Ohh No Windows 10 now ???

Graphics Cards, Sound Cards, Joysticks, Computers, etc. Ask or advise here!

Ohh No Windows 10 now ???

Postby Jetranger » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:59 am

This just coming out about Mickey Soft and their supposed New Release of Windows 10

and so far the news isn't good on that either !!!

LINK : http://www.cbsnews.com/news/windows-10-is-coming-its-free-and-you-can-try-it-now/

I have windows 7 and am quite happy with it and works well good enough !!

I'm getting less impressed with some of these Young supposed Techno' Nerds who design and come up with this stuff they try to sell us !

Instead of making a better 'Mouse Trap", they seem to be fabricating an operating system that's sub par, sub standard , and then trying to convince everybody thru "HYPE" that its the greatest thing since moms homemade apple pie.

Just like GOOGLE tried to do with those stupid Glasses that Failed and they are taking off the market and no longer offering support for them.

Not to mention what Google has done to YOU TUBE thru the years after they purchased it and essentially destroyed and ruined the entire YOU TUBE experience that once was,,, compared to today what it is !!!

Heres what some users are saying about WINDOWS 10 Mickey Softs supposedly new operating system

I can already see it causing Massive problems for us Flight Simmers and Flight Sim Developers , once againnnnnnnnnnn !!!!

LINK : http://www.cbsnews.com/news/windows-10-is-coming-its-free-and-you-can-try-it-now/

***********************************************************************************************************************
I tried windows 10 preview for about 15 minutes and was totally disgusted !!!
task bar was was worse than 95, no desktop button, Windows 7 task bar is "ART" while 10 is like kindergarten craft, then I saw those tiles in the start menu and about puked.
Could not roll back to windows 7 quick enough. I've been messing with Linux Mint 17 on another laptop and am loven it. All my computers are laptops without touch and an android phone is all the touch I need.
I have a feeling "Microsoft died when Bill Gates stepped off the throne".
Going from Windows 7 to 10 was like going from "Star Trek to the Jetsons".
Now I see why people hated 8 so much. free source Linux Mint is going to have millions of converts......

And they have yet to apologize for Vista.

Did you see the word "beta" in this thinly veiled ad ? That means they are springing another "test version" on us. After we paid big bucks for the "other" fouled up versions. They haven't gotten it right since XP.

Windoze 8 was very predictably a piece of Crap. Anybody who understands micro$oft knows that just about every other OS they release falls into the same category as 8. Win XP, which remains one of the best OS ever made, was followed by the disaster known as Vista - which stunk so bad it had to be replaced well ahead of schedule. It's replacement, Windows 7 is a decent OS that has many years of continued useful life. But to get more ca$h, the mentally challenged greed mongers in Redmond rushed the highly flawed Win 8 out the door. It was so bad, words can barely describe it. As usual, they desperately scrambled to fix the hundreds of major flaws - and thousands of minor ones - in 8 to get 8.1 back to something that actually works for users in the real world - but they didn't do enough to eliminate the stench from this poorly conceived and horrifically executed OS. BEWARE OF Win10: When money obsessed third-rate programmers like those of micro$oft offer something for "free" (Internet Explorer is free!) consider CAVEAT EMPTOR - you'll get what you "pay" for!
Jetranger
Major
Major

Re: Ohh No Windows 10 now ???

Postby Tonydb » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:59 am

Here, here, sticking with Wn7 now. A developer friend of mine tried win10, and had nothing but problems.
AMD FSX 8 Series 4.65 KHz, 16GB Memory, ASUS MB, 2 X 2TB hard drives, 1 X 1TB SSD, Orico 4TB external backup drive, AMD 9000 series Graphics Card, 3 X AOC 25" Monitors Saitek AV8R, Saitek throttle block, custom cooling
Tonydb
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby zswobbie1 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:35 am

Ooooo... Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

Your spelling a bit strange? Trying to make a point of sorts?

Dunno why the rant.. I'm sure no-one forced you to try the W10 Preview? If you have such a low opinion of Microsoft, why did you even try it?

