corner? That's the kind of problem I'll have in showing the full flight sim setup, so I'll mainly stick to the 2 screen shots with cut outs to show the details.

When you see this, remember - these are (relatively) cheap, but fast cards. These are not $1,000+ cards!

I have different needs at different times. With multiple monitors and CCC I can switch between the monitors using a few hot keys. These are called "Presets".

First you set up your monitor configuration the way that you want it and give it a name. Now click "Add Preset...". Next choose your hot key modifier (Ctrl+Alt etc). Lastly choose the key/letter/number that you want to use in switching your setup.

My names should be self explanatory - with one exception; "Standard 3 Screens" means just that. Three screens that are side by side. "Flight Sim 3 Screens" means 3 monitors set up as a single screen. Ignore " Tripple Screen", that's a variation that I'm playing with.

In short: with the press of a few keys, I can rearrange my monitors to be the way that I want them.

The last setting is about the way that 2 monitors, side by side, display the image. In "standard", side by side, mode the image on both sides of the bezel are separate. In a flight sim (or any kind of game) you want the bezel to act as if it's just a frame placed over the image. In other words, you want it to look like the bezel is simply blocking your view. This adds more realism. Just like a part of the window frame is being blocking the view outside.

In CCC there is an adjustment for you to do just that.

I'll add more info in the next day or so.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Sat May 11, 2013 8:58 am

Aligning the image.

When you have 2 or more screens acting as a single monitor you run into this kind of a problem.

When what you want to see it this.

The alignment of the bezel is accomplished by simply clicking on the arrows until you have a continuous "line".

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Sat May 11, 2013 9:56 am

What you need.

FENCES

By holding down CTRL and Shift together and pressing the number 1 my desktop condenses to a single monitor. Fine

By holding down CTRL and Shift together and pressing the number 2 my desktop fills 2 single (extended) monitors. Fine

By holding down CTRL and Shift together and pressing the number 3 my desktop fills 3 single (extended) monitors. Fine

By holding down CTRL and ALT together and pressing the number 3 my desktop fills 3 monitors as a continuous screen for flying. Fine

So what's the problem?

Icons, that's the problem. They go all over the place when your "desktop" changes size and shape. It really gets ugly. VERY ugly.

What you need is a way to corral all of those wayward icons. And that's where StarDocks’ Fences come in.

For each screen/desktop setup you'll need to arrange the Fences that you've already created, and place them in the "new" screens. Use Fences to save the layout with a name that makes sense to you so that you can restore it after switching to the new monitor setup.

If you have a single monitor Fences in nice. Even useful. If you have 2 monitors Fences is VERY useful. And if you change your monitor setup often then Fences is absolutely essential. Use the free version, or buy the full version. It really is good.

Yes. It does take a little work on your part to make the world behave the way that you want it. But it's well worth it IM(not so :D )HO.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby pete » Sat May 11, 2013 1:58 pm

Great info!
I always wondered how you lined up 2 screens.

Really great project! 8-)
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby OldAirmail » Sat May 11, 2013 3:06 pm

Thanks, Pete. I was starting to get lonely on this thread.

Aligning the pictures works out great.

My Bezels aren’t all that thick, but I have them somewhat overlapping each other to make the bezel width appear smaller than is.

What this does, though, is to place the physical monitors on each side further back from MY VIEWPOINT. So what I’m doing isn’t just adjusting the bezel for the 2 monitors side by side, but adjusting the picture to accommodate the forward/back positioning AND the bezel space.

I bought the AMD Radeon HD series because it was pretty inexpensive compared to getting a real fast video card AND THEN spending $200-$400 for Triplehead 2 go.

I don't think/remember if the first AMD-Radeon HD series cards had the ability to align the pictures onscreen. But by now, I'm sure that everyone making such a card must be able to do it.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Sun May 19, 2013 7:03 pm

Vacation's over.
Now Ain't That A Kick In The Butt!

The ButtKicker.

Before starting, let me say that this is made far better than what I was expecting. I was very impressed.

The ButtKicker comes with everything needed to set up your computer and to enhance your movie, music, or game playing experience.
(If you wanted it for a home theater you would need to make some extensions, but everyone’s needs would be different, so we can't complain about that.)

Frankly, if it weren't for the first two, the movie and music experience, I'd have sent it back.

Regarding the game playing experience, I have my reservations. But that has more to do with the 2 flight sims that I have; FSX and X-Plane 10.

My setup is like the first picture. It only takes a couple of minutes to clamp it to a swivel office chair.

And, in less than an hour, you should be able to track down most, if not all, of the annoying buzzes and rattles made by loose chair parts.

