New Custom built PC purchase

Graphics Cards, Sound Cards, Joysticks, Computers, etc. Ask or advise here!

New Custom built PC purchase

Postby ual902 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:02 am

Hi,

So I'm back to FSX after having not been playing FSX since 2010, what Custom built PC should I get from either tigerdirect.com or Newegg.com? or should I just get a Dell? I need a case, motherboard, graphics card.

Cheers-
ual902
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: New Custom built PC purchase

Postby OldAirmail » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:52 am

A great many have an emotional bias for, or against, one brand or another. So my suggestions will be on the generic side.

I've only bought one complete system, back in the '90s. For the most part I've replaced internal parts as I felt the need, or as a great sale would offer itself.

For that reason I've stayed away from the big brand names. I don't know if they still do this, but it used to be that the internal parts were made in such a way that you, pretty much, had to buy parts from the manufacture.

So it's not that they cant make great computers. I simply don't want to spend the extra money to buy upgrade parts from them.

There are a few things, though, that I think are important.

Graphics. A good graphics card that will drive 3, or more, monitors. A minimum of 1GB DDR5, 2GB would be better. AND DX-11! FSX doesn't use DX-11, but if you want to move over to the new Prepar3d V2, you'll need it.

The above will give you flexibility and won't cost you as much as you might think. But almost any video card that you buy today will be well beyond what the creators of FSX had at the time.

Memory. Start with 8GB. I know that FSX can't even use 4 BG, but with the supporting programs that I run along side of FSX I normally tie up 5.5 GB.

CPU. I have a i5 2400K 3.3MHz. It was bought with the intention of overclocking it. So far I haven't needed to do that. But the i7 has come down in price quite a bit, so you may want to get one.

If you stay with FSX, speed is more important.

Motherboard. Get one with lots of USB ports. I've maxed out mine. I have 13 in use at the moment, most are used for additional monitors and flight add-ons.

Side note - Although most flight simmers have preferred NVIDIA video cards in the past, I have a Radeon HD 6850 with 1GB of DDR5. This lowly card is driving 6 monitors and a little Saitek monitor.

With most of the sliders pushed to the max, I get between 35 to 45 FPS.

Side Note 2 - A great place to look for hardware info it Tom's Hardware. Good luck.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby Bass » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:10 am

I agree with OAM.
One thing tho, about the MB, be sure you get one that can handle most of the new stuff out there (AMD + Nvidia)....... (I know tomorrow is another day, but...)
Toms Hardware is my favorit when checking HW ;)
"Just try to be YOU"!............ Kurt 

System. GA-X58A-UD3R, i7-950QC, Corsair XMS3 18GB 2000, GTX 780 tf 3GB, Corsair CMPSU-850, 24 BenQ 120, TM Hotas cougar, win7 pro.
Bass
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:24 pm

Here's a timely article for you from Tom's Hardware;

Best Graphics Cards For The Money: October 2013

And another one;

System Builder Marathon, Q3 2013: $1300 Enthusiast PC

It has links for;

Day 1: The $650 Gaming PC
Day 2: The $1300 Enthusiast PC
Day 3: The $2550 Performance PC
Day 4: Performance And Value, Dissected
Day 5: The $350 Bonus Entry-Level PC

Shopping for parts can be fun when you have reliable info.

Once you've decided on the right parts go to PriceWatch to get an idea of the best prices.

If you don't feel up to putting everything together yourself, ask a friend if they'll show you how it's done. A lot of people take pride in their knowledge and abilities. Just make sure that you pay for the pizza. :D
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Return to Hardware