Replacing my dead computer

Graphics Cards, Sound Cards, Joysticks, Computers, etc. Ask or advise here!

Re: Replacing my dead computer

Postby Flacke » Wed May 11, 2016 7:31 pm

Awaken wrote:Thanks for the info AirMail, it will probably be about 3-6 months before I get my new card. I just want to check all possibilities, especially with my budget (around $200-250 for my graphics card).
I currently have a GTX960 in my Newegg wishlist. I don't play very demanding games, FS9,XPlane,and FSX will be the most taxing for my system.

Hello Awaken. Just for the record I am running an ASUS GTX 950 STRIX Gaming GPU and it runs FSX flawlessly at high frame-rates and beautiful colors etc etc. The current pricing on them is great too. When on sale the GTX 950's and 960's are a real bargain in my opinion. With your budget you will not have any trouble choosing a GPU that will work very well.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Wed May 11, 2016 8:23 pm

Interesting notes on SSD maintenance.

Windows 10 does perform automatic, routine, maintenance on SSD and hard drives.

Who knew. ???

How to defragment your PC's hard drive on Windows 10

At the bottom of the page it says this:
However, you'll still see"Solid state drive" listed under the Optimize Drives tool, because Windows can also perform different maintenance tasks to optimize your SSD, including the ability to inform the drive that certain blocks of data are no longer in use and can be erased making them writable again.

I've never noticed because I've been using the SSD software that came with the SSD to perform the TRIM maintenance.

I'll have to find out how Win 10 performs TRIM.

Is it even possible to "try" to defragment an SSD?

I know that a SSD can't be defragmented, it's not fragmentable in the first place. But would a defragmentation program even attempt it?
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Flacke » Thu May 12, 2016 1:42 am

Hello OAM, Since Windows 10 has an actual built-in "plan" to maintain and extend the life of SSD's while giving best performance, I was planning to just sit back and let it work on this SSD.
I will monitor performance and see how long it actually lasts for me while performing the tasks that I need it to.
Thats what I have been doing and have not even "experimented" with anything on my SSD.

But I am interested in what anybody else is doing, as usual, with their SSD's. Its a learning tool for me and I want to gradually learn as much as possible about them. So far, they appear to be " big, fancy, high-speed RAM" and its quite possible that they are the future of storage. The old spinning-plates Hard-Drives will continue to gradually be replaced when people see how nice an SSD works. I already know some people who have ONLY SSD's in their computers.
Flacke
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Awaken » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:15 am

Flacke wrote:
Awaken wrote:Thanks for the info AirMail, it will probably be about 3-6 months before I get my new card. I just want to check all possibilities, especially with my budget (around $200-250 for my graphics card).
I currently have a GTX960 in my Newegg wishlist. I don't play very demanding games, FS9,XPlane,and FSX will be the most taxing for my system.

Hello Awaken. Just for the record I am running an ASUS GTX 950 STRIX Gaming GPU and it runs FSX flawlessly at high frame-rates and beautiful colors etc etc. The current pricing on them is great too. When on sale the GTX 950's and 960's are a real bargain in my opinion. With your budget you will not have any trouble choosing a GPU that will work very well.

Well, I've almost finished my new build also and am VERY happy. Yes Flacke, I picked up a EVGA 950 SC on sale for $100 and it is a wonderful card especially for that price. The I5 4440 I got for $165 with free shipping so I went for it. FSX is like a new sim for me now, looking and performing very nice. :dance: Only thing left is a AData 480GB SSD.
AMD R5 1600 AF on ASROCK B450, Teamgroup 16GB DDR4 3000, GTX 1650 Super , 500 GB SSD and 3TB HDD, EVGA 500W PS, ASUS 27in. MX27A 2k monitor, Windows 10
Awaken
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Thu May 04, 2017 6:31 am

Welcome to Simviation, Sam.

I think that picking the "best" computer is kinda like picking the "Best" girl.

One may look GREAT!, but unaffordable. Another one may look fine, but with a nasty personality.

In the end we settle for what we can afford, and hope for the best.

BUT, every now and then, a new one comes along that makes us wish we had waited. :D

Women, on the other hand, just figure that they can change us to suit their needs. :lol:

Today? Today, I'd buy some different parts. And for tomorrow? Again, something different than what I bought yesterday.

I try to stay away from the cutting edge, but balance what I have to spend with what I'd like to buy.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby AkselVerg » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:50 am

I fully agree with OldAirmail, I can not stop to admire the latest innovations of gaming laptops. Especially I can not take my eyes off the Asus Gl752 (just to understand what I'm talking about https://www.bestadvisers.co.uk/best-gaming-laptops).
In fact, I have a long time since realized that it is much cheaper to build the computer by myself, so sensibly after thinking, I decided to abandon the laptop and try to collect my PC. The advantage is that you can make it for yourself both financially and in terms of the harddrive. But with the PC you also need to think about the monitor (I think you will agree with me that it is inexpressible - to fly on a larger screen, and if also with a joystick ... <<s ), and about the keyboard, etc.
AkselVerg
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby napamule » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:22 pm

I read every word of your posts (since last year) and admire your technical accumen (thinking). I will need a new PC next year so I wrote down the info. I want exactly what you got. Thanks for doing all the legwork. :clap:

I only difer on 2 points: (1). I MIGHT have an SSD for OS (MAYBE) but 1 Tb HDD (Western Digital 7200 rpm) for Sims. Back that HDrive to external and quit worrying about HD failures. (2). I will not (ever) overclock to 4.5 Ghz and will instead leave at 4.0 Ghz and activate the BIOS TURBO option. That way when under load the CPU will be pushed to 4.3 (aprox) automatically, and with no voltage increase. I then can operate with only fans (1 front, 1 back) and no water cooling. All I need is (a steady, smooth) 30 fps anyway.
Chuck B
Napamule
Edit: Here are my current specs:
i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Acer 23 in LCD, Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse. FS9 and FSX Accel, locked at 30 fps.
napamule
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:33 pm

When I was picking out my parts I kept two things in mind - First, I wanted a system that would run a 64bit sim pretty well (and it does run 64bit Prepar3d V4 VERY well), the second thing that I wanted was the possibility of running a flight sim in 3D. I'm just on the edge of the second "want", 3D. Hopefully prices will come down this year and I can give it a try.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby napamule » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:02 am

Really? 3D? And I thought the '3d' was just a clever logo gimmick or sub for 'Ed'. Who knew. :shock:
Chuck B
Napampule
napamule
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:33 pm

Old people say 3D. :lol:

Young punks (60 and under) say virtual reality. :D
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Previous

Return to Hardware