Recommended specs for FSX

Graphics Cards, Sound Cards, Joysticks, Computers, etc. Ask or advise here!

Recommended specs for FSX

Postby jimbo_sheff » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:27 pm

G'Day Folks.

I'm a returning member here, I used to have an account and participate in Simviation for a few years. My old username was jimbo_sheff or Jimbosheff - Can't quite remember which one! However it's either been locked out or deleted.
Ofcourse, with many of lifes interesting events I moved around the world and lost touch with Flight Simming - and now, in a stable position in life I'm keen to get back into it.

Only problem is - Where do I start?

It was around 4 years ago since I last had my stint on FSX and I've no idea what my recommended hardware should be.

I know this will be a repeat, of many, many posts but if someone could point me in the way of todays recommended specs for FSX that would be great. Ideally the hardware (Specifics/model etc) from todays market.

Thanks all.

James (jimbo_sheff).
jimbo_sheff
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Recommended specs for FSX

Postby jimbo_sheff » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:07 am

Okay, with a bit of research he's what I'm planning

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2133MHz
Asus B150M-Plus LGA1151 mATX Motherboard
Intel Core i5-6600K CPU - Skylake LGA1151, 3.5GHz, 6MB
Asus STRIX GeForce GTX960 4GB Graphic Card
Samsung MZ-75E500BW 850 EVO 500GB 2.5" SATA III SSD

For the basic parts. I'm just struggling on the PSU - Any suggestions? ALSO, any suggestions or improvements on the above.

I'm looking to play FSX on full if I can with the PMDG 777.

Thanks.

James
jimbo_sheff
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Recommended specs for FSX

Postby OldAirmail » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:04 pm

"I'm just struggling on the PSU"

I just received this - Sentey MBP1000-HM Metal Blade Power 1000Watts. I'm VERY pleased with it.

This is a simi-modular power supply meaning that aside from the motherboard cables, all other cables are plugged into the power supply only if you need them.

If you might run two high end cards you'll need the extra power. If not, go for something in the 700-750Watt range.

Everything else is more than you'll need for FSX so it can't hurt.

In fact, sometimes I run more than a few programs, such as weather programs, that'll need that extra power. You may end up doing the same.

Like you, I'm in the process of building my own. Read - Replacing my dead computer if interested in my choices.
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Return to Hardware