PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Graphics Cards, Sound Cards, Joysticks, Computers, etc. Ask or advise here!

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Postby jrbirdman » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:47 pm

I have a Dell Studio XPS 8000 and running windows 8.1. I was using my computer and it kept freezing up on me, so I did the typical scans (virus, malware and spyware etc) and nothing came up. Then I kept getting freezing and the dreaded BSOD saying various things but mostly Service System Error or whatever it's called. So I restarted and did a chkdsk, had the computer fix any errors. That worked for a bit but then I got those dang BSODs again. So I restarted again and went to the Dell Diagnostic Tool and ran it. It worked for a few minutes and then BOOM! My computer shut off! Now every time I try to start it, my usually white power light is a pulsing Amber, and won't even post (go into windows). I just have a black screen and my computer keeps going BEEEEEEP BEEEEEEP BEEEEEEP BEEEEEEP and keeps beeping! I tried pulling the memory and replacing it, no joy, same with the graphics card. The HDD is still good as I tested it. Any ideas on what's going on and how to fix it? If someone can give me an answer that works and fixes the problem, I will handsomely reward them! I'm desperate! As it stands now, I'm typing this on my iPhone! So please, help me!!! Best regards to all, Jeremy
jrbirdman
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Postby OldAirmail » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:27 pm

Sounds like a heat problem, or more likely now heat AND a bad power supply.

That computer is about 4-5 years old. Have you been blowing the dust out?

Of particular interest for heat problems due to accumulated dust are;
1) excessive dust in the power supply
2) excessive dust in the CPU fan/fins
3) excessive dust in the video card
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby SAM Hunter » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:38 pm

I hate to say this but you might be looking at a Hard drive issue, have you tried safe mode to see if you partial power up?

David <<q ...
"Remember, you don't fly a Helicopter. You feel her."
ImageImage
SAM Hunter
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby G.K. » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:54 pm

I recently had some hard drive issues. I ran chkdsk with repair, it trashed the file system and rendered the operating system useless. It would not boot in any shape or form......new HD and reinstalled OS. There is some stuff I might be able to read on the old HD but I'll need the right software to do it.

Google "chkdsk ruined my hard drive"
G.K.
Captain
Captain

Postby Capt_Cronic » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:14 am

the beep is a "POST" failure usually due to a hardware issue.

check your fans, includeing the fan in the psu

strip down the system to motherboard, cpu, memory and power supply, see if it powers up
without the long beep
ASUS P8Z77-VLK, I5-3570k @ 4.4ghz, G.SKILL 16gb 1600, GTX 570 2560MB GDDR5, 2x OCZ Vertex 4 128Gb SSD SATA 3,
WD 500GB SATA 3, ASUS DRW-24B1ST SATA 3, OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular, Samsung 52" lcd, Win 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
Capt_Cronic
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby ftldave » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:01 pm

Listen to the beeps. It's a Dell diagnostic code. How many long, how many short? Is the power light turning amber? You can probably determine what has failed if you pay attention to what it is doing, in detail, and look it up in the XPS 8000 manuals, all available online.
ftldave
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby 1olehippy » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:14 pm

Trish's Haven from Hardware Hell has been one of my favorites since 1999. All kinds of info there on beep codes, etc.
http://hardwarehell.com/

Dave
1olehippy
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby 1olehippy » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:34 pm

Go there. Click on "Motherboard Manufacturers/Vendors", select "Dell", then "Support/ Support by Topic", search "beep codes"
Clicking on "Understanding Beep Codes on a Dell Desktop PC" will give you an overview. You can easily go on from there.

Over the years, I found this site indispensable.

Dave
1olehippy
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby jrbirdman » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:51 am

From what I gathered by looking at the resource provided by 1olehippy, I have concluded based on what I have read that it is indeed my worst fear, a failed motherboard. That being said, I have ordered a new one and it should be here today. If it is indeed that Mr. Hippy , and after I replace my old with the new, I will either pay you or buy you one payware product of your choice (provided it doesn't break the bank lol). If not, we are back to square one. I do clean my computer of dust often. It's quite necessary when you live in the desert lol. SAM, I appreciate your imput but I can't currently start to go into Safe Mode. I will keep you guys posted on what happens. Kind regards, Jeremy
jrbirdman
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby EVVFCX » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:48 pm

Hiya,

I'd go for the graphics card/memory issue or not enough power to run the graphics card, this is exactly what I had with my pc if the additional power supply input to the card came loose.

In the end the card died on me.
Can you switch back to built graphics output if your motherboard has one.

regards

Steve
EVVFCX
Captain
Captain

Postby jrbirdman » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:51 am

Okay, so the problem is the motherboard and the RAM, it's toast. Now here's my problem, I need 8GB of DDR3 RAM that would fit a Dell XPS Studio 8000, and I am on disability and cannot afford it. Is there anyone that would be willing to help me perhaps? If so, I will repay them somehow. Thank you all so much for your time, help, and input. It means the world to me. Kindest regards, Jeremy

P.S. Steve, my board doesn't support built graphics output.
jrbirdman
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby zswobbie1 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:49 am

Hi Jeremy,
Sorry for what happened to you. I wish I can help.
It reminds me of a few years ago.. my CPU's fan was noisy, so I did what I thought was the right thing. I replaced it.
However, the CPU at the time was an AMD CPU (yup, some time ago). I removed the fan & replaced with the new, after putting heatsink paste on & switched on.

It booted into the BIOS, & everything lit up in red. The fan was ever so slightly the wrong size & blew the motherboard s well as ram.

That was for being too clever. All I ACTALLY has to do was just to clean the old fan!!
zswobbie1
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby jrbirdman » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:04 pm

zswobbie1 wrote:Hi Jeremy,
Sorry for what happened to you. I wish I can help.
It reminds me of a few years ago.. my CPU's fan was noisy, so I did what I thought was the right thing. I replaced it.
However, the CPU at the time was an AMD CPU (yup, some time ago). I removed the fan & replaced with the new, after putting heatsink paste on & switched on.

It booted into the BIOS, & everything lit up in red. The fan was ever so slightly the wrong size & blew the motherboard s well as ram.

That was for being too clever. All I ACTALLY has to do was just to clean the old fan!!

WOW! I never knew that could happen like that, my fan was very dirty, I've since cleaned it but that's very interesting to think that you had a similar problem and the fan caused both to die. I never considered that but now I will! Thank you so much for the information! That's invaluable to me! Now that I know that, I'll keep a sharper eye on my fans!!
jrbirdman
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby EVVFCX » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:54 pm

Hi Jr,

Have a look at Crucial Memory/Technology's tool for identifying your system to see the specs of the memory for your MB.

I couldn't be certain which was your PC on their list by using the manual selection.

Where in our world are you?

regards

Steve

ps ignore the above, I've found it.
EVVFCX
Captain
Captain

Postby jrbirdman » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:42 am

Thank you Steve, in Las Vegas, USA. Kind regards, Birdy
jrbirdman
1st Lieutenant