Windows slow boot - RAM?

Graphics Cards, Sound Cards, Joysticks, Computers, etc. Ask or advise here!

Re: Windows slow boot - RAM?

Postby Politically Incorrect » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:13 pm

With 2gigs you shouldnt have much trouble.

First thing I would do is check to see what all is starting when you fire up your PC if Windows is loading a bunch of programs this would casue a slow start.

Another thing would be to scan for viruses and spyware, that could casue a slow boot.

If that isn't this issue you may want to try on stick of RAM at a time to see what happens, possible you have a bad stick.

Of course though if non of that helps someone with more knowledge should be along to offer better advice.
Last edited by Politically Incorrect on Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Politically Incorrect
Major
Major

Postby ctjoyce » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:54 pm

Clean out your prefatch folder too. Should help.

Cheers
Cameron
CTJoyce, Modding and voiding warranties since 2003
Sheila's Specs:ASUS Striker Extreme 680i, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.2Ghz, Corsair XMS2 PC2-6400C4 2GB, 2x eVGA 7900GT KO,  Western Digital 80GB SATA & 250GB SATAIII
[b]Vesp
ctjoyce
Major
Major

Postby ctjoyce » Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:44 am

Well,not entirely, I had the same problem awhile ago. One day it just fixed itself, I have no idea what I did, it was just fixed.

Cheers
Cameron
CTJoyce, Modding and voiding warranties since 2003
Sheila's Specs:ASUS Striker Extreme 680i, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.2Ghz, Corsair XMS2 PC2-6400C4 2GB, 2x eVGA 7900GT KO,  Western Digital 80GB SATA & 250GB SATAIII
[b]Vesp
ctjoyce
Major
Major

Postby NicksFXHouse » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:26 am

Between the Windows boot screen and the desktop generally indicates windows is looking for a device, initializing a device or looking for the network.

To test, disable the network card in the hardware manager before you go to bed. Tomorrow, reboot the computer and see if it boots up. If it does, windows is having problems finding the network.

Any device driver can cause the same issue. Sometimes it requires disabling all devices and enabling one by one till you find the culprit.

Another method is to use BOOTVIS. This is a program designed by Microsoft to analyze exactly your issue. You set bootvis to record the next boot and when the boot is complete you then have bootvis load and show you the graphic interface of the boot in progress with a timeline. The long pause in the timeline will be noted by the driver or service the system paused for.
NicksFXHouse

Postby Politically Incorrect » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:08 pm

A friend of mine had a bad X52 something to do with its memory chip and it is a problem that Saitek knows about.
It would not function on occasion and also just found out today from him that it would also casue the same issues you are having.
His temporary solution was a quick reboot, same as you.

I would contact Saitek, chances are you will have to send it in to them and have the stick replaced
Politically Incorrect
Major
Major

Return to Hardware