Multiple monitors

Graphics Cards, Sound Cards, Joysticks, Computers, etc. Ask or advise here!

Multiple monitors

Postby mcmc2222 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:52 pm

Hi

I am running a Toshiba with i7 processor 2.2GHZ and 6GB ram, NVIDIA G force graphics GT 525M.

I use my machine for work and gaming, but FSX is the only really hi res intense graphics game I run.

I am hoping to not have to update my machine, but want to use my laptop screen plus 2 or 3 other VGA displays for a good setup.

What are the cheap and or easy options to do this?

Graphics cards with multiple HDMI outputs are common for around the $100 mark...
mcmc2222
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Multiple monitors

Postby OldAirmail » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:36 pm

There are programs that let you use laptops, or other computers with FSX, but I don't have room to use them and therefor have never tried them.

Perhaps someone else can help there.

You can do a search on SimViation in the (more or less) top right side.

Or read my reply in Re: Reality check (FSX).

It may be more than you want to read, but you could check my posts for "monitors".

.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby G.K. » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:52 am

There will be a frame rate hit when running multiple monitors on 1 card. Running 4 monitors will be 4 times the work for the card. I don't know what your current FPS are but this could be an issue over heavy scenery...... Get the best card you can.

If you're considering stretching one window across multiple monitors you will have to consider the colour matching qualities of the monitors. It is very difficult if not impossible to match monitors from different manufacturers or even differing models. If they don't match it will look terrible

My solution for the framerate hit was to run 2 graphics cards, 1 for each monitor......You may not have that option on a laptop.

I use one monitor for external view and the other for cockpit panels, this negates the colour mismatch to some degree. The colour issue was appalling on my monitors
G.K.
Captain
Captain

Postby OldAirmail » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:18 am

Me bad. I missed the word laptop in your post. :oops:

That was probably due to your reference to "Graphics cards".

Unless you have a "Gaming" laptop, I wouldn't even consider trying it. And even then, I'd probably not consider it.

I was thinking of the reverse: using the laptop's monitor as a "flight instrument panel".

BTW - in the picture above, the middle and right monitors are the same ASUS model monitors.

The monitor on the left is a different monitor.

It took a while, as G.K. mentioned, to get it close to the other two.

The disparity in the picture is due to the fact that all three are horrible when looked at from an angle.

Fortunately sitting in the center it's not a problem.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Modlerbob » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:19 pm

From what I see here someone is way too deep into this stuff
Modlerbob
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:11 pm

Not me! :?

I can quit ANYTIME. :roll:

HONEST! :liar:
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Jetranger » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:40 am

Hey BOB, if ya think ol' Airmail is in deep with Simulation,,, wait till ya see this guys Simulator built in his Garage home built !

Now this is a simulator !! :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy2dm2I1O4Q[/youtube]
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby stephan » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:27 am

Unless someone is starving his family in order to pay for computer items to play a nice multiple monitor sim set up,there is no such thing as way too deep. We sim because we enjoy it.And if one enjoys increasing his system to make the experience even more lifelike,then more power to him.There is a page somewhere ( I forget which) where a fellow bought part of a F-16 fuse and added an real ejector seat,...has the helmet and all the bells and whistles along with special monitors and curved screens that makes his set up so realistic it is hard to believe its a sim set up.He wants to make one for a 777 now,and is looking to sell the F-16 for around $240,000.00 ! A LOT of greenery! But,if he has the cash to have fun and wishes to do so,let him be.He's not taking food from our mouths doing so. There was also an attic that was found ( and I dont know if the home owner passed away or what the reason was for the discovery) and in the attic was an exact space shuttle replica sim set up.Exact and perfect in every way. Who's to judge others when it affects you not.
stephan

Postby OldAirmail » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:14 pm

I don't look at Bob's comment as criticism. Envy, maybe. :D

But it is quite possibly for most people to get something similar.

In all, it took about two, to two and a half, years.

I started it one part at a time.

Unlike some of the people who pass through here asking if the Cray Super Quantum computer that they want to buy would be fast enough to run FSX. AND wanting to buy ONLY the best hardware to use with it.

I often spent weeks, or even months, deciding what I wanted.

And slowly, ever so slowly, I saved my money.

At Christmas time, and for birthdays I asked for "gift" debit cards.

After getting one thing, Id' start wondering what was the next "most important thing".

When did I buy? Mostly before Christmas. Often the best time for hardware sales.

I was in a slight rush because retirement. In one form or another it is coming down the pike.

To simpit, or not to simpit, that is the question....

I'm a kinetic person. I would much rather flip a switch, turn a knob, move a lever, or press a button.

If I had to use a keyboard, I wouldn't. I'd find something else to do with my time.

It's been about 46 years since I was actually behind a yoke in a Cessna 172. In all probability, I'll never be there again.

But this equipment helps. It makes it more real for me (and is a whole lot cheaper).

Looking at a screen and using a mouse & keyboard as the only input would bore me to tears.

Putting a lot more money into it wouldn't help me all that much.

We all have our own wants and needs. Mine are pretty much what you see.

Some want/need something like that in Jetranger's posting above.

For me, it'd be fun to have a good friend with that large, and complete, of a sim pit.

But I would rather go back home to my own sim.

As for those who want to use just an item or two - There's a lot of room for everybody, and there's no right, or wrong way.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Return to Hardware