Help needed ( graphics card )

Graphics Cards, Sound Cards, Joysticks, Computers, etc. Ask or advise here!

Help needed ( graphics card )

Postby zeberdee » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:10 pm

Hi folks I have decided to get a new graphic card, but I don't know which one to get. Could some one point me in the right direction? My rig is : Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 motherboard AMD Phenom processor 4 Gig ram using Windows XP home, I am getting an 800Watt quad rail psu soon. The computer is used mainly for flight sim 2004 although I do play some other games. My flight sim has quite a bit of addon scenery both payware and freeware, the same for the aircraft. I am looking to spend aprox 100 GBP Many thanks in advance Chris
zeberdee
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: Help needed ( graphics card )

Postby OldAirmail » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:42 pm

"I am getting an 800Watt quad rail psu soon."

It sounds like you intend to upgrade your computer part by part?

If not, then that is far more power than you'll need. On the other hand I bought one like that a couple of years ago because it was on sale at a great price. But then, I knew that I would be replacing everything over time.

I looked up your mother board, the M5A78L-M, on NewEgg.

If you intend to keep that motherboard then the 4 things that you could replace to gain more speed are (in order);
1) SSD,
2) CPU,
3) Video card,
and
4) faster ram.

4) Faster ram on the motherboard has never given me any noticeable speed improvements. They are there, but the improvements brought about by first 3 will far exceed that of faster ram on the MB.

1) You don't need to go the whole SSD route. There is a solution for only $60 (37.29 GBP). Read Faster, Faster, Faster.

2) What speed is your CPU? If it's one of the slower Phenom processors, you might want to replace that. An AMD Phenom II X2 550 3.1GHz will only cost you $75 (46.62GBP).

3) Graphics Cards

It's funny, but many people have VERY strong beliefs (rational & irrational) concerning one brand or another for CPUs, motherboards, and graphics cards.

I'm rather pragmatic. I want whatever will give me the best speed at a price that I'm willing to pay. In so far as graphics cards are concerned, the AMD HD Radeon graphics card with Eyefinity have proven to be a great deal for me.

On top of everything else, it's made to run 3 monitors right out of the box. It has very good speed. And it's cheaper than dirt!

What you have to decide is just what do you want to do with your current computer. That motherboard has PCI Express 2.0 slots. I'm sure, you can get better video with that motherboard, but there are limits.

Your motherboard will get little benefit from the fastest PCI Express 3.0 video cards out there.

Because of limitations, my system will not benefit from anything better than the Radeon HD 68xx series card that I have.

You have a similar problem. You CAN put a PCI Express 3.0 card in your MB. IT WILL WORK..

So if you intend to upgrade the motherboard & CPU later, go ahead and get the best card that you can afford. You can use it later.

On the other hand, I would not recommend a PCI Express 2.0 card. Even if you can't use the full power of a PCI Express 3.0 card, the updated design will give you better results.

With all that in mind I would recommend any Radeon HD graphics card.

And the Asus AMD Radeon HD 7750 Graphics Card Would work very well for you.

It has 1GB of GDDR5. It runs at 820MHz & 4600MHz internally.

It doesn't require a huge power supply. And you may have to listen carefully to hear if the fan is running. :D

Image Image

In the end, you can go with option 2 and 3 for about 100 GBP and be quite happy. Much happier in fact, than going with a faster video card alone!

One last thing. If you go with option 2 & 3 you could use them later on a new system. Win/Win.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby zeberdee » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:14 pm

Hi Oldairmail many thanks for the help I will find out tomorrow the speed of the Phenom. The card sounds good will just have to drop some hints to the better half :) Again many thanks Chris
zeberdee
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:17 pm

Well, Christmas is coming. I keep telling everyone that I want Amazon gift cards. That's how I bought most of my flight stuff.

One thing that I think is strange.

Most sales are before Christmas, as you would expect.

But prices go way up after Christmas.

I would expect that retailers would want to clear out their old inventory for the new year.

Good luck.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Return to Hardware