PC for FSX

Graphics Cards, Sound Cards, Joysticks, Computers, etc. Ask or advise here!

PC for FSX

Postby Jarrett13 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:36 pm

Hi guys this is Jarrett, and i was thinking about getting a new PC for FSX. I think I will mainly be using hardware (saitek panels, yoke, etc.) and maybe a bit of add ons (a2a cessna and vatsim). I don't know much about PCs and don't want to spend to much money. What would be a reasonable price to run fsx good? I saw this computer http://www.ncix.com/detail/ncix-pc-explorer-r2-tier-f7-100041-1081.htm how good would this run FSX?

Thanks!
-Jarrett
Jarrett13
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: PC for FSX

Postby Blaunarwal » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:50 am

Hi Jarret

I fear it's not a good joyce for a FSX PC. The used AMD CPU is rather for office computers and the integrated graphic card doesn't seem to be very powerfull either. The price also says a lot. For this you may get an beginners computer.
If I was you, I'd take a Intel CPU which can be overclocked with as much cores as possible (affordable) and a descent gpu, like the Nvidia GTX 770 or better.

Regards

Dan
Blaunarwal
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Jarrett13 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:29 am

Hi Jarret

I fear it's not a good joyce for a FSX PC. The used AMD CPU is rather for office computers and the integrated graphic card doesn't seem to be very powerfull either. The price also says a lot. For this you may get an beginners computer.
If I was you, I'd take a Intel CPU which can be overclocked with as much cores as possible (affordable) and a descent gpu, like the Nvidia GTX 770 or better.

Regards

Dan

Thanks dan, then do you think a Alien ware computer with an i3 or 15 intel cpu would run it better? (Alienware X51)http://www.dell.com/ca/p/alienware-x51-r2/pd.aspx
Jarrett13
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Fozzer » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:37 am

An i5 will be very good.... :) ....

.....an i7 and you will be in 7th Heaven!..... :dance: ...!

FSX demands very fast Processors!

Paul.... :mrgreen: ...1
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Jarrett13 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:13 pm

Thanks everyone i think i will end up getting the Alienware X51 with the i7 cpu and the NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 745 with 4GB DDR3.
Do you think that would run good?

Thanks!
-Jarrett
Jarrett13
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Fozzer » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:31 pm

Jarrett13 wrote:Thanks everyone I think I will end up getting the Alienware X51 with the i7 cpu and the NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 745 with 4GB DDR3.
Do you think that would run good?

Thanks!
-Jarrett

I'll tell you what....Jarrett...

That sounds pretty good to me, especially as it uses the fast i7 processor.
Its a lot of money, but I think you have to spend money to get a Tower Computer to run FSX smoothly!
It appears to be close to my specs below, (and price), which I paid £650 for, and runs my FSX flat out, smoothly, with all the settings at max!
http://www.adventcomputers.co.uk/produc ... desktop-pc

...A Gaming Machine!.....and is perfect for all my other PC games!

It is my pride and joy for my FSX!... :dance: ...!

Good luck!

Paul... :D ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Jarrett13 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:55 pm

I'll tell you what....Jarrett...

That sounds pretty good to me, especially as it uses the fast i7 processor.
Its a lot of money, but I think you have to spend money to get a Tower Computer to run FSX smoothly!
It appears to be close to my specs below, (and price), which I paid £650 for, and runs my FSX flat out, smoothly, with all the settings at max!

...A Gaming Machine!.....and is perfect for all my other PC games!

It is my pride and joy for my FSX!... ...!

Good luck!

Paul... ...!

Thanks Paul, I think I am close to my decision.

Thanks!:)
-Jarrett
Jarrett13
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Blaunarwal » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:00 am

Hi Jarret

the advent computer from Paul seems to be the better decision I think, than the Alienware X51. PC from brands like Dell are always special in a way you can't replace something with 3rd party parts. The board has a special Dell geometry things like this. You certainly can't overclock the CPU. The i7 is very good. Paul says, with his system everything is running smooth at full settings. That's at least a good reason to buy the same.