Anyone who wants to get one of these is also going to set it up as soon as they can unbox it. I was that way too, a little kid on Christmas morning.

The best way to set it up, though, is in the middle of the room, and attach an MP3 player to it so you can track down the rattles that your chair will make. It will get bad. I even ended up removing a few of the chair parts.

Movies.
This will add to some movies. Mainly the action types with lots of explosions, heavy collisions, etcetera. Even Jurassic Park was good with the ButtKicker. But I doubt that hockey or soccer, no mater how much action there is, would produce enough to activate the ButKicker. Ditto professional wrestling.

Older movies will produce much less response than a newer, digitally mastered, sound track. The cannon fire in an old black and white movie will go unnoticed. A shotgun blast in a newer movie will be felt. This point will be relevant later.

Music
Whatever type of music you listen to will probably benefit. Classical music like the Blue Danube, among many others, works great with the ButtKicker. Modern music with the all encompassing heavy beat should work.

Games
So long as a game isn't dominated by heavy music with a persistent bass beat it should do very well. I had to download a free racing game to test it out, and you do get the appropriate bumps and thumps.

Flight Sims
FSX is like that old black and white movie I was talking about - it wasn't made with a deep audio spectrum in mind. Another problem is with the sounds that you should, or shouldn't, hear.

Sounds & effects
1) A jet engine will whine its' way up to full speed. You arn't going to hear any rumble unless it's in the process of destroying itself.
2) A prop plane may have some uneven rumble when its starting up, but the faster it spins the smoother it'll get.
3) Radial engines workout the best. A large 4 engine WWII bomber can sound/feel GREAT! But some don't even register with the ButtKicker.
4) Landing gear down & locked? It would be nice to "feel" a confirmation thump when that happens on the smaller planes. Nothing.
5) Landing. This is one area where the ButtKicker could really come in handy. But it doesn't. When you hit the ground you hear a slight screech of the tires, but that's all. No impact thump is felt.
6) Any rolling rumble all to often gets mixed with the engine noise.

I'm not saying that there aren’t any effects when flying. The primary effect in most planes, however, is a butt buzzing.

Possibly because it's still under development, X-Plane 10 worked with the ButtKicker better than FSX. Though just like the planes in FSX, it's not consistent across all airplanes.

And therein lies a minor problem. Depending on the plane that your flying you'll need to adjust the settings. The (wired) remote only lets you turn the ButtKicker on or off, and adjust the volume up or down.

But the other settings may be way out of whack when switching from one plane to another. Not a big problem. More of an annoyance. But that's a problem caused by whoever assigned the sound to the plane, and the quality of that sound. Not the ButtKicker.

In the end, I kept it because it works with some movies and some music. It is only somewhat useful in FSX & X-Plane 10. My 2 powered subwoofers work better at conveying the throb of engines, and the other deep sounds of the aircraft that I fly.

I would not recommend it just for a flight sim.

But different people have different needs and experiences. No two people will look at the same thing in the same way. Here's another review;
Mutley's Hanger ButtKicker Gamer 2
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Romflyer » Wed May 22, 2013 10:47 am

Well I have to say I have really been enjoying reading all your posts ways to make your simming experience more enjoyable, please keep them coming ......I am a bit surprised by your impressions about the buttkicker, everything I have read about it and every review I have read (except yours ;) ) said that this thing completely transformed the immersion level of their simming <<s and that once you have this device that you just can't go back to simming without it.....much like your first joystick, or trackir.
A product that I have always felt belongs side by side with the buttkicker is this http://secure.simmarket.com/a2a-simulat ... ment.phtml
perhaps it would help you get a little more definition out of your buttkicker.
Cheers
Romflyer
Romflyer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby JBaymore » Thu May 23, 2013 10:27 pm

OldAirmail wrote:I would not recommend it just for a flight sim.

While I use a different brand of transducer in the seat of my simpit, I find a VERY different impression of its usefulness in the realism department. It adds and amazing little extra to things. http://forums.simviation.com/cgi-bin/ya ... 1177617086

But I have audio fuiles that have been enhansed speciofically with sub-sonics to create effects on the transducers.... plis stuff like the centerline light effects in the Areosoft AES payware.

When I start the APU... I have it programmes so that the is the FAINTEST little "hum" evident thru the seat. Each engine ass a little more. The big feelings are the nose gear coming up into place (and some lesser on deploying) and the vibrations that the flaps create as they are extended or the speedbrakes deployed.

And the ONLY th ing that are used on is in the simpit. So.... to each his/ her own.

