Multifunction USB Joystick Controller

Graphics Cards, Sound Cards, Joysticks, Computers, etc. Ask or advise here!

Multifunction USB Joystick Controller

Postby MillerS36 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:30 am

Hello everyone,

I'm new here in this fantastic community. May I ask advice about Multifunction USB Joystick Controller?

Can I use multifunction USB joystick controller? My PC Configuration is UX4, Intel Core i5-6200U CPU-2.30Ghz 2.40GHz, 8GB Ram, Video Memory 4GB AMD Radeon. OS-Ubuntu SBC x64

Here is specifications: https://www.icrfq.com/part/681232-100600.html

Many Thanks.
MillerS36
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Multifunction USB Joystick Controller

Postby napamule » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:25 am

Here is some info: 'Featuring USB 1.1 interface, the VM Desktop integrates seamlessly with software applications supporting USB joystick inputs via Microsoft DirectX. No device driver or SDK is required. The VM Desktop is recognized as a standard HID "game controller" 4 axes/29 button joystick.' I checked Amazon and it is 'Unavailable'. And no price. So if Linux has/uses DirectX then it should work.
Chuck B
Napamule
napamule
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:48 pm

Because a computer would "see" it as a common USB/HID device, AND the fact that it needs no software drivers, would make work just fine with any PC game.

The only problem is that this $400+ controller has been discontinued. How long??? I don't know

So if you can find one at a VERY good price, and if you don't need any kind of a warranty, Go for it.

But if you want something with lots of buttons & functions for only $55, consider a -
Logitech G13 Programmable Gameboard with LCD Display

Image . . Image
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby MillerS36 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:23 am

Thanks for your reply and advice, I will try it and let you know.
MillerS36
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby napamule » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:51 pm

I use a USB Targus 10-key pad ($15) and map a bunch of commands to it. It is strudy enough to last 5 years (so far) whereas the $55 G13 will only last 9 months (average) if used daily (according to reviews). Thumb switches go first. And the keys are below wrist level so you have to cup your hand to place fingers on keys on lower level (not ergonomic as claimed). Expensive junk!
Chuck B
Napamule
napamule
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:20 pm

napamule wrote:I use a USB Targus 10-key pad ($15) and map a bunch of commands to it. It is strudy enough to last 5 years (so far) whereas the $55 G13 will only last 9 months (average) if used daily (according to reviews). Thumb switches go first. And the keys are below wrist level so you have to cup your hand to place fingers on keys on lower level (not ergonomic as claimed). Expensive junk!
Chuck B
Napamule

Interesting. Two people with totally different experiences.

I bought mine from Amazon, and wrote about it on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:42 pm in The poor mans sim pit - PART 5 Extra Keys.

This thing is as solid as a rock and still works.

Like you, I bought a separate numeric keypad. I used mine to control the onscreen GPS. It worked out exceptionally well.

Image . .Image

MS Windows treats ALL connected keyboards and keypads as the same thing. For instance the number 5 on one keyboard can't be programmed differently from the number 5 on another board plugged into the same machine.

That is, normally.

There are ways to get around this. I used the free program HIDMacros to get around this. With HIDMacros you can have as many keyboards as you have room for, and everyone of them will be treated completely different. So, for an example, you CAN program the 5 on each keyboard to do different things when pressed.

Simple and easy to use

Another such program is JoyToKey (AKA Joy2Key). It's a shareware/free program that is both small, simple, and yet powerful.

Don't overlook some of the simpler solutions. ANY USB device can be used for your flight sim. This cheap USB GamePad can be used to control anything that you want, like setting the numbers on your radio or autopilot.

Or, because they are so cheap, strip it down and use the board to add buttons to something else.

AND, if you're feeling inventive & adventurous, you can make your own controllers FAR cheaper than you can buy them using Arduino controllers..
(Mine, but without the labels)

Or something simpler like this (not mine).

Don't want to build your own? For about $100 (shipping included) you can get a DSD FLT1.

This is mine after I put labels on it

In short - You've got a LOT of options. :D
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Return to Hardware