The poor mans sim pit

Graphics Cards, Sound Cards, Joysticks, Computers, etc. Ask or advise here!

Re: The poor mans sim pit

Postby OldAirmail » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:28 pm

For those following the DSD button box, here's the final labeling. At least for now. :D

EVERYTHING works as labeled. For the most part it's no more complicated than assigning commands to the buttons on a joystick.

Needless to say, this box is simply a set of encoders, switches, and buttons. You can use it for ANY type of flying that you want - Big Tubes to Bush planes.

Give that stupid keyboard a kick in the pants to show that you don't need it all that much!
.. .
Get the most out of your controls - SPAD.neXt

. . . . . .Any time, any plane, any weather.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . Prepar3d V4
OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:38 pm

One last thought

I'd though of different ways to mount it, but in the end I tilted it back and it just happens to be the perfect angle. :D

I'll have to make some kind of angle brackets to get it off the cable, but they may be detachable. As is, when I'm done using it I pull the cable and put it under my desk.

So it's simple to us, simple to put away.

.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby OldAirmail » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:41 pm

What do three monitors do for you?

For one thing, you certainly get a panoramic view. There's a little angular distortion at the far ends, but you get use to it very quickly, as most of your attention is toward the middle.

Another thing about having all that screen space is that landings are much easier. Anyone who can use a laptop and land a plane is a FAR better pilot than I am. :D

This setup works GREAT if you have a TrackIR. Note - DO NOT buy the "Track Clip Pro" head tracker unless you want a long and heavy cable getting in your way. The cap attachment works perfectly, and is very light weight.

My three monitors are ASUS VS238H-P 23" Full HD 1920x1080. All three were bought over about a three year period when they were on sale. It works out MUCH better if you can buy three at one time, trust me.

Each screen measures 20 inches wide, by 11.3 inches high, not counting the bezel.

The monitor have thin bezels, and I have them overlapping.

Technically, this picture is 60 inches wide, by 11.3 inches high.

But I have the left & right monitors at a slight inward angle, so the actual far left to far right edges is 55 inches. A poor mans surround screen monitor.

Cost for the monitors new is about $110 - $120 each. Sales are very easy to find.

This is a takeoff from Newark Liberty International, opposite New York City. Before resizing the pictures for Simviation, the picture width is 5760 by 1080 pixels (60 inches by 11.3 inches).

The video card is an XFX Radeon RS RX 480 with 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5. FPS in these screen shots are about 17 to 19 FPS.

The FPS may sound on the low side, but Prepar3d has almost all the settings maxed out and is VERY smooth. No artifacts or hesitations of any kind.

If you feel the need to justify the cost, think of it this way - It's MUCH cheaper than a vacation, and you can fly the entire world. :D

If you have to justify it to a wife, tell her that it's cheaper than having a few drinks with your pals every weekend. :lol:
.. .

OldAirmail
Major
Major

Postby fuzevt » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:52 pm

HALELUJAH, FELLOW FLIGHTSIMMER THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIPS IT TOOK A WHILE AFTER NOT GETTING ANY ASSISTANCE FROM SPAD, YOUR SIMPLE GUIDE ON SAITEK SWITCH PANEL GOT ME THROUGH....THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!
fuzevt
Ground hog
Ground hog

Previous

Return to Hardware