Microsoft Force Feedback Pro on XP

Graphics Cards, Sound Cards, Joysticks, Computers, etc. Ask or advise here!

Microsoft Force Feedback Pro on XP

Postby Adam James » Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:52 am

Hi all,

I am having problems flying the sim with the keyboard as my joystick won't work with Flight Simulator 2002.

Could anyone please advise on why my joystick isn't working.

Joystick: Microsoft Force Feedback Pro
Game: Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002 STD Edition
Operating System: Windows XP Professional.

I've checked the "Joystick Enable" in the settings.
In the Control panel under game controllers, I get the properties and all works,but no forces are present .
I cant't seem to find any updated drivers for the joystick to be compatable with Windows XP.

Please help as I've only had the game a couple of days and am eager to use it to it's full potential.

Thanking you in advance
Adam James

Re: Microsoft Force Feedback Pro on XP

Postby 4_Series_Scania » Wed Jul 09, 2003 3:02 pm

Have you visited the M$ Website for a "Windows Update"?

I had this exact same issue when I recently got round to trying XP although with CFS2, I think the Service Pack 1 download did the trick.......

If you've tried this,without sucess, I'd suggest an e-mail to M$ tech support, I doubt they don't know of a fix for this problem of yours.
Posting drivel here since Jan 31st, 2002. - That long!
"He who laughs last, thinks slowest."
4_Series_Scania
Major
Major

Postby adam James » Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:23 pm

Hello 4_Series_Scania

Yeah thanks for that, After battling for 2 days I have finally got it to work in FS2002.

I still don't get the defualt forces, and I can't assign/program buttons outside of FS2002.

Anyway, at least I can fly now!!!

In previous research, I find that this joystick and XP dont comply, and microsoft won't provide a driver update. Please correct me if I'm wong...

Thanks again
adam James

Postby 4_Series_Scania » Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:28 pm

Hello 4_Series_Scania

Yeah thanks for that, After battling for 2 days I have finally got it to work in FS2002.

I still don't get the defualt forces, and I can't assign/program buttons outside of FS2002.

Anyway, at least I can fly now!!!

In previous research, I find that this joystick and XP dont comply, and microsoft won't provide a driver update. Please correct me if I'm wong...

Thanks again

Hi, I've done some digging, it seems there's a problem with M$ Force feedback 1 and XP but, if this URL to believed, all is not lost with Force Feedback 2!

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;264144

I have a non force M$ stick and have no problems at all, incidentally, my stick is connected via my sound cards gameport, I wonder if you perhaps have a conflict with an on-board gameport etc? may be worth looking in your machines BIOS to see if its turned on or not.....
(The above assumes you have a separate soundcard! lol)

Hope this helps.
Posting drivel here since Jan 31st, 2002. - That long!
"He who laughs last, thinks slowest."
4_Series_Scania
Major
Major

Postby congo » Fri Jul 25, 2003 11:20 am

The Microsoft Force Feedback Pro is compatible with XP.

I don't know if the following is your problem but it's mine.

Seems many new mainboards are coming out with a rather nice sounding onboard sound chip called AC'97 Codec.

Well, AC'97 onboard chips DO NOT support the MS Force Feedback Pro joystick. The forces are fed through the midi port which on AC'97 equipped boards doesn't support the stick. So Forces are out.

Also, even though the stick seems to configure, and works in some games, it won't work on others, in particular CFS2. AT ALL.

I have disabled my AC'97, put a addon soundcard in, and still no luck with any combination of bios tricks or headstands, nothing seems to work, So, I'm back to my old non FFB joystick.    :'(
ImageMainboard: Asus P5K-Premium, CPU=Intel E6850 @ x8x450fsb 3.6ghz, RAM: 4gb PC8500 Team Dark, Video: NV8800GT, HDD: 2x1Tb Samsung F3 RAID-0 + 1Tb F3, PSU: Antec 550 Basiq, OS: Win7x64, Display: 24&
congo
Major
Major

Return to Hardware