More Fun and Games

Graphics Cards, Sound Cards, Joysticks, Computers, etc. Ask or advise here!

More Fun and Games

Postby Shadowcaster » Wed May 24, 2017 2:26 pm

So there I am with the Hunter lined up on Marham's main runway a quick check of the gauges and we're on our way. Gear up, flaps up and a climb to 8000 feet and 250 knots everything is going well and then wallop the bl**dy computer shuts down :shock: . So restart the computer and try again this time a Chipmunk at Perranporth, well all seems well and then it does it again. OK time for some investigation ran checks on the SSD and HDD's all seem fine out with the graphics card, clean the connections check cooling fans on card and processor once again thing looked OK. Right lets give it another try and guess what she shuts down again. Righto I think it lets try reinstalling FSX and see what happens well I think you can guess what's coming next, yep, she crashes again the odd thing is that Window 10 runs fine, it's not until you run FSX that the problem turns up, well lets try reinstalling Windows and see what happens, another waste of time. Now I admit that at times I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but in a moment of rational thinking I thought is it the GeForce 760 which I got second hand from EBay a quick test with the onboard graphics and everything is working. I then put the card back in and ran a Stability Test on the card instant shutdown as soon as the card was put under load. So did I get a faulty card well no, I took the card out again and examined it and then checked the cabling and (how I missed this I don't know :oops: :roll: ) found this

not sure how it got so hot to do this sort of damage but you can bet I'm keeping a watchful eye on the innards now. :pray:

Now about a week or so ago the other half said she smelt burning, no says I it's next doors barbecue, another lesson learnt. :oops: :oops:
Off now to try with the Hunter again 8-)
Cheers
Rich (A little wiser)
All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Return to Hardware