My i7 is I think 3rd generation from 2012, surely not the latest. It's an i7 3770K. The K indicates I believe it can be overclocked. That's the reason I'm very happy with it. I run it at 4.3 GHz with an air cooler from Noctua. This brought a very fluent flight in FSX.
The other critical part is the GPU. I compared Pauls radeon hd7770 with my gtx 770. There's a huge difference in powerconsumption and performance. The GTX 770 is about double as fast.

http://www.hwcompare.com/14639/geforce-gtx-770-vs-radeon-hd-7770/

I had the GTX 570 before and it was a big difference only changing this part. The GTX 770 was bought a year ago. Then it was affordable to me. Today I could go a generation higher, 780 but the difference from the 770 is too small to spend money again for a new card.

I'm kind of user with tons of addons, AI, aircraft and sceneries. I always find places where my computer has to work hard. :mrgreen: I can not say, I run FSX always fluent with all sliders to the max. It flies good and sometimes stopps to load, especially approaching big sceneries. Using a SSD didn't bring me an advantage. So now I use it to boot the OS. That's an advantage.

Actually I'd select a system with a Intel Core i7-4770K and a GTX 770 or better GPU depending on the pricetag. As I have seen at the moment it's pretty difficult to get a high spec computer at reasonable price. Mostly you have to go for a brand like HP, Dell etc. which won't allow you to replace parts without loosing all garanty or it's even compact in a monitor, what is also a good thing but doesn't let you put in a high performance gpu.
Blaunarwal
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:19 am

Excellent advice from Blau regarding the Dell, HP, etc, in-house built, Tower Computers...
Very difficult to upgrade and modify.

It now comes down to how much you want to spend!

The previous link for my ADVENT DT3415 Computer, and its specs, was a dead link, so here it is again..>>>

It was a real bargain at the price, from PC World!

My previous computer was a FREE, year 2005, Dell BTX case Computer, with an Intel P4 Dual Core 2.8 GHz Processor and a nVidia 6600 GT Graphics card.
It was only let down with its small 350 Watt PSU and its DELL "BTX" Motherboard and case, making it difficult to upgrade with standard "ATX" components, but otherwise it was good for FS 2004, but struggled with FSX.
It finally died on me completely a year, or so, ago, and forced me to immediately finally splash out on a decent computer suitable to run FSX SMOOTHLY, so I aimed straight away for the Intel i7 Processor....and at an excellent price!... :D ...!

All the internal parts are upgradeable as required, but it runs OK as it is...so no fiddling about!... :dance: ...!

It is so much more enjoyable when you finally get a Computer that will run your Flight Sim and all your computer Games flat-out...JOY!... :D ...!

I could have built another computer from scratch, like I have always done in the past, but it was actually cheaper to purchase a complete, ready-built, suitable computer, at a bargain price, and then upgrade it later, if necessary!

So go for a big ATX Tower case, fast i7 processor, a really good graphics card, plenty of memory, and a big PSU to run it all.....sorted!.... :dance: ...!

....and for reliability, don't fiddle about with over-clocking it!!

Paul... :mrgreen: ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Blaunarwal » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:40 am

Fozzer wrote:Excellent advice from Blau regarding the Dell, HP, etc, in-house built, Tower Computers...
Very difficult to upgrade and modify.

It now comes down to how much you want to spend!

The previous link for my ADVENT DT3415 Computer, and its specs, was a dead link, so here it is again..>>>

It was a real bargain at the price, from PC World!

My previous computer was a FREE, year 2005, Dell BTX case Computer, with an Intel P4 Dual Core 2.8 GHz Processor and a nVidia 6600 GT Graphics card.
It was only let down with its small 350 Watt PSU and its DELL "BTX" Motherboard and case, making it difficult to upgrade with standard "ATX" components, but otherwise it was good for FS 2004, but struggled with FSX.
It finally died on me completely a year, or so, ago, and forced me to immediately finally splash out on a decent computer suitable to run FSX SMOOTHLY, so I aimed straight away for the Intel i7 Processor....and at an excellent price!... :D ...!

All the internal parts are upgradeable as required, but it runs OK as it is...so no fiddling about!... :dance: ...!

It is so much more enjoyable when you finally get a Computer that will run your Flight Sim and all your computer Games flat-out...JOY!... :D ...!

I could have built another computer from scratch, like I have always done in the past, but it was actually cheaper to purchase a complete, ready-built, suitable computer, at a bargain price, and then upgrade it later, if necessary!

So go for a big ATX Tower case, fast i7 processor, a really good graphics card, plenty of memory, and a big PSU to run it all.....sorted!.... :dance: ...!

