Replacing the motherboard

Graphics Cards, Sound Cards, Joysticks, Computers, etc. Ask or advise here!

Replacing the motherboard

Postby Bubblehead » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:48 am

My present mobo is an Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0. It's specs listed the following expansion slots: 2 x PCIe 2.0 x 16 slots (Dual @x16/x16 speed) and 2 x PCIe 2.0 x 16 slots (Black@4 speed). My video card is a Diamond Radeon HD 7770 PCIe 3.0. The PC was working fine but then I started having video problems (black screen). I replaced the video card with a Radeon HD 7790 (PCIe 3.0) but the video problem persisted. Then I decided to install a PNY Nvidia Quadro 600 which is a PCIe 2.0 video card and the problem went away. The Quadro 600 however seem inadequate to meet the requirement of the FSX in that I had to place my settings at a much lower level otherwise the PC freezes and need to restart. So I'm thinking of replacing the motherboard with 3.0 expansion slots. I'll keep the 3.50 GHz AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core AM3+ processor. My question is: Will I need to reload the OS (Win7 Ultimate 64 Bit)? Also is there a good PCIe 2.0 video card in the market if I decide to go with a new video card instead?
Bubblehead
Captain
Captain

Return to Hardware