Memory

Graphics Cards, Sound Cards, Joysticks, Computers, etc. Ask or advise here!

Memory

Postby RAMPRAT » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:57 pm

I am looking to replace my standard 16GB of memory1333mhz with new G. Skill Sniper memory 4x4gb SDRAM DDR3 1866. Will this make a big difference in performance? OS Windows 7 Pro. Intel I-3570X OC to 3.9, Gigabyte Z77-HD3 MOBO, Corsair memory 16GB @1333Mhz, Radeon HD 7870 2GB GPU, 800W PSU, Multiple fans and liquid cooling for CPU.
RAMPRAT
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Memory

Postby OldAirmail » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:01 pm

It could be that I don't even try to have the fastest system possible. But when I have paid for faster memory, the benefits weren't all that apparent.

Assuming that I have enough memory, the 2 biggest boosts to my system performance have come from a very fast hard drive, and the fastest video card that I can (or am willing to) afford.

If you could buy ONLY one item, go for an SSD. You have a motherboard with SATA 3 built in. The speed improvement will be great.

And you don't even need to go the whole SSD route. There is a solution for only $60 (37.29 GBP). Read Faster, Faster, Faster.

As to the memory speed: I'm not sure that your MB will handle "PC3 14900"? It's rated at "DDR3 2800".

It may work, but the speed may be dropped down.

Now it's my turn. You have a Radeon HD 7870 2GB.

I have a Radeon HD 6850 with 1 GB DDR5. Do you think that a video card with 2GB is much better then a card with 1GB??
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Jetranger » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:48 pm

What I was told by a Proffesional systems builder with I think it was Jetstar, down in Florida, who builds Computers only for Flight Simulators,, is that FSX can only take up to 4 GB of Memory,,, anything past that or more than that won't do it any good.

but he said that was just for FSX, as far as any other programs, like paint programs or other software, he didn't say.

I'd think in my opinion, the more Memoey ram you have the better, if your going to be running other programs on top of flight simulator.

kinda like ya can't have too many Life Jackets as the ship is going down,,,, be my thoughts, but what do I know ?

anyways,,, thought i's pass it on.

dats my 3 cents worth !
Jetranger
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:33 pm

Yes. Even though FSX is limited in the amount of memory that it can directly use, your system will work better over all

One thing that you might have fun with is All CPU Meter

Image Image

This will let you check how many cores are being used, and how much work is being performed by each core. And at the top you can see how much memory is used/available.

VERY useful.

When running FSX I also have 2 small monitors, with a separate G.A. Panel screen in each.

I also have FSUIPC 4 running.

Add PlanG to the mix too.

And I wouldn't wasn't to fly without TrackIR.

There's no problem using more than 4 GB.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Return to Hardware