My Computer's Demise.....

Graphics Cards, Sound Cards, Joysticks, Computers, etc. Ask or advise here!

Re: My Computer's Demise.....

Postby Blaunarwal » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:13 am

I'm sorry to hear that. How about going over to Prepar3D v2? Why wasting time with FS9. That's really over now, after FSX has a really better successor.

It's so much better than FSX now. Finally my overclocked i7 Processor makes sense. FSX allways had blurry textures. I only flew it to use my ORBX sceneries. After some Google search I found a way to install the ORBX sceneries to P3D.
http://airdailyx.blogspot.ch/2013/11/a-guide-for-installing-orbx-scenery.html I'm actually doing a lot of work to get it run. I will only miss Shade in P3D. Unfortunately, this addon can not be used in P3D.

Dan
Blaunarwal
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:48 pm

Blaunarwal wrote:...

.... I'm actually doing a lot of work to get it run. ....

Dan

You and a lot of people.

I do think that you're right. In a way.

But also that you're wrong in a number of ways.

There are too many people with problems, and unfortunately, the Prepar3d V2 team can't answer a great many of those problems.

Or rather, the answer that they have for those that they can't help, falls into two categories;

1 - "Prepar3d is written for the future computers, you'll need to upgrade your computer." And in many cases that is correct.

Unfortunately, that statement is false. There are people running P3D V2 whose computers are well below mine (not to say that my system is a high end gamming computer :D ).

2 - But there are a fairly large number of people, with computers, like mine, that exceed the minimum requirements, and still have major problems.

Of the people like me, who should be able to easily run Prepar3d V2, BUT CAN'T, their solution is to stop responding. They simply have no explanation.

My guess is that the executives higher up the corporate LM ladder wanted to see some movement. And this is the result - Not Ready For Prime Time.

So, where I do agree with you to some degree, I wouldn't recommend buying it yet.

Give the LM Prepar3d team some time to resolve most of those problems.

There is another way in which I, now, disagree, where 6 months ago I wouldn't have done so.

It amazes me how much better FSX is becoming due to the add-ons this past year.

The ground and atmosphere are so much better, I can hardly believe it.

The add-on flight gear all work, and unlike Prepar3d V2, my multi-monitor (6 screens in all) setup works fantastically well. AND without any stutters or flashes.

So until LM can straighten out, at least MOST of their current problems, my copy of Prepar3d V2 will sit unused on my hard drive.

Until then I can easily live with this (with high FPS);

As opposed to this (no scenery);

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:12 pm

I think I've spent enough time and money on FSX (and FS 2004) to stick with it for a while...
With my FTX Global and UT USA+Europe, etc, the scenery I see below me looks fine, and exploring ground scenery in the Flight Sims is the only thing I am really interested in... ;) ...!

Paul..The Explorer.... :D ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Blaunarwal » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:35 pm

I had to install all my ORBX products and now it works in Prepar3D v2. The Objectflow.dlls aren't running yet, that's a pity, but I can live with it. Unfortunately my FSX isn't stutter free, after a short flight the textures become completely blurry and when I approach an airport, the sim stutters. After the airport is loaded well, the ground textures remain blurry for some minutes staying on the same place. I optimized fsx.cfg up an down and never got a breack through. The best effect had my new GTX 770, although the old 570 wasn't running on 100%. I should mention here, the system and FSX do fine, when I switch off all traffic. But, I like seeing some other planes around. That makes the sim really realistic.
Prepar3d v2 does it better. I don't know how old the computers are, some people encounter problems with. With my rig (i7 3770K OC to 4.3GHz, 16 GB, DDR3-1600, Asus Sabertooth Z77, LGA1155, PCI-E 3.0, SATA III 2x1TB Western Digital Caviar Black, 7200rpm, 64MB,1x500GB SAMSUNG SSD 840, Asus GTX-770 DirectCU II 2GB GDDR5, Win7/64 SP1) it works well, but FSX not. I run FSX on the SSD drive solely, Prepar3d has one of the SATA III, but connected to a 3G SATA connection, since the 6G are already used for the system disk and the FSX disk. I think the LM guys do a very good job on this old MS software and for me, the point to switch had come, when I could use the ORBX sceneries.
Blaunarwal
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:02 pm

Fozzer wrote:...

... the scenery I see below me looks fine, and exploring ground scenery in the Flight Sims is the only thing I am really interested in... ;) ...!

Crank up the details on that new computer of yours, Paul.

Flying low an slow as you do, you should be able to see the cowboys riding herd now.

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:38 pm

OldAirmail wrote:
Fozzer wrote:...

... the scenery I see below me looks fine, and exploring ground scenery in the Flight Sims is the only thing I am really interested in... ;) ...!

Crank up the details on that new computer of yours, Paul.

Flying low an slow as you do, you should be able to see the cowboys riding herd now.

https://www.simviation.com/phpupload/upl ... 311182.jpg

Yee-haaa!...You bet!... :lol: ...!

With my FTX Global and UT USA I never cease to be amazed at just how accurate my California Scenery is, with reference to Google Satellite Maps, Terrain relief maps, and local photographs, etc...!
The Flight Sim design Chaps living in Silicon Valley must have been very aware of their local scenery when they programmed it!
I know almost every inch of that scenery now after flying it every day for the past 15+ years, (since Flight Unlimited II/FS '98!).... :D ...!
Its wonderful navigating VFR flights when I know the surrounding scenery so intimately!

And with everything maxed, the scenery passes by silky SMOOTH now!... :dance: ...!

I love flying low and slow...but it is very dangerous, following an engine failure at low altitude!

..that's when Flight Sim Invincibility pays-off... :lol: ...!

Paul....Following the traffic on Highway 101.... :mrgreen: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby waspiflab » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:02 pm

bugger wish I had got there sooner I could have built you this

£695.84 inc

:( never mind enjoy your new toy ;)
waspiflab
Captain
Captain

Postby Fozzer » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:27 pm

Never fear...

The whole i7-3770 tower system cost a me mere £680 ...(Curry's/PC World)...>>>

http://www.adventcomputers.co.uk/produc ... desktop-pc

Not bad going for its specification!

Paul... :mrgreen: ...!

P.S. The Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower was extra... ;) ....
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby matty7475 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:14 pm

Fozzer,

Have had to go the same route as you with a new 64 bit PC.
Just out of interest did you install in the root drive or in the x86 folder? Will shortly be going through a complete reinstall and I'm reading so much about this its beginning to scare me a bit.
Any thoughts on this one?

Thanks.
matty7475
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Fozzer » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:34 pm

matty7475 wrote:Fozzer,

Have had to go the same route as you with a new 64 bit PC.
Just out of interest did you install in the root drive or in the x86 folder? Will shortly be going through a complete reinstall and I'm reading so much about this its beginning to scare me a bit.
Any thoughts on this one?

Thanks.

Hello Matt.... :D ....

I installed FSX and FS 2004, etc, direct to my C:/ drive, to avoid any possible; "administrator permissions" problems when trying to edit files!

My other various bits and bobs I often install to "Program Files", 'cos its easy to un-install them from there, via the Windows; "Control panel"..(un-install).

Good luck with all your bits and bobs!... :D ...!

Paul.... :mrgreen: ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Previous

Return to Hardware