BTW, re your comment ..'can already see it causing Massive problems for us Flight Simmers and Flight Sim Developers , once againnnnnnnnnnn !!!!' Again? Huh?
So many reports out there are saying that W10 is great with FSX. Why would it cause 'Massive problems for us Flight Simmers and Flight Sim Developers?'
Im very happy with W8.1, no problems with ANY of the sims & I put in a new Start Button (freeware), so it looks like W7. Also, I think those tiles are great as apps for stuff such as Recipes, Financials, Weather, etc.

Also BTW... NOT just out, as you claim.. this info was released on 21 Jan!

In any case, it's a great move by Microsoft. At last, we will be getting free upgrades, just like our phones.
Our OS's will always be up to date! No more having to pay for OS's!
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Blaunarwal » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:37 am

I look forward to Windows 10, when it's officialy released. I will probably wait the first months to see, how problems are fixed. I don't try the beta on my FSX machine, since I want to fly and don't want to test. ;-)
It has been already possible with Win 8 to try the prerelaese version. That's a good way to improve products upon release. But when I see all these service packs released afterwards, public beta testing doesn't deliver the quality one would expect.
Blaunarwal
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Apex » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:11 am

I am purrrfectly happy with Win07, does everything just right, never had any probs whatsoever, so for me, if it ain't broke, I ain't a-gonna replace it, that's for sure. I was also happy with WinXP, no probs there either, but had to switch when I got my new system back in March 2011. Win07 seems a bit better than WinXP but is/was not so radically different, so switching over was fairly painless. Just before they discontinued Win07 I panicked having heard the negatives re: Win08, and got a second backup computer with Win07 just in case.

I am still picking at MS for making a total mess of Excel, thankfully I was able to get the old 2002 version installed, the new version is crazy and I feel sorry for anyone who
is trying to learn how to work it, altho any newbie Excelers might not know the difference. Well, I sure do, had nothing but problems with the new version and it's crazy "what were they thinking" shortfalls.
Apex
Major
Major

Postby Jetranger » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:24 am

zswobbie1 - you've got what add ons with your what version of Flight Simulator ?????

If all your running is Flight Simulator version whatever, your probably fine.

as a Generic user

but, if your going to be using other addon's such as

Orbx People Flow

Rex Essentials

Active Sky

Accu Feel - from A2A Simulations

and many other add ons from developers will what you currently have work properly ??

there were problems with windows 8 letting some add ons work properly such as this post from a Flight Sim Pilot

** Is anyone in this thread running Windows 8 x64 RTM with an "orbx addon" that has an "objectflow dll" entry in the dll.xml file?

I've "discovered a bug in Windows 8" that causes a "crash to desktop" on switching windows (in d3d9.dll). I've confirmed it to be "Windows 8 related" and not some other cause.

Heres some more issues that other Flight Simmers with Add Ons had experienced :

I have a fresh installation of WIN8 64 (SSD) and a fresh installation of FSX/ACC (SSD).

The following things are added: ORBX Sceneries, FSUIPC (registred) and A2A Accufeel. Not more. What happen is, that after a while my FSX looses every controllers (Saitek Yoke, Saitek Rudder, Trim Wheel, Quadrant).
I´m rather frustrated.... It took a loooooong time to install everything new... http://forum.avsim.net/public/style_emot...

Hallo Stephan,

I confirm and share both the problem and the frustration. My system is more or less like yours (one SSD with WIn8 64), another just for "Prepar3D" with "OpusFSX", registered "FSUIPC, REX, UTX".

I'm mostly flying the NGX on medium to short flights, and as a rule my MS Sidewinder disconnects after a while into most flights. There have been a couple flights so far where it did not, but there is no consistency. Same route, same aircraft, same flight time.. and yet on the next flight it disconnects again.

I have not yet found a way to get P3D to recognise it again after that point. Need to close P3D and restart which obviously kills the pleasure of using the sim altogether.

I have made sure I use the latest drivers, have run P3D in different compatibility modes, have tried switching between USB 2 and USB 3 connectors, unplugged an replugged the joystick, uninstalled FSUIPC.. nada.

It would be a major pain indeed to reformat and install Win7, and then set up the whole system from ground up again, but I'm getting closer..

Wonder how many more are having the same issue and if anybody at all found a consistent solution so far.

George

Win 8 and FSX didn´t work for me. I had to completely reinstall Win 7 and throw Win 8 into the trash bin. It´s a bad operating system with a "flawed UI" and even worse implications for the whole PC market, meaning MS wanting to take control of the PC and it´s applications.

This is by far the worst OS from MS since "Vista"

zswobbie1, I could find all kinds of posts from serious Flight Sim user Pilots, who are heavy into Flight Simming who have all kinds of Special Add Ons and Special Hardware set ups that encountered problems.

But on Tue Feb 10, 2015 you posted that you didn't know what a "what UAC does anyway" ???

Response to your Question :roll:

was from another simviation user was :

(user account control)

"UAC" provides a level of protection against bad stuff from the Internet, and to help stop those who know not what they do. For those of us who work with MANY computers used by MANY people, it's a very good idea.

The benefits of UAC are threefold:
1. It ensures that programs are not casually launched as administrator, and therefore any malware that might run because of one of those programs isn't able to make changes to the system.
2. It ensures that programs cannot run as admin without the user knowing about it beforehand.
3. It allows regular users to run administrative functions without needing access to the whole of the admin account to do so.

As I've said before a lotta of Serious Flight Simmers have a lot wrapped up in their software and hardware and "it isn't as Simple as just un-installing and re-installing in only a few minutes".

I myself have over 375 Add On sceneries and over 4,775 Aircraft installed along with all the Gauges and special effects that go along with it.

not to mention theres probably another 75 Aircraft that I've customized the Cockpit panels and or the cockpits themselves.

I'm sure there are others out there as well, who are more into Flight Simming, quite seriously and have spent a lot of time customizing their set ups and Aircraft and sceneries.

So ya, this could be a fairly big issue for those serious Flight Simmers !

which is why I put up the article I found, with comments from others below the article that was posted on the CBS news web site.

and no where did I say that I myself had switched, that's something you "Assumed" on your own !!

for the Average Generic Flight Sim user who basically just has Flight Simulator installed and not much of anything else, they probably won't have any issues with Windows 10 after it comes out.

Just Un-install and re-install the Flight Simulator in a few minutes and you'll be good to go hopefully.

but for the others - it'll be a serious problem re-installing all that software and hardware again !!!

Good Day down there in South Africa !! :D :D :D :roll: :)
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby zswobbie1 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:16 am

Hi, from a very sunny Cape Town, here in South Africa.

I'm only saying what works for me..
Well, I'm running both W7 & 8.1 - UAC turned off!
FS9 (2x versions) & P3Dv2.4
Orbx
Rex
A2A 172, 182, 180 (all accufeel)
Sibwings, Aerosoft, Golden Age, A bunch of Just Flight, FSAddon Anson etc
Aeroworx freeware scenery for South Africa
FSuipc (obviously)
CH Products pedals & yoke
etc...

I've been simming since the FS2000 days (the good ol' days)
I'm the 'librarian' at our VA, Cape Virtual, where we mentor "The Young Falcons", a youth & community initiative at our local South African Air Force Base (Ysterplaat - FAYP) It's a 2 year course for the kids, & after lectures, they do practicals on Flight Sim (about 24 PC's). I look after the sim software & set-ups on those. I also was part of a team that have built up 2x simulators, using orginal seats, yokes throttle quads etc. An Avro Shackleton sim, as Shacks flew from the base, & we have the only Mk3 thats flyable (now grounded, not enough crew left) as well as an Aermacchi MB326 sim, known here in South Africa as an 'Impala' trainer. Both sims are 2 seaters.
Oh, I almost forgot.. We are refurbishing a Frasca T-6 Harvard sim that was donated to the club. This sim was 1 of 3 sent to South Africa , in 1992, as an proceedural sim for the Air Force. They were nicknamed 'Tom, Dick & Harry' We got 'Tom' .

I'm also responsible to see that all our members & PC's have the same software, especially for our LAN.

So, thats me, not really generic stuff at all.
Oh, all sims installed into default directories, with UAC's right down.

& I also love the old propliners & older GA's, such as those from Bill Lyons & Milton, amongst others.

Cheers,
Robin
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby ftldave » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:59 am

We always hear the same rants about a new operating system - it's a cycle that repeats itself, over and over. I'm old enough to remember "I won't give up my Windows 98!" and "There ain't nothin' wrong with Windows XP". The term "Luddites" comes to mind. Sorry to tell you, everything in this world has a life cycle, including software. Windows 8 with one of the free, usable desktops like Classic Shell is fast, stable, and definitely a step up from Windows 7. I expect Windows 10 will have more improvements, better performance, and support for more modern hardware technologies. We're deploying Win8 to replace Win7 at the university where I work, and everyone's happy chappies. Moaning and carping about Microsoft Windows is a waste of energy. Might as well complain about alternating current and internal combustion engines - they (and Windows) are the standards. With Linux running on less than 2 percent of desktop computers after all these years and after all those Linux versions, that not-ready-for-primetime free operating system isn't going to take over the world in our lifetime. Like all software companies, Microsoft will continue to develop and release new operating systems: it's what they do, how they make their money. Gnash your teeth all you want, that's not going to change. And I'm sure those of us who enjoy the flightsim hobby will do just fine, regardless of the wacko fears and jeers about new operating systems like Windows 10.

P.S. Vista was fixed a long time ago, and runs very well on older (5+ year old pc's). A tainted brand, like Windows 8, sure, but carping about Vista is old news. It's slower than Windows 7 ... but its older, so no surprise. Many pc users who have machines that can't run Win7 because of lack of driver support can and do run Vista with no problems.
ftldave
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:47 am

Me?.... :think: ....

I stick firmly to MS DOS, and Sinclair BASIC... ;) ...!

10 LET A$ = "Fozz"
20 PRINT AT; 10,15; INK 2, PAPER 5; A$
30 BEEP 10,5
40 PRINT; "Have a Nice Day!"

....don't you just love it!... :lol: ... :lol: ...!

Paul.... :D ... :D ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby OldAirmail » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:02 am

Paul, if I remember right, you were always a high tech kinda guy.

You had the first Abacus when counting went past 10.

And many centuries later, you had the first high-tech abacus.

.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Blaunarwal » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:03 am

Fozzer wrote:Me?.... :think: ....

I stick firmly to MS DOS, and Sinclair BASIC... ;) ...!

10 LET A$ = "Fozz"
20 PRINT AT; 10,15; INK 2, PAPER 5; A$
30 BEEP 10,5
40 PRINT; "Have a Nice Day!"

....don't you just love it!... :lol: ... :lol: ...!

Paul.... :D ... :D ...!

I love this kind of humor :clap:

I'm sure you won't have stutters with nowadays i4770K OC @ 5.0 GHz with FS4 on MS-DOS 3.2 :lol:
Blaunarwal
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Steve M » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:28 pm

Jetranger.. I had controller issues Win 8.1 because this OS puts USB ports to sleep, calling itself a power saver. I had to get into the control panel and turn off this bullshit. (permanently) No more controller problems after that. And yes Win 10 is just another admission that they didn't think they got Win 8 right. So begat Win XP which begat vista which begat Win 7 which begat Win 8 which begat Win 8.1 which begats Win 10. And probably after beta it will be Win 10.1.
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby zswobbie1 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:56 am

lol... in the good old Speccy days, the sim worked, no mods needed, no forums, also, no scenery & no color... lol.
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:15 am

zswobbie1 wrote:lol... in the good old Speccy days, the sim worked, no mods needed, no forums, also, no scenery & no color... lol.

You berate our beloved Speccy 48, zs.... :( ....!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZX_Spectrum_graphic_modes

It displays beautiful colours, all eight of them, in 'standard' or 'bright' hue...>>>

..just don't get them all mixed up!.... ;) ...!

Also displays coloured Borders, Ink, and Paper!..... :dance: ...!

..and don't forget the wonderful sound that it produces, in various pitches and lengths: BEEP 20,3.... :clap: ...!

...and with a Zilog Z80 3.5 MHz processor and Sinclair BASIC language, it has a marvellous fool-proof operating system which only fails if you trip over the power pack which pulls the plug out of the back...Buggar!!.... :evil: ...!

Paul....I love my Speccies!....and Attic Attack.... :mrgreen: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Jetranger » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:21 am

Sooner probably than later people are goin' to get "fed -up" & tired of trying to figure out all these New operating systems they keep churning out and the time & frustration they spend doing it, when they've got better things to do with their time , and all this will be looked back 1 day, like the 8-Track Tape player, and cars that had Carburators !!

I myself plan on moving to the New Format Saturn and see how that works out !
Jetranger
Major
Major

Next

Return to Hardware