Easy to understand PC requirements

Graphics Cards, Sound Cards, Joysticks, Computers, etc. Ask or advise here!

Re: Easy to understand PC requirements

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:20 pm

Let us know how your flight sim works.

I'm betting that it'll be a just a little bit better. :lol: :lol: :lol:
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:29 pm

G.K. wrote:The new PC is now up and running. Quite painless but there was some swearing. The I/o port cover (thin sheet metal thing on the back) was a right pain to fit.

The old mobo was an Asus a7n8x deluxe. It had ide and sata sockets, my old hard drives were sata, the CD drives were ide. Not a major problem a new sata DVD drive was 18 quid.

New machine is currently doing a windows update. Next is to install zone alarm and avg anti virus then I'm ready for busine

Sent from a nexus 7

G.K...

It appears that you are more proficient at typing very long messages on a Android Nexus 7 built-in, screen keyboard, than me.

I'm still figuring out a way to "pair" my full size, computer, QWERTY wireless keyboard, with my Nexus 7, so that I can type with a proper keyboard with big keys, (with "arrow keys" and "delete" keys, and "number" keys, etc).

The alternative is one of these...>>> http://www.androidcentral.com/minisuit- ... xus-7-2013

Paul....I cant cope with little "Fiddly" keys!... :mrgreen: ...!

...that's why I cant, refuse to, use a Mobile Phone!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby G.K. » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:39 pm

LoL...know what you mean about the nexus keyboard/phone, I've got fat finger syndrome too.

Bought my wife a Bluetooth keyboard for Chrimbo. Bluetooth is the only type that'll work with the nexus as far as I know.

Tomorrow I'll install fsx and all the gubbins that goes with it. That'll take a while.
G.K.
Captain
Captain

Postby G.K. » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:44 am

No graphics card, I'm using the mobo onboard graphics.
Installed FSX Deluxe, SP1, SP2 and used Bojotes automatic FSX config tool.
Sliders MAXED out on everything, res at 1280x1024......

For some reason some of the aircraft haven't installed :?

Using the default Friday Harbour flight in a DC3 with the framerates set at 30 I'm getting a steady 30fps :D

No stutters or blurries that I've noticed. Lens flare and bloom do knock the frp down a bit and there is a slight shimmering of textures and trees.....I'm putting this down to the lack of decent graphics card.

Very pleased with this. :D :D No doubt further cfg tweaking will help. Unsure what tweaks to make for a 64 bit system.

I've got a few add ons to load and was thinking of installing GameBooster, would this help with my hardware.
G.K.
Captain
Captain

Postby Fozzer » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:47 am

G.K.... :D ...!

I still use Game Booster before I fire up my Sims... ;) ....!

If you still have you old, Freeware IOBit Game Booster "install.exe" Folder on you old HDD, drag it onto your new HDD and install it again*, 'cos I've got a funny idea that the new IOBit Game Booster is owned by someone else now, and has become Payware!
*It worked for me!
I tend to KEEP my old Install Folders saved, just in case I want to re-install "Stuff" again!

Paul.... :mrgreen: ...!

Do you know what?...my snazzy new i7 'puter runs so silky-smooth now at max settings, that I haven't even thought of checking the Frame Rates so far!.... :shock: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby OldAirmail » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:10 pm

You two guys have caught up, and passed, all of the FSX limitations that existed when it was first released.

My system is older/slower than what you guys have, and I have almost all the sliders pushed to the far right.

The main change that I have is the AffinityMask change in fsx.cfg.

Install the All CPU Meter gadget to your desktop before you make the AffinityMask change, so you can see a before & after of CPU usage.

It's a lot of fun to see FSX start using ALL of your CPU cores. :D

For the Windows 8 crowd.

.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:11 pm

I am an Apps freak when it comes to desktop gadgets in Windows and Android.... :dance: ....

..but my "IOBit Game Booster" makes sure that they are all disabled to stop them from running in the background and slowing my game down whilst I am blasting the invading Aliens in my new hyper-drive star ship... ;) ...!

