Please Advise Me

Graphics Cards, Sound Cards, Joysticks, Computers, etc. Ask or advise here!

Please Advise Me

Postby manuel2715 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:03 pm

I bought a gaming computer. The only reason that I bought it is to use Flight Simulator X, But as I excpected I want to do an upgrade so I can add scenery,weather,traffic,etc... etc...
This are my specs:
RAM 4.00 gb DDR3
Windows 7 64 bits
AMD A-4 6300 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 3.70 GHZ
Video Card is Radeon 6450 1gb.
I think i need a better video card and more RAM memory. What can i do. Please advise. Thanks for helping
manuel2715
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Please Advise Me

Postby OldAirmail » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:02 pm

Did you buy this a long time ago?

That graphics card is way out of date.
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Capt_Cronic » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:10 pm

I hate to give you bad news but that cpu is mid grade at best and your video card is really low end.
the best improvement you can get will be a better video card.

fsx is really cpu intensive. even with a better video card, you wont get good performance without turning down most of the in game graphics settings.
ASUS P8Z77-VLK, I5-3570k @ 4.4ghz, G.SKILL 16gb 1600, GTX 570 2560MB GDDR5, 2x OCZ Vertex 4 128Gb SSD SATA 3,
WD 500GB SATA 3, ASUS DRW-24B1ST SATA 3, OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular, Samsung 52" lcd, Win 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
Capt_Cronic
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:30 pm

The CPU isn't all that bad for FSX.

It came out in July 2013. And the speed runs from 3.7 GHz in normal use, up to 3.9 GHz in turbo mode.

Any way that you look at it, it's better than an Core i7-950 at 3.07 GHz in so far as FSX is concerned.

So in that respect, I think you're ok.

In so far as most other modern games go, it's not so hot.

But it should be fine for your purposes.

As to the graphics card, let me ask two questions;

* What wattage power supply do you have?

*How much do you want to spend on a new graphics card?

For your purposes you may be surprised how much you'll have to spend.

Careful selection has to be made taking into consideration your CPU & motherboard. No use buying something that your system can't take advantage of.

Memory is another thing to consider. Technically FSX can't even use the full 4 GB that you have. BUT you system will work better with a bit more memory.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby manuel2715 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:00 pm

Oldairmail if the computer was yours what components do you keep and what do you buy to make it better. i dont want an airplane in my house but i want something good... I dont have a budget limit but i dont want to abuse
manuel2715
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:42 am

As I said, your CPU speed is OK for FSX if not for more demanding games.

MEMORY
As to the memory - Technically FSX can't use more than 4 GB because it's a 32 bit program.

But that's true ONLY technically.

First off, your computer needs memory to run in. There are a lot of programs and tips on how to reduce the amount of memory that your OS needs.

But why try so hard to reduce your system to the minimum needed to operate? Memory isn't that expensive.

SIDE NOTE - Before getting into recommended components, let me say that some people make getting the FASTEST POSSIBLE whatever a major part of their life. But as soon as you buy the fastest whatever it'll soon be outperformed be some other company. I usually look for, and buy, the best that fits my needs and wallet.

You didn't list your motherboard, but I'm willing to bet that it'll work best with paired memory.

So simply adding memory on top of what you already have may not be the best way to go.

For memory I have two sets of G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB for a total of 16 GB.

The Ripjaws Series memory that I have isn't the fastest that they make BUT it works VERY well with my system. Many motherboard companies will list memory that has tested well with each of their motherboards.

I have a lot of add on support programs running alongside my flight sim. Sometimes it's overkill. And sometimes not.

Many people will only need 8 GB though.

VIDEO CARD
As to the video card, most people have their favorites. Again - IGNORE the "Best" & Fastest". Get something that will work with your system.

I chose the ASUS Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 because it was designed to operate three monitors (although it will support more if done right).

When I bought my first Radeon HD card with Eyefinity, NVIDIA didn't have a cheap multi-monitor card.

Careful checking at the time showed that my system would not take FULL advantage of a Radeon HD 69xx series card. But my system is probably older than yours.

Another thing about video cards - the 256-bit bandwidth on that card makes for a VERY VERY noticeable difference. And that DDR5 RAM (GDDR and DDR on a graphics card is the same thing) helps me to do what I do with my multi monitor setup.

If you can get a video card with 2 GB of DDR5 at 256 bit, OR BETTER, you might be able to reuse that card on your next computer.

SSD
Recently I bought a used Transcend Information 256GB SATA III SSD for about $90-$95. It works as well as the Samsung SSD that cost almost twice as much. If there's any speed difference between the two, I can't see it.

Read HARDWARE, HARDWARE, HARDWARE to see my half a$$ed review. If you fly often it'll make a BIG difference in load time.
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby manuel2715 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:52 pm

thanks for all the help... so resuming all that you said to me, I need 16gb ram 2 x 8..... one of the video cards that you send me in the private message... and that should be it.... Another thing my processor is a AMD A-4 6300 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 3.70 GHZ..... should i keep it? Thanks for all your help and patience
manuel2715
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:19 pm

You would probably do ok with 8GB of ram.

The reason that I have 16 GB is that I (almost) always run Plan-G, OpusFSX, a flight sim instrument panel software for the two 9" monitors (old software, I wouldn't really recommend it any longer), usually a web browser for aircraft/ location info, etc.

I bought my ram when it was on sale. I'd suggest getting 8GB now and see how well you do. There's a free program All CPU Meter that'll help you keep track of some key statistics.

In so far as the CPU goes, that depends on what other software/games that you run. For FSX it should be fine.

For playing Battlefield 4, listed as one of the most demanding games, well.... Don't even try it. :lol:

Your CPU is actually faster than my i5 2400K in raw speed, and I do well enough. What I totally lack is enough speed to capture videos of my flights. With my lack of artistic capabilities that's ok. :D

If you find that you do want a better CPU you'll have to check your motherboard recommendations. A good place to get great prices is Pricewatch

With a few tweaks here and there you should be able to really enjoy FSX.

There are plenty of variables involved in setting up a good system, and each of us has our own preferences. I try to get stuff that is (at the time) just a little above average.

And every few years I'll start replacing parts until I have a "new" computer again.

Others want the BEST. And every year or two have to buy a new computer.

Just look at some of the pictures in the Simviation Screenshots Showcase, like Random Nation!, or Pretty in Pink...NOT What You Think!.

This guy is the Leonardo da Vinci of flight sim pictures. I can't stand it anymore, he keeps making the rest of us look bad. :evil:

I've got a hit team after him, but don't let hi know about it.

.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Bass » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:34 am

Well, i'm going to leave the hit team and trying make a new one!!!
This new team will not take anything from Skunk or Chuck to be that superior as showed.
That new team will fight back with any armour available :whistle:

Wanna join in OAM ;)
"Just try to be YOU"!............ Kurt 

System. GA-X58A-UD3R, i7-950QC, Corsair XMS3 18GB 2000, GTX 780 tf 3GB, Corsair CMPSU-850, 24 BenQ 120, TM Hotas cougar, win7 pro.
Bass
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:16 am

I dono, Kurt. :think:

Maybe I should just take some art classes.

Who knows, in another 60 years I might learn something?
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Return to Hardware