ATI Drivers?

Graphics Cards, Sound Cards, Joysticks, Computers, etc. Ask or advise here!

ATI Drivers?

Postby Merlin0859 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:22 pm

Could someone tell me what the newest drivers they run FSX with? I run Windows 7 64bit and have an older ATI card. I read some time ago that since ATI no longer would support FSX because of it's age and the newer drivers didn't work. Has that changed? I have been happy with, I think I have 13.4. Everything runs very smoothly and I'm happy and would stay put. However a newer game of another genre may need newer drivers but I don't want FSX to stop working either. Thus my quandary. Advice like get an nVidia card while appreciated won't help. Unless your willing to loan me the money for said card. :-) Have to stay put do to budget concerns. Thanks for any advice and help given!

<<q
Merlin0859
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: ATI Drivers?

Postby OldAirmail » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:37 pm

That's easy - Don't sweat it.

I switched from NVidia to AMD (ATI) about four or five years ago.

And the only improvement that I got in FSX was - - - NOTHING.

It's not that the AMD cards didn't do well. They actually did far better than I had expected.

But I've never had one of their driver updates make any noticeable difference in FSX.

My guess is that the newest drivers take advantage of the latest cards, with little if any attempt made to improve the older cards.

Can you tell me what video card you have? You might be very surprised by your options.

BTW -the driver that I have is 15.7.1, and it runs FSX without any problems.
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Merlin0859 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:04 am

I actually have fsx running as I wish. That's why I don't want to screw it up. A newer game I have might do better with newer drivers though. I have a 6670 1gb card and it's plenty for me fsx wise. Besides I can't upgrade any time soon. Luckily it doesn't appear I'll need to. Performance wise I'm happy with it as is. Good thing since I'm broke. Thanks for the answer. Seems my drivers can go forward a bit before I run into trouble!
Merlin0859
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:19 pm

Actually, if I were you I'd just keep what I had.

Unless your "newer" game is high end, cutting edge, you may not see any improvement.

Try the game first and see if it's ok.

The Radeon 6670 cards will play just about anything but the highest end games. And it'll play them too, but you may need to move the sliders to the left a bit.
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby ViperPilot » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:18 pm

I've used ATI cards for years, and never had any issues with them.

Like OAM said... newer Drivers may enhance the features of the newer Cards, but probably won't do anything with the older ones.

Stick with what you already have, and occasionally clean the Card and its Fan.

Alan :lol:
ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Return to Hardware