Nice thoughts in this thread OldAirmail... and it ALL relates pretty directly to a lot of stuff over in the Homebuild Cockpits section. We are not pursuing things too far apart. Yeah... sonme builders are out into the stratosphere with the cost and realism... but many of us pit builders are watching every penny too.

best,

.......................john
JBaymore
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby OldAirmail » Fri May 24, 2013 9:43 pm

I was working on this before Jbaymore’s reply, so I’ll leave it pretty much as it is.

Thanks for the reply, Romflyer. I don't get enough people chiming in.

Could it be that I'm ALWAYS right? :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

I do have ACCU-FEEL Ver 2. In fact I'll get to it after this reply.

Lets go back to my analogy about old movies and their sound quality.

I was watching an old movie about the battle of Waterloo. Thundering hooves, canon fire, all that good stuff. But the cannon fire, although it had VOLUME, didn't have much in the way of depth.

Try shouting BOOM as loud as you can. Volume, but no depth. On the other hand I worked at a place where, among much else, they made the nose shield for Titan rockets. When they formed it, the sound was loud enough. But the sound..... I can only describe it as a concussion. It didn't really hurt your ears but the sound waves shook up everything in your body. Amazing.

Something else to remember - a lot of the old film movies had the sound recorded on the film it's self!

So the ButtKicker had nothing to work with. It needs the low frequencies. If it used the upper low range (if that makes sense) then it would start rumbling whenever someone with a slightly deep voice spoke.

Another aspect to consider is the speakers that were built into the old TVs. Three inch? Four inch? Didn't matter much, they were all in mono back in the good old days.

Newer movies where the sound was recorded separate from the physical film have the greater depth. Anything recorded using the Dolby Laboratories system will sound great on the ButtKicker.

And that, in a nutshell, is why I said that Jurassic Park was good with the ButtKicker. It has the depth that the old movies don't have.

FSX, and the flight sims before that, was created with a couple of handicaps.

At the time that it came out, hard drives were smaller and more expensive. Sound, like anything else takes up hard disk space. And I suppose that at the time, FSX was considered a "large" program.

And just who (at the time that it came out) will have a surround sound Dolby card? They probably didn't exist, or weren't affordable for most people.

You DON'T want to know what I paid for my Creative Labs Sound Blaster card. Back then sound cards were an option! OK, OK. It was a very long time ago.

I'm going to start referring to the ButtKicker as the BK from here on out.

I think that all of this is why the sounds that come with most FSX planes, and the sims before it, have no depth, or any real bass at all.

In FSX the Boeing B17-G Flying Fortress and the Boeing RB-50F Superfortress will give you a good effect with the BK, but only if you turn the BK ALL the way up. And at that point you get a buzz even if you hit the mute key so that NO sound is being sent to the BK.

Most helicopters in FSX provide little or nothing for the BK.

The De Havilland DHC-5 Buffalo is very good. The De Havilland DHC3 does very very little for the BK. The Douglas A-1H on the other hand is VERY good.

I have an Ilyushin IL-18 and a Lockheed L-10E Electra that work absolutely GREAT with the BK.

Unfortunately, for most planes you have to crank up the BKs’ power to the point that it buzzes. And jets by their very nature have nothing to give to the BK.

Over all, the X-Plane 10 planes have slightly better bass for the BK. But the few X-Plane enthusiast created planes that I've tried probably borrowed the sounds from FSX. Little deep bass.

So if you don't listen to music or watch newer movies, I can't give the ButtKicker a big thumbs up for FSX.

But I'm quite willing to bet that any fighter pilot games would do very well with the ButtKicker. The BK and a force feedback joystick really would be a great combination!

".....I am a bit surprised by your impressions about the buttkicker, everything I have read about it and every review I have read (except yours ;) )..."

I read all of that too. That's why I put the link to Mutley's Hanger ButtKicker review in at the end. We all have different likes and dislikes and I wanted to present a differing view.

Thanks again for commenting.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Fri May 24, 2013 10:19 pm

JBaymore wrote:
OldAirmail wrote:I would not recommend it just for a flight sim.

While I use a different brand of transducer in the seat of my simpit, I find a VERY different impression of its usefulness in the realism department. It adds and amazing little extra to things. http://forums.simviation.com/cgi-bin/ya ... 1177617086

"But I have audio fuiles that have been enhansed speciofically with sub-sonics to create effects on the transducers.... plis stuff like the centerline light effects in the Areosoft AES payware.