....and for reliability, don't fiddle about with over-clocking it!!

Paul... :mrgreen: ...!

Well overclocking isn't that difficult anymore. I found a guide on the internet for my Z77 board bios. A few tries over 4.3 GHz showed, this wasn't stable for my rig. This varies from CPU to CPU and memory I think. I run it for two years now. The first months at 3.5 GHz, the original frequency for this CPU. FSX performs a lot better now with higher rate. There are geeks, able to overclock this cpu to 8 GHz according to CPU-Z program. Maybe they cool with liquid Nitrogen :D I can hardly believe, this can be used to fly with a stable system.

I bought my computer once as a package. Two years ago I bought just components, CPU and board, memory and drives and continued to use the old GPU, which I replaced a year later. This way I could get what I wanted and it was like in times, when I for the first time reassembled a small motorped. You feel like Frankenstein, bringing it to life. :o
Blaunarwal
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:29 am

.... :D ....!

Blau... ;) ...!

I'm sure I could fit a belt-driven Shorrocks Supercharger, fed with copious quantities of Nitromethanol, to my 98cc Yamaha, 12 HP, 2-stroke motorcycle....
...but I've got a funny idea that the engine wont last anywhere near as long as the good folks at Yamaha intended it to... :( ...!

If I want a more powerful Motorcycle...I always purchase a more powerful Motorcycle...and then leave it alone!.... :D ...!

Paul.... :lol: ... :lol: ... :lol: ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Blaunarwal » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:14 am

Paul, your 98cc Yamaha doesn't stutter the way it comes out of the factory :D
Blaunarwal
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Jarrett13 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:47 am

Hi Jarret

the advent computer from Paul seems to be the better decision I think, than the Alienware X51. PC from brands like Dell are always special in a way you can't replace something with 3rd party parts. The board has a special Dell geometry things like this. You certainly can't overclock the CPU. The i7 is very good. Paul says, with his system everything is running smooth at full settings. That's at least a good reason to buy the same.

My i7 is I think 3rd generation from 2012, surely not the latest. It's an i7 3770K. The K indicates I believe it can be overclocked. That's the reason I'm very happy with it. I run it at 4.3 GHz with an air cooler from Noctua. This brought a very fluent flight in FSX.
The other critical part is the GPU. I compared Pauls radeon hd7770 with my gtx 770. There's a huge difference in powerconsumption and performance. The GTX 770 is about double as fast.

http://www.hwcompare.com/14639/geforce- ... n-hd-7770/

I had the GTX 570 before and it was a big difference only changing this part. The GTX 770 was bought a year ago. Then it was affordable to me. Today I could go a generation higher, 780 but the difference from the 770 is too small to spend money again for a new card.

I'm kind of user with tons of addons, AI, aircraft and sceneries. I always find places where my computer has to work hard. I can not say, I run FSX always fluent with all sliders to the max. It flies good and sometimes stopps to load, especially approaching big sceneries. Using a SSD didn't bring me an advantage. So now I use it to boot the OS. That's an advantage.

Actually I'd select a system with a Intel Core i7-4770K and a GTX 770 or better GPU depending on the pricetag. As I have seen at the moment it's pretty difficult to get a high spec computer at reasonable price. Mostly you have to go for a brand like HP, Dell etc. which won't allow you to replace parts without loosing all garanty or it's even compact in a monitor, what is also a good thing but doesn't let you put in a high performance gpu.

Thanks Blaunarwal, I think now I will get that one (better price, better for fsx).
Thanks!
-Jarrett
Jarrett13
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Jarrett13 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:33 pm

Hi this is Jarrett and I have one more question. Would the http://www.adventcomputers.co.uk/produc%20...%20desktop-pc be able to run the http://www.fspilotshop.com/flight-training-cockpit-advanced-panel-p-4693.html advanced panel? I think it should but am not sure. I read on the saitek website for a similar product (fully equipped cockpit) the you needed:http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/cpfull.html
A CPU from the i7 series
8GB RAM
A Video Card from the NVIDIA GTX 650 series or AMD R7 265 and above
Would it work or should i get another computer (with a NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 745 with 4GB DDR3 graphics card (alienware x51http://www.dell.com/ca/p/alienware-x51-r2/pd.aspx)?

Thanks
-Jarrett
Jarrett13
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Hardware