What potentiometers would YOU use?

Graphics Cards, Sound Cards, Joysticks, Computers, etc. Ask or advise here!

What potentiometers would YOU use?

Postby Hoorf » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:19 am

After long, faithful service, these two Saitek quads are getting tired. I've dealt with their chintzy, proprietary 10K 1/4-turn trimpots more times than I care to admit and now, since I've got pay FSUIPC and have been learning to custom-configure, it's time to get a Bodnar joystick board & some pots and learn, by trial-and-error, how to make and configure a custom quadrant.

This one'll use 8 pots, in order L to R: spoiler/speedbrake, two power levers (power, flight/ground idles, beta and reverse), two prop/fuel cutoff levers, two condition levers and, finally, the flaps. 8 pots, which the Bodnar board can handle. So, now with all this in mind, and also bearing in mind that the most common pots out there are usually one full turn or under, which turn range would you all use? Also, what ohmage range would suit the Bodnar and FSUIPC, in your opinion? I'm not averse to using some sort of internal gearing, I want to make this of excellent quality and am willing to engineer it well.

Also, someday in the future, the plan is to remove those power lever pots and put in motorized pots which will work in conjunction with autothrottle, so I'll eventually learn how to make some sort of board to interface between the motors & FSUIPC and respond off the autopilot and the airspeed indicator's data. But that's for later down the road, no worries about it at present. Any thoughts on the pots? Thanks!
Hoorf
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Location: In between the bright lights and the far, unlit unknown...

Re: What potentiometers would YOU use?

Postby zswobbie1 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:45 am

I'm using 100k ohms, linear rotary and slider pots with Leo Bodnar cards in 2 Sims.
Obviously with FSuipc.

Regards,
Robin
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby zswobbie1 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:47 am

10k can be used as well, as all calibrations, slopes etc can be set via FSuipc
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Hoorf » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:11 pm

zswobbie1 wrote:I'm using 100k ohms, linear rotary and slider pots with Leo Bodnar cards in 2 Sims.
Obviously with FSuipc.

Regards,
Robin

Awesome! That's what I was lookin' for, greatly appreciate the help. Got my eyes on a lot of ten on eBay, will also get gear kits (rack, pinion, etc.), too. Next stop: Leo Bodnar for a BU0836A-NC. Thanks!
Hoorf
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby zswobbie1 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:13 am

I'm using the BU0836X cards. 2x in our Shackleton sim, as we have 4x throttles & 4x boost(mix) to control, apart from yoke & pedals.
We also using 1x card in a Harvard AT-6 sim that we are building and another card in a MB326 (Impala, here in South Africa)

Best of luck, & regards,
Robin
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Hoorf » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:15 am

Thanks again, Robin, greatly appreciate it. Am setting up a panel which supports any single/twin piston, turboprop or jet, kinda fixated on 'em lately, esp. Q400, KingAir, other turbine Beech twins (Royal Duke & Royal Baron), Cessna Conquest and Piper Cheyenne 400LS...and Boeing twinjets up to 757. Finally getting the chutzpah to make my own quadrants...but I refuse to let go of my Saitek Cessna yoke, trim and pedals, those are gold. Next up: panel and autothrottle...
Hoorf
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Hardware