Windows 10 Shenanigans

Graphics Cards, Sound Cards, Joysticks, Computers, etc. Ask or advise here!

Windows 10 Shenanigans

Postby Shadowcaster » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:56 pm

Tuesday 20th Sept computer (i5 2600, 16gig 1gig NVidea Graphics) running really well. FSX really smooth. Wednesday morning Win10 wanted to do an update no big worry I thought. After restarting the damned thing told me that Daemon tools was not compatible with this version of Windows, ah well didn't use it much anyway. Spent about an hour trying to get get rid of it, because the uninstaller was not compatible with this version of Windows. Revo deInstaller finally got rig the blighter. I then found that the update was the long awaited Anniversary Edition. Ah well let's have a cuppa, sat down and noticed that the screen-saver was working, that hadn't worked since Win10 was installed, (some issue with Saitek joystick) bonus I thought. Next up check Emails and have a wonder around the net, Waterfox would not let me onto the Google search site, Wikipedia and a whole lot of others, saying that the site not configured correctly that problem sometimes appears if the computer doesn't have the correct date, now that problem has appeared on another of my computers, the usual fix is to set the correct date. Well the date is correct so I tried Firefox and all was well again, once again no big deal. I then decided to have a play and fired up FSX with Ant's Tiggy at Bowerman, took off, about half way around the circuit FSX crashed, "Your computer has run out of available memory", never had that problem before even with the disc version of FSX. Tried to load different scenarios all with the same outcome. By this time I was starting to get a tad annoyed so cut my losses and do a complete install of Win10 and all software. After doing that and letting the Anniversary update do it's thing, I now have a working computer with FSX running really smooth again. What the problem was I still don't know, I see on the net that I was not alone in having problems.

Cheers
Rich
All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Re: Windows 10 Shenanigans

Postby Sinkrate » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:08 am

For all Win 10 victims:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2 ... reaking-c/

Doubt if you’ll get any money out of them but don’t despair, “you’re all in it together.” :(
Sinkrate
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby pete » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:07 am

I also have all kinds of issues since allowing W10 to update the other day. Many things are failing to start and even Norton has been replaced by Windows Defender. (That's way out of line!)

I want the idiot minds who are responsible for this to be brought forward. I can't remember when microsoft ever before tried to control my system.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Fozzer » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:46 am

My favourite installed versions of Windows:

With GUI (Graphical User Interface....Like Apple!)... :D ....!
(Anyone remember "DOS"?.... ;) ....

Win '95: My introduction to Windows in the Dark Ages, with all my home-built Desktop computers.
Win '98 SE: (Special edition) the start of the "Classic" version of Windows, and Dial-up Internet...Rather nice!
Win XP: One of the best...and probably everyone's favourite!
Win 8.1: My present version using; "Classic*" Windows start menu, and files+folders, etc, http://www.classicshell.net/ (Just like '98 and XP!), which excludes all the unnecessary cr*p!

I can't see me; "upgrading" anytime soon!.... ;) ....!

If it 'aint broken..it don't need fixing!... :D ...!

Paul.... :dance: ....!

* Classic Shell: (Thanks Webb!) Well worth installing for folks who like fiddling with their Windows!.... :D ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:40 am

Shadowcaster wrote:Tuesday 20th Sept computer (i5 2600, 16gig 1gig NVidea Graphics) running really well. FSX really smooth. Wednesday morning Win10 wanted to do an update no big worry I thought. ....................

................................ I then found that the update was the long awaited Anniversary Edition.

That's odd. The Win 10 Anniversary Update installed itself to my laptop some weeks ago. It seemed to take for ever & restarted the PC several times during the process but all worked fine when it eventually finished. Perhaps I'm lucky but I've had not a single problem with it.

By this time I was starting to get a tad annoyed so cut my losses and do a complete install of Win10

My current laptop came with Windows 8.1 pre-installed - since updated to Win 10 before the free update expired. Just in case I wish to reinstall Win 10 in future I'm wondering how I would do that. :think:

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:55 am

Hagar wrote:..................

That's odd. The Win 10 Anniversary Update installed itself to my laptop some weeks ago. It seemed to take for ever & restarted the PC several times during the process but all worked fine when it eventually finished. Perhaps I'm lucky but I've had not a single problem with it.

Windows 10 Anniversary Update rollout may not be done until early November

As to the question of reinstalling Windows 10, IF you took the whole "FREE" upgrade route, I don't know.