Paul....Beam me up Scotty!... :mrgreen: ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby G.K. » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:56 am

Thanks for the tips guy:

Fozzer: I installed the latest version of Game Booster and as far as I can tell it's still free but you do have to register. It's now seems like quite an invasive piece of software, it boots up automatically every time I switch on the PC. I can probably switch it off when I've found the right button but I'm wondering if it's worth having? .... I may uninstall it.

Old Airmail: I doubt my machine surpasses FSX requirements yet as I don't have a sensible Graphics card. I am now bringing in part 2 of my overall plan, my birthday is in January :D . Thanks for the pointer re the Affinity mask tweak, I'll certainly give that a go.

I was reading up on the pros and cons of Crossfire last night. From what I can gather, the jury is out as to the merits of 1 top end card v's 2 mid range cards. A few sources reckon 1 good card is better, I think this will be the path I go down. 1 good card now and if I need it a second card in a couple of years when they're cheaper.
G.K.
Captain
Captain

Postby OldAirmail » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:06 am

I'm kind of busy at the moment. Four weeks just sitting around, and now a ton of stuff.

But just a quick note for now.

Trust me, Paul. With what you have that isn't going to be a problem anymore.

Your computer isn't really in the "SUPER" computer class, but it is much better than mine now.

Aside from the two desktop gadgets, weather & CPU usage, when I run FSX I have the following running.

FSX.
Up to 6 monitors.
G.A. Panel running flight instruments in two of the smaller screens
Plan-G
OpusFSX weather
TrackIR 5
One Saitek Instrument Panel (which is supposed to be CPU intensive).
SPAD as a Saitek controller/enhancer.

And usually a browser opened in the background, referencing my flying location.

And all that on an i5 2500 @3300 MHz. BOTH of you have better.

This is the way that my system "sees" the screen. The bottom left are the two 9" monitors. The far right extention is the DeskTop Aviator GPS.

IF you look closely, you'll see 9 items in the "system tray", plus the time/calendar icon.

My FPS is usually between 40 to 55 FPS. AND THAT is with most of the sliders moved far to the right.

If you aren't getting better FPS on a single monitor, you must have some serious problems.

.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:17 am

OldAirmail wrote:
.....Trust me, Paul. With what you have that isn't going to be a problem any more.

Your computer isn't really in the "SUPER" computer class, but it is much better than mine now.....

Jealous?.... ;) .. ;) ...!

But its almost as speedy as my super, high-speed, hyper-drive, Star Ship!

...just ask the Aliens!... ;) ...!

Paul.... Warp Drive engaged...Hang on!... :mrgreen: ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Bass » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:09 am

Fozzer wrote:
OldAirmail wrote:
.....Trust me, Paul. With what you have that isn't going to be a problem any more.

Your computer isn't really in the "SUPER" computer class, but it is much better than mine now.....

Jealous?.... ;) .. ;) ...!

But its almost as speedy as my super, high-speed, hyper-drive, Star Ship!

...just ask the Aliens!... ;) ...!

Paul.... Warp Drive engaged...Hang on!... :mrgreen: ...!

Sorry Rich, but i love it :lol: :lol:
"Just try to be YOU"!............ Kurt 

System. GA-X58A-UD3R, i7-950QC, Corsair XMS3 18GB 2000, GTX 780 tf 3GB, Corsair CMPSU-850, 24 BenQ 120, TM Hotas cougar, win7 pro.
Bass
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:31 am

Probably, why I'm so pleased with the SMOOTH performance, is because I only/mainly use the Flight Sim for exploring the wonderful FSX scenery with my maps, with whatever aircraft suits the purpose at the time....Baby Cessna Trainer, Microlight, Ultralight, Flexwing, Gyroplane, etc, mostly using the Mini Gauges, or no gauges at all, clear skies/weather, so the load on the system with add-ons/effects is at a bare minimum.... :D ...!

Paul....aka...Indiana Jones... :mrgreen: ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Previous

Return to Hardware