Matrox2go

Graphics Cards, Sound Cards, Joysticks, Computers, etc. Ask or advise here!

Matrox2go

Postby N6GK » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:35 pm

I have a matrox 2 go hooked up, and it is working, but it seem that I can't zoomout far enough to see the gages below. I heard that you might be able to open a fill and make a change so I can zoom out.
thanks
N6GK
Don
N6GK
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Matrox2go

Postby E-Buzz » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:57 pm

Hi N6GK,
While I do not have, nor any experience with, the matrox hardware, I have run 3 montiors in Eyefinity and I think I may know what you're experiencing (or not).
Before you hooked up the matrox, how did FSX look? Were you running 4:3 aspect monitors or 16:9?

Check your fsx.cfg and look for the line that says something like "wideview = FALSE" (I'm sorry, the exact wording may not be right - doing this from memory).

BACKUP YOUR CFG FILE BEFORE MAKING ANY CHANGES!

If it says "wideview=FALSE," change FALSE to TRUE and save your changes.

Start FSX and see if your view has changed for the better. If not, or has gotten worse, you should either go back into the cfg file and put FALSE back in, or just replace with your saved backup copy. This will put you back where you started.

What this cfg entry does is change the view aspect ratio in FSX to try and match your monitors. My feeling is even if your monitors are 4:3 (non-wideview) and you have now changed that with the addition of the matrox in order to have multiple monitors (that is what you're doing. right? If not, then forget all that I've written), you have in effect "widened" your view.

I had to do the exact same thing when I switched to Eyefinity.

Let me know if this helped.

E-Buzz
E-Buzz
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby N6GK » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:50 pm

Buzz,
thanks for the reply, I had my 3 monitors set up so if I went to views, and opened a cockpit view for the left and right screens then try to line it all up it sort of worked. That why I went to Matrox2go. You were asking what
I was using, it 16.9.
I do have a question, I don'tseem to be able to find fsx.cfg, or wideview
N6GK
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby E-Buzz » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:34 pm

N6Gk,

I need to say this before you decide to change anything in your fsx cfg:

If you have never seen or edited this file, or if you are at all uncomfortable or really have no idea what you are doing, then I suggest you do not.
While it is relatively easy to do, it's also easy to really muck things up in there to the point where fsx becomes unusable, won't load, or crashes.
I also suggest that you do some searches on this forum (and some others) on how to edit your fsx cfg until you feel comfortable.
Just so you know, I'm still somewhat of a noob (and a boob) with fsx, and my advice isn't always the best, but the good news is that are plenty of others here who can chime in and help you who have LOADS more experience and better advice - that's how I learned ;)

Anyway, before editing (probably even before opening) the fsx cfg, MAKE A COPY AND PLACE IT SOMEWHERE YOU CAN ACCESS IT TO USE AS A REPLACEMENT IF YOU MAKE A MISTAKE!
I have a good copy of my latest tweaked fsx cfg on my desktop just for that purpose...

The good news is that if you were to REALLY mess up the cfg file, you can delete the fsx cfg and FSX will rebuild the cfg file next time you run FSX. It will be a "stock" version, so any add-ons or gauges, etc., will have to be "Trusted" again when you, for example, choose an add-on aircraft to fly. And, all of your tweaks will not be in there.

If I haven't scared you yet, here goes:

Because the fsx cfg file is hidden, in Win7 you first have to make sure "Hidden" files and folders are set "Show hidden files, folders and drives":

In case you don't know how to do this:
START - > CONTROL PANEL - > FOLDER OPTIONS - > VIEW. That will get you the pic above.

After you have done that, go to:
START - > (YOUR NAME) - > AppData - > Roaming - > Microsoft - > fsx cfg.
Double-click fsx cfg and it should automatically open with Notepad.

You should then see something like this (your entries will be a bit different, as I have tweaked my cfg):

In this shot, the entry "WideViewAspect" is about 3/4 the way down.

Change it from False to True. Delete "False" and type in True. IF THE ENTRY ALREADY SAYS TRUE, STOP, CLOSE THE FILE AND IF YOU MADE NO CHANGES (which you shouldn't have if you stopped when I said STOP), DON'T SAVE!
If the entry is already set to True, then changing it to False will not help you with this particular problem.

Again, I'm no expert and I do not own nor use matrox so, I hope someone here does and has and can give better advice for your problem.

The good news is that if you end up being comfortable with editing the fsx cfg file, there are some changes that can (but not always) improve your sim experience.

Good luck and let me know if you have any success.

<<v

E-Buzz
E-Buzz
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby N6GK » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:23 am

ok, GUESS I am a boob also, I can get to the first part, but where you say to go to start and name I don't seem to find that.
Sorry to bother you so much
N6GK
N6GK
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby N6GK » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:37 am

Buzz, well I figured it out, I changed to to True, but it had no change. then I tried to shut down computer and still no change. I put it back to False and no change.
Think I % of zooming Did not find that either.
So, thanks for helping.
N6GK
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby E-Buzz » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:56 pm

Sorry that didn't work out for you, but I'm glad you figured out how to check, find and modify your fsx cfg.

Maybe check out any matrox forums that have FSX in the subject matter... And/or do a quick web search for matrox and FSX? There have to be others that have experienced what you are now, and figured a way to fix it.

Good luck! O0

E-Buzz
E-Buzz
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby N6GK » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:26 pm

Thanks, I have contacted Matrox and waiting for a reply.
Maybe you can help with another problem. I am trying to find out if there is a key for the wipers. Looking at maybe setting up a switch panel instead of the keyboard.

Don
N6GK
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby E-Buzz » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:58 am

Sorry I haven't responded sooner. :oops:

That is outta my league - I have no idea, but I bet a bunch if others do!
Maybe post this question separately and you'll get an answer?

Good luck!

E-Buzz
E-Buzz
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Steve M » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:53 pm

I ran Matrox in FSX windowed mode, Stretched to fit screens and adjust seat up or down. (I think its shift/enter and shift/- ) I really had no need to change anything else except screen resolution in windows control panel and match that with resolution in FSX control panel.
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby N6GK » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:04 am

Steve,
Thanks I will give that a try, and let you know
N6GK
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Hardware