I DO know that, at least in the begining, Microsoft would not let you re-activate Windows 10 if your hardware changes caused a re-activation - Free Windows 10 upgrade GOTCHA, Sat Jul 04, 2015. If that policy has been changed, I haven't heard of it.

Consequently, I bought the full Windows 10 Professional version for my computer upgrade.

Among other things, it lets you stop automatic upgrades easily. On that, I'm sure that there must be ways of doing so with the other versions of Windows 10 by now.

When I installed Windows 10, I intentionally made no modifications for three months. I wanted to give the "new" version a fair try. After that, I made modifications, but not too many.

And, like most people, I lost a few programs & functions here and there. The biggest was the free Windows XP Virtual computer feature of Windows 7 Pro. Thanks to my wife's decision to buy a new laptop, I resolved that problem by re-installing Virtual XP on her old Win 7 laptop. :D

Other than a few problems, such as my "old" HP laser printer not being "Compatible" (I wonder how much HP paid MS to make it "Incompatible"? :think: ), I've had only minor problems. BTW - I found a similar HP driver that works perfectly. The HP 1010HB is no longer "Incompatible". :D

At any rate, if you can put off the Anniversary Update until MS resolves most of the problems, you might be better off. That's what I plan to do.
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Shadowcaster » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:30 pm

It's not so much a problem with Win10 more of a glitch with the Anniversary Update. Before that installed the computer was running better than ever, no crashes at all. The only thing that did not work was the screen-saver which was the Saitek X52Pro. I worked in computer support, hardware and operating systems, and found many many times, that what works for one computer, may not work with another. I always found that reinstalling everything usually did the trick and was most times a quicker option. On Wednesday my Win10 tablet updated to the Anniversary Edition and has had no problems at all so far. :pray:

I must say that with all the different types of hardware, software and other peripherals it amazes me that the bloody things works at all. :o I always done a reinstall about every 6-8 months which clears out all the rubbish and give me a clean machine to play with. :dance: :dance:

Cheers
Rich
All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

Spike Milligan
Shadowcaster
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:23 pm

As you might know, I kept Win7 and bought Win 10 Pro.

I tried it for a couple of months "as is" before I started changing it. It's probably about 90% true Win 10 now.

One thing that I DID NOT like was that they removed the only games that I used to play - Minesweeper, Internet Backgammon, and Mahjong.

The game pack is still free, but you have to go to Microsofts game store and register to download them. The games are still free, but also changed for the worse.

Anyway, I have no intention of getting ANY OTHER games from MS, free or not. So I tracked down the old Win7games and installed only the ones that I wanted.

I strongly dislike MS Edge, and won't use it. The same goes for MS Cortana.

For the most part, Windows 10 is simply different.

Unfortunately for some, Windows 10 will evolve in a direction that someone at MS will decide. For better or worse, you won't be able to pop a disk in your computer & reinstall your "old" OS.

There are some things that are better. Many that are just different. Others, with problems, that I simply find a way around.

Not that I'm likely to switch permanently, but I also run Linux. Options, options, options. :D
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby ftldave » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:24 pm

OldAirmail wrote:... but I also run Linux.

You poor man.

The latest StatCounter shows desktop Linux running on 1.4% of the world's computers. It's the Walking Dead of desktop operating systems. But, hey, have fun with it ... if you have the time and inclination.

I once read that: "Only college students and masochists have the time and inclination to run desktop Linux."

ftldave
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:33 pm

In a post about Windows 10, your only contribution is about how you dislike Linux. :lol: :character-spongebobdance:
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby logjam » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:10 am

I liked Windows 10 so much, I bought a copy to upgrade my laptop, which was running XP. Sad, sad, sad. First off, it identified my expensive fraud Dell (I was assured it was a 64 bit and didn't know any different) as a 32 bit laptop and installed it as 32 bit windows 10. Next, it also installed a new video driver, which disallowed the use of an external monitor, now stuck with a generic video driver and tiny screen. It won't network properly and takes several days to auto install updates. I only bought it because windows 10 can operate on the 2gig memory max of the laptop. Ha ha ha, 2 gig you say? Well it's a good job it's only used for solitaire and on-line banking. O yes one more thing, I can now only use it while it's on charge( always reads 90%) otherwise the screen is covered in pop up error messages. O well, I guess a $115 waste of money isn't bad compared with a $500 wasted computer, or is it?
logjam
Major
Major

Return to Hardware