Saitek Profile Editor Problems

Graphics Cards, Sound Cards, Joysticks, Computers, etc. Ask or advise here!

Saitek Profile Editor Problems

Postby c130lover » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:31 pm

Hello, I have a X52 pro (a three mode stick) and I really need the profile editor to work. However, when I load up the editor, whenever I try to do anything at all, I get a big mean CTD. I've tried updating drivers, etc. but to no avail. Saitek 'support' hasn't responded to me after 4 months. I'm really desperate here. I know other people have had my exact problem, however either they can't fix it or they don't post how they did fix it. I believe it's a problem with windows 7 64 bit. Any suggestions/comments are appreciated.
c130lover
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: Saitek Profile Editor Problems

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:57 pm

I'm not the best one here to answer this, as I don't have an X52. But as no one else has responded, I'll offer what I can. I'll try to be general.

Sometimes the built in uninstaller doesn't remove EVERTHING. This is especially true of drivers. Programs often uninstall only the program and not the settings.

There was a special, but free, program that would completely remove drivers and ALL of their settings. It's somewhat like REVO Uninstaller, it does a very though job. You'll have to search for something like "driver uninstaller".

I used it about 2 years ago to resolve a video driver problem, but don't recall what it was called.

If that doesn't work, download CCleaner. Click on the "tools" icon on the left. You'll need to stop any auto-start programs that you think might be causing the problem. It's up to you as to what can, and what can't, be stopped.

As an example of how tricky it can be, my motherboard has an auto-start program that does a full diagnostic. It takes more time than I want to spend on a computer startup so I used various programs to stop it from starting up each time I started the computer. NOTHING worked. The program always came back. Finely I had to track down the program name (not always easy to do) and rename it so that whatever was calling it couldn't find it.

My original Logitech joystick was like that too. They must have assumed that I wanted to play a game EVERTY time I started my computer. I got tired of manually closing the Logitech program after starting the computer.

Question - Are you using Windows 7? IF so try restoring it from an earlier "Restore" point. That works very well for driver problems.

In so far as getting support from Saitek you might do better to use a Ouija board.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby c130lover » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:08 pm

Thanks for the reply. I've uninstalled the drivers manually (even going through the registry) in the past. I'm pretty sure it's not a driver problem, but a compatibility issue. However, I will give it a try again. After all, what do I have to loose? I think I'll try the Ouija Board as a last resort before trying to conjure spirits. Then I'll try Saitek Support again.
c130lover
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby OldAirmail » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:54 pm

Just for the heck of it; download Revo Uninstaller, the free version.

Reinstall the drivers, and then run Revo Uninstaller. You will be surprised at how much gets left behind.

Once you get used to Revo you'll find it very easy. If you're nervous about letting it clean out your registry it'll offer to make a backup for you.

Like I said you will be surprised at how much it'll remove.

But you may be right.

Good luck.
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:18 pm

Drivers are mean mother truckers to get rid of!

I've just updated my video drivers and a key part of it STOPPED WORKING! :angry-fire:

So I found the program that I had used before. It's called Driver Sweeper. This is an older version but it works just fine, even with Win 7 Pro 64bit. AND it's free.

There is a newer version, a so called "update", sold by another company. I guess that the author sold off his interest in the software to Treexy. They call it Driver Fusion. As I said, Driver Sweeper works just fine for me.

My video card problem
(I bet this sounds familiar)

The offending driver/software wasn't listed in Revo so I had to use Windows uninstaller.

I tried reinstalling the previous version. No Good.

I uninstalled that version and installed the version before that. No good.

So I tracked down Driver Sweeper. If you have Win 7, use System Restore to save a copy of your current state. I didn't need to use it, but I can't tell what may happen on someone else’s computer. (And if you're working with your video software you sure as $h!% better know how to start in safe mode.)

After using Driver Sweeper I restarted my computer and reinstalled video driver/software. No good, same problem.

Next I uninstalled it, ran Driver Sweeper, and THEN ran CCleaner.
THIS TIME the new video drivers/software worked perfectly! :clap: :dance: :happy-jumpeveryone: :banana-wrench:
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Return to Hardware