Operating System in starting over

Graphics Cards, Sound Cards, Joysticks, Computers, etc. Ask or advise here!

Operating System in starting over

Postby coalpedlar » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:05 am

I've dumped my PC. Bought a MAC with 8 gig RAM and 2 gig video memory. I plan to partition my hard drive and Install a windows operating system and then add FSX so I can return.
What operating system should I purchase? I'm planning to purchase Windows XP on EBAY, but should I get the 32 bit or 64 bit?
Also, is a Saitek X-52 Flight Controller compatible with FSX?
Help much appreciated
coalpedlar
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Operating System in starting over

Postby Steve M » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:58 pm

I would go for Windows 7, 64 bit and that stick should work ok. I'm running Win 8.1 64 bit and other than the sharp learning curve I have FSX running better than ever. Win XP isn't supported anymore and getting the updates you will need for it might be a bit of a job, possibly.
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby Alienware » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:42 pm

Definite go with the Win 7 and 64 bit and you will need a good video card. I prefer the G-force series according to your O.S.

FSX Acceleration in my 8.1 ran very well until I downloaded the free Windows 10. FSX comes up but the Free Flight in screen FSX monitor of Free Flight aircraft is blank/black. Select Aircraft title and select fly anyway without seeing it in the select window, and sure enough, I can hear my jet engines, flaps, tower, etc etc but blank/black screen, so.....anyone else? Also strange my Missions disappeared awhile back. Now they have reappeared and are also blank when flown. All my FIPS, radios, etc etc went out with 8.1, but starting to come back with 10.
Alienware
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby tinpusher » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:32 am

Alienware, did you install the direct play app?
It makes older games run smoothly in W10.
Open control panel, open programs and features,
Press Turn Windows features on/off (it is on the left hand side),
Put a tick in Diect Play in the L for Legacy, then restart your system.
Regards,
Ron
tinpusher
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Alienware » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:29 am

Thanks tinpusher, I will give it a try when I get home. I'm an old MOS 6042 myself. (Rhino's)
Alienware
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby tinpusher » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:45 pm

Hoa Marine!
so you should know your way around in this.
During installation/opening a pop up screen may appear which states:"unable to load bglman.dll", apparently that has something to do with anti-virus...........
There are numerous solutions to counter this.
Simply use Google.
Currently I am running FS9 and FSX (standard issue with Sp1 and 2) in W10 on an older HP notebook with 24" screen and experienced no problems that can not be corrected so far.
However there are other issues in W10 which make me consider a downgrade to W7 (only possible within one month after installation of W10.)
Success!
Regards,
Ron
tinpusher
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Alienware » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:30 pm

Roge O VMFA-115, MAG-15 "72" "75" WestPac. I am trying your suggestion and thanks. I have clicked on "Turn Windows features on or off", and still waiting for it to open. I have the timer spinning so its trying to get there. I just got this rig. The 51 Base, and for what I paid for it I am still waiting for the hand to come out of a trap door somewhere and stir my coffee. By the way, I'm still in the business, FRC's.
Alienware
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Alienware » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:59 pm

Okay tinpusher, works fine. I had a silent program running in the background which needed to be closed first. Not that big a deal change other than finding the basic command re-shuffle. I like its new grouping, it is a smoother transition. Looks like my 2 radio stacks just came back up. But that is it, should be able to find problem now. I should own stock with Saitek. Many thanks Obi- one, I owe you one.
Alienware
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Hardware