When I start the APU... I have it programmes so that the is the FAINTEST little "hum" evident thru the seat.[/i] Each engine ass a little more. The big feelings are the nose gear coming up into place (and some lesser on deploying) and the vibrations that the flaps create as they are extended or the speedbrakes deployed.

And the ONLY th ing that are used on is in the simpit. So.... to each his/ her own.

Nice thoughts in this thread OldAirmail... and it ALL relates pretty directly to a lot of stuff over in the Homebuild Cockpits section. We are not pursuing things too far apart. Yeah... sonme builders are out into the stratosphere with the cost and realism... but many of us pit builders are watching every penny too.

best,

.......................john

Some of what you mention is already in my reply to Romflyer. And thanks for your reply too. I find your solution very interesting.

"But I have audio fuiles that have been enhansed speciofically with sub-sonics to create effects on the transducers..."

As I mentioned the sound effects that come with FSX don't have much in the way of deep bass. How did you enhance the sub-sonics for the planes that you fly???

"When I start the APU... I have it programmes so that the is the FAINTEST little "hum" evident thru the seat.

With the ButtKicker I have to set the BKs' volume well above "the FAINTEST little "hum""" when using FSX. For music & movies I can turn it down to a point where I can just notice it.

Unfortunately I have that hum even when I hit the mute button. And if I increase the ButtKicker volume to the point the FSX planes produce the desired effect then the BK is producing a heavy buzz.

Compare this to the DC-3 in FSX on your system. THIS works incredibly well with the BK. Let me know if your setup can make the DC-3 (in FSX) sound/feel close to this YouTube video.

I have a hunch that your setup, along with the enhanced sound files, might be what I was looking for in the ButtKicker.

How did you enhance your sound files???
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Sat May 25, 2013 9:04 am

Romflyer wrote:....

A product that I have always felt belongs side by side with the buttkicker is this http://secure.simmarket.com/a2a-simulat ... ment.phtml

Romflyer

Great minds think alike. :D

This is one of only 2 FSX enhancers that I've bought.

I'm sure that there are a ton of good FSX enhancers (as opposed to add-on aircraft), but I don't know what they are.

And some may complicate/compromise FSX beyond reason. I've seen thread after thread where someone seeks help to recover from mysterious errors only to find that they have so many add-ons that it's hard to find the one that's causing all the trouble.

From the manual;
"The vision behind Accu-Feel is to improve the flight experience automatically yet give you, the customer, the final say on everything. You don't want to be bothered with micro-managing files, dealing with software troubles, or doing anything other than having a great simulation experience."

and

"What is Accu-Feel?
Accu-Feel is a program written for FSX that uses additional physics and sound to elevate almost your entire aircraft collection*, both default and 3rd party. It works at the core of FSX, and therefore does not make any changes to any of your aircraft files (for example, downloaded aircraft paints won't be touched). In fact, we don't need to edit or change a single file in your entire FSX install directory. We instead “read” the aircraft that is loaded, analyze it, then automatically create a custom physics and sound profile that is saved outside FSX.

There can't be a better statement of intentions, AND actions!

Remember the line "We instead “read” the aircraft that is loaded, analyze it, then automatically create a custom physics and sound profile..."?

All you need to do is select the plane that you want to fly, and do it. Tinkering with the sounds is simplicity its self even if you feel the need to! Just go to [Add-ons] and select [Accu-Feel Setup]. What will popup is the Accu-Feel setup for THAT airplane.

Don't like the changes? Not a problem. Want to see what difference Accu-Feel Makes? One click to switch it on or off in mid flight. Simple!

There is only one down side for A2As' Accu-Feel. Although it enhances the flight experience quite a bit, it does so in subtle ways. And after a while you forget all about what it was to fly without it! So instead of telling everyone how great it is, you just keep on flying happily along, while others loose out on the subtle, but significant, pleasures of flying.

This is one of those things that is well worth buying. The price is only $20 / EUR 17.84, GET IT. You won’t regret it. Especially as it appears to have no noticeable slow down of the flight simulator.

If you have an older version of Accu-Feel you can upgrade it to V2 for only $5 / EUR 4.75.

For a better review of Accu-Feel let me send you back to Mutley's Hangar - Accu-Feel: Global FSX Enhancement

PS - JBaymore uses enhanced aircraft sounds with his ButtKicker type system. To some degree Accu-Feel can help the ButtKicker, but not as well as his setup.

PS (2) – Anyone out there with a recommendation for a GREAT flight enhancer? Preferably, one that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg? I’m especially interested in low cost scenery that will be world wide in scope as opposed to region by region.
Last edited by OldAirmail on Sat May 25, 2013 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware