FSX on a laptop

Graphics Cards, Sound Cards, Joysticks, Computers, etc. Ask or advise here!

FSX on a laptop

Postby mick1 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:54 pm

I have searched for this info on the forum but much of it is years old. I'm looking for help choosing a new laptop that will enable me to run FSX w/ wide open sliders. Technology has grown so fast I can't believe today's laptops won't run FSX cleanly. I'm looking for info on which LT works the best (HP, Panasonic, Dell, etc), and what components I need to upgrade when ordering (memory, RAM, VRAM, etc) I'd prefer a built in CD drive but if I have to get an external, so be it. I plan to use an external HD for my add on library of planes, etc and just keep FSX on the laptop HD. I have Thrustmaster Flight Stick and Throttle that plug in via USB. I would like to add a dynamic ATC enhancement (any suggestions there, either?), and I'm thinking it'll come with Windows 8.1 OS.

I was heavy into FSX years ago but when my PC finally crapped out, I switched to a Mac, so my Iphone and other Apple products would "play nice" but I really miss FSX. I travel a lot, which is why I'm searching for a laptop v desktop rig.

I'd like to order a laptop "all in one package," and not have to piecemeal one with a board from this company, another from another company and have to worry about compatibility. I an looking for a 17" screen and the ability to plug the laptop into my larger (external) monitor at home. I'm hoping to tap the FSX Community for some ideas. Can anyone please help?
mick1
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: FSX on a laptop

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:34 pm

If you only want to fly FSX you don't need a high end gaming laptop.

You do need a very fast CPU and a very fast video card in the laptop.

And as FSX is a 32bit program you don't even need a lot of memory.

End of story.

On the other hand.....

You have a Mac. A laptop?

You said "I was heavy into FSX years ago ...".

That was years ago.

Why not buy into X-Plane. It'll run well on a Mac.
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby MASABI TROOPER » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:36 pm

Hi Mick, I have a Toshiba QOSMIO.................And work with three screens.................Its the best one...............There is no better one.

Very best regards

Bruno
Bruno (Trooper)
MASABI TROOPER
Captain
Captain

Postby mick1 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:28 pm

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I've tried X-Plane, but didn't really care for it. I have a desktop Mac, which is inconvenient for travel. I thought about a Mac laptop, but my experience is native Windows products don't play very well with Mac, so I wanted to get a dedicated laptop for FSX, Unreal Tournament, and my Trainz Simulator when I travel. (I'll also run MS Office on it. i have MSO for Mac but it really sucks).

When you say a fast processor and a fast video card, could I ask for numbers? What kinds of speed are we looking at? How much RAM would be optimal?

When I was into FSX years ago, I had a PC, and much has changed. The curse of time and age, I guess. After 30 some years as a PC user, I got tired of all the errors and problems with various Windows releases, hence the switch to Mac.
mick1
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby pete » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:56 am

8GB memory min. Just to add. Pretty standard these days.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby OldAirmail » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:37 am

I'm going to go along with Bruno - get a Toshiba Qosmio X70-AST3G26 laptop.

*If you order it today you can save yourself $950.*

If not, you still get a great laptop. it's just going to cost you $2,700.

This laptop, or one with the same setup, will not only work with FSX, but also with Prepar3d when it moves over to 64bit.

Laptop summary

Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ Processor

Windows 8.1

32GB DDR3L 1600MHz memory

3GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GTX770M with Optimus™ Technology

2.75TB (total): 256GB Solid State Drive (mSATA, SSD) + 1.0TB (5400 RPM, Serial ATA) + 1.5TB (5400 RPM, Serial ATA)

Blu-ray Disc™ Rewriteable (BD-RE) and DVD SuperMulti drive

FHD TruBrite® TFT LED Backlit Display with Intel® Wireless Display Technology

Intel® Dual-Band Wireless-N 7260 2x2 AC + Bluetooth® 4.0

Premium Frameless LED Backlit Raised Tile Keyboard with 10-Keypad (black)

Starting at 7.6 lbs

Alternately, you can use it as a guide to pick another laptop.

Personally, I wouldn't like a backlit keyboard. But then, I came over on the Mayflower.

.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Victory103 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:31 am

Great info above and I would probably consider the Toshiba. I also get to go on forced vacations with my job and needed to take my games with me. Currently running all my flight sims (FSX, DCS, F-BMS) on an ASUS G-series gaming 17" laptop with a Nvidia card. After all the standard fsx.cfg tweaks, I am still not running full right sliders but a good compromise by not always upgrading the drivers. Granted mine is a 2011/2 model, but agree even with with a baseline "gaming" machine you should have no issues running FS.

Also, keep in mind just how massive a 17" laptop is (including power supply), I went with a Pelican case to just to pack it for trips.
Victory103
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby hertzie » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:05 pm

I have for 4 years now an MSi GX740 and only replaced the HD with an SSD, which meant that starting full FSX Acceleration went from 5 minutes to 45 seconds. I also use a Thrustmaster and a separate HD with all my flightsim-files. I am retired and use it 30 weeks a year when on holidays. Works fine. The Quosmio is excellent, but costs almost twice as much as the MSi.
hertzie
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:55 pm

" Works fine. The Quosmio is excellent, but costs almost twice as much as the MSi."

I do have to agree with you, but that's the first time I've seen a laptop with an SSD AND two hard drives in it. Interesting.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby MASABI TROOPER » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:33 pm

Just one thing, before I installed FSX, I cleaned everything from the laptop including Windows 8 and installed windows 7 Professional.................That was the best idea...............No problems at all and everything works fine............

Kindly regards
Bruno
Bruno (Trooper)
MASABI TROOPER
Captain
Captain

Postby Fozzer » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:12 pm

When I purchased my new Tower Computer, ready loaded with Windows 8, the first thing I did was to remove all the useless "Apps" on the desktop screen, and run the computer in "Classic Windows XP/7 mode", and display all my files and folders in Classic Windows '98/XP mode, also with its "Classic Start Button" in the bottom left corner*!

That way, everything is simple, easy to get at, and makes sense to me!

No unnecessary fancy, frilly stuff, to clutter up my computer!

Paul... :mrgreen: ...!

* ...and handy piece of kit!...>>> http://www.classicshell.net/
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby MASABI TROOPER » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:21 pm

I agree with you Paul......................
:dance:
Regards
Bruno
Bruno (Trooper)
MASABI TROOPER
Captain
Captain

Postby Fozzer » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:34 pm

MASABI TROOPER wrote:I agree with you Paul......................
:dance:
Regards
Bruno

Ta, Bruno!.... :D ...

...that way I have the speed of Windows 8, together with the display simplicity of Windows XP/7...

Best of both Worlds!.... :dance: ...!

Paul.... :mrgreen: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby MASABI TROOPER » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:00 pm

Yes Paul, sometimes we have to do something intelligent to make things work better............hehe........ :violin: :dance:

Kindly regards
Bruno
Last edited by MASABI TROOPER on Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruno (Trooper)
MASABI TROOPER
Captain
Captain

Postby mick1 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:02 pm

Thank you all very, very much first, for the great info, and second, for not treating me like an idiot for asking what some would consider a "stupid" question. I'm an "older simmer" who just hasn't been able to keep up w/ all the tech changes the last few years but want to get back into FSX now that retirement is looming.

You folks just re-enforce my belief that this website and forum is home to the the most helpful and friendly people dedicated to the "old guRd" simmers as well as the "noobs" or those who aren't as keen on FSX as others.

Thank you all.

Mick
mick1
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Next

Return